Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2004 2:40:42 AM EDT
Some of you saw my post a few weeks ago about a guy who works in a gun shop telling me that civilians should not be allowed to have .50BMG rifles because they are weapons of mass detruction.

I had a few minutes to kill before I had to be somewhere and the shop was close, so I decided to kill some time browsing the displays.  I got to talking handguns with this same guy.  Two things that came out of the discussion:

1. If you are using a handgun for personal defense it shouldn't be too big (caliber).  That way you can't be accused of using excessive force.

2. If you have kids you should not tell them that you have guns in the house. (When he said this I told him that my 13-year old daughter is well trained and proficient with handguns).

Again, I was just awestruck with what I'd heard.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:47:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Its amazing what you hear at some places.  Thats one of the reasons I dont go to gunstores that much
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:54:16 AM EDT
[#2]
That and they jack up the prices for the unwitting suckers who actually shop there. Everything is cheaper on the net.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:02:33 AM EDT
[#3]
those two gems could get somebody killed ! what an asshat.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:10:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep.

When we got back in the car my wife reaffirmed her commitment to put as many large holes in a bad guy as possible, and to ensure that our kids are educated and trained in the safe handling of firearms.

My wife.  I think I'll keep her.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:13:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Does he happen to be from Coward or Sugar Tit, South Carolina?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Comment #1 is why my HG caliber of choice is .25 and I use the .22 lr for the 'long range' work.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:56:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Comment #1 is why my HG caliber of choice is .25 and I use the .22 lr for the 'long range' work.

Might want to switch to .22 shorts, overpenetration can be a real problem with the .22lr.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#9]
That man is a complete moron and doesnt need to be giving advice
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:59:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:01:12 AM EDT
[#11]
You would be surprised at how many people give me shit because I often have unattended firearms and ammo within my kids reach at my house.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:13:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I know a couple of guys who are only too happy to tell you that if you shoot somebody on the front step you should drag them inside before the cops get there. Can't wait for somebody to do that and then tell the cops "Well Mark said I should do so I don't get in trouble."
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:24:16 AM EDT
[#13]
What a DA.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#14]
There is always a certain amount of "cover your ass" thinking taking place at gun shops.  

There is a lot of uninformed thinking out there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I think you should stop shopping there.  What a nutbag.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I go into some gun stores and fuck with the people that work there. There is one that I make a habit of going to because the guys that work there are total pricks. About a week ago they had a BM and I asked the know it all how to take the A2 stock off. I could tell he was getting squirmish when he started to pop the take down pins out. He messed around with it for a bit and said " I've seen it done, but don't remember how". I then told him the procedure then left laughing. Then there was the time about 2 months ago when they were selling a then preban colt 9mm for $2500.00. A customer was arguing with them that a colapsable stock was against the law.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#17]

1. If you are using a handgun for personal defense it shouldn't be too big (caliber). That way you can't be accused of using excessive force.

2. If you have kids you should not tell them that you have guns in the house.

Sounds like this guy plucks his pearls of wisdom straight from his ass.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

1. If you are using a handgun for personal defense it shouldn't be too big (caliber). That way you can't be accused of using excessive force.

2. If you have kids you should not tell them that you have guns in the house.

Sounds like this guy plucks his pearls of wisdom straight from his ass.

, I can hear it now, Gee officer, I shot him with my Lorcin 25 here, so you cant arrest me, since I used a small caliber.....
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#19]
That's pretty ridiculous.

But I've heard much more ridiculous things than that in gun shops.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#20]
We have a local shop where the manager was opposed to concealed carry in Missouri.  After two break-ins this year (the first was local Russian wannabe mob that tore the back door off the building, the second was disadvantaged folks from the St. Louis inner city that crashed through the front of the building with a stolen car), guess who is carrying now?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Again, I was just awestruck with what I'd heard.  

Don't be. There are minimum wage idiots everywhere. The twit likes the job because he can pretend to be a big shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top