BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2004 10:54:02 PM EDT
filmforce.ign.com/articles/553/553710p1.html?fromint=1

Foxx Headed to Miami
Miami Vice that is.

October 04, 2004 - Latino Review got a chance to speak with Jamie Foxx while the latter was doing press for his forthcoming release, Ray. The site asked Foxx about the rumors that he'll be playing Detective Ricardo "Rico" Tubbs in Universal's Miami Vice feature film.

"Yeah man, it's happening," Foxx confirmed. And will Foxx's Ali and Collateral director Michael Mann helm the big-screen version of the TV series he executive produced? Foxx thinks "hopefully he will."

In related news, Moviehole reports a rumor that "Mann would like Tom Cruise to play Sonny Crockett. Take it with a grain of salt for now, but it wouldn't be surprising if Mann wanted Pearly Whites, having apparently got along well together on Collateral."
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
TOM CRUISE as Crockett?

Man, that just ain't right...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I have to agree with you on that one, but Mann isn't going to let the series that put him on the map be screwed up because of Foxx.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Hollywood screws up another one
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
How about bringing back all of the old cast? they are all still kicking. They are probably going to screw it up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup.  Old cast or it'll be a turd.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 for another wasted project.  Tom Cruise?  Jamie Foxx?  ....brother

ETA: Someone really likes Miami Vice to have an org website.  MiamiVice.org
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I know Im not planning on seeing this.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Goddamnit, what about his movie about Victor Bout?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Vin Diesel as crockett and Mario Van Peebles as tubbs
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#11]
DUPE!!
I posted this weeks ago!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=275590
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#12]

DO DO DO, DO DO DO, DO DO DO, DO DO DO, DO DO DO ...........

There's trouble on the street tonight
I can feel it in my bones
I had a premonition
That he should not go alone
I knew the gun was loaded
But I didn't think he'd kill
Ev'rything exploded and the
Blood began to spill
So baby here's your ticket
Put the suitcase in your hand
Here's a little money now
Do it just the way we planned
You be cool for twenty hours
And I'll pay you twenty grand
I'm sorry it went down like this
Someone had to lose
It's the nature of the bus'ness
It's the smuggler's blues
Smuggler's blues

The sailors and the pilots
The soldiers and the law
The payoffs and the ripoffs
And the things nobody saw
No matter if it's heroin, cocaine or hash
You've got to carry weapons
Cause you always carry cash
Thre's lots of shady characters
Lots of dirty deals
Ev'ry name's an alias
In case somebody squeals
It's the lure of easy money
It's gotta very strong appeal
Perhaps you'd understand it better
Standin in my shoes
It's the ultimate enticement
Smuggler's blues

See it in the headlines
You hear it ev'ry day
They say they're gonna stop it
But it doesn't go away
They move it through Miami
Sell it in L.A.
They hide it up in Telluride
I mean it's here to stay
It's propping up the governments
Of Columbia and Peru
You ask any D.E.A. man
He'll say there's nothin we can do
From the office of the President
Right down to me and you
Me and you
It's a losing proposition
But one you can't refuse
It's the politics of contraband
Smuggler's blues

SMUGGLERS BLUES

By Glenn Fry

Loved that series.  

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"  

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:39:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Once again Hollyweird has no original ideas and they have to recycle old TV Shows as a new movie.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#14]
My all time favorite TV show.

Unfortunately,  I won't be seeing the movie with Ton Cruise as Crockett and Jamie Foxx as Tubbs.

Michael Mann is off his rocker...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:10:20 AM EDT
[#15]
That sucks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:21:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I used to really like that show, but as I see a few reruns --- I find it is so dated that it is no longer interesting.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:24:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Once again Hollyweird has no original ideas and they have to recycle old TV Shows as a new movie.

Not automatically a bad idea, if done right.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:25:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#19]
They should have the old cast be the bad guys.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yup.  Old cast or it'll be a turd.

It was a turd when it was on TV.  It'll be an even bigger turd on the big screen.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Think they will bring back G Gordon Liddy??
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#23]
The arc of an actor's career as explained by Don Johnson:

Who is that guy?

Who is Don Johnson?

Get me Don Johnson!

Get me someone like Don Johnson!

Get me the next Don Johnson!

Who is Don Johnson?

Who is that guy?

Tom Cruise?

Naaaah.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:38:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Considering what they did to Mission:Impossible and Starskey & Hutch, I remain extremely skeptical.

I'm with Styer. Another cherished memory down the tubes.....
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Forget the movie, just let me get a new Bren Ten
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#26]
They better get Edward James Olmos.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I used to really like that show, but as I see a few reruns --- I find it is so dated that it is no longer interesting.

I agree.  The TV show has not held up over time.  What seemed new and exciting when I watched the first run episodes, now seems played out and kinda blah due to the scripts.   It may also be because Miami Vice's mood and style were copied ad-nauseum in the following years.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I think this provides that answer to the question asked in this thread

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=281855
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I took a course from Matt Burkett a few years ago.  

He, like so many instructors, usually starts out his class by going around the room asking people to introduce themselves and talk a little bit about how you got into shooting.

Everybody was like, "I'm so-and-so, and I got into shooting because I wanted to learn how to defnd myself and family /My Dad or friend or husband got me into shooting/I just enjoy shooting..." and so on and so on.

I was tha last one to go.  I said,

"Hi everybody, my name is Dolomite - and did you ever see that episode of Miami Vice where Ross Seyfried plays a hit man - and there's that one scene in the first 5 minutes where he goes from a surrender position to executing a perfect Mozambique on a guy in about a second?  After that, I just knew I was going to get into pistol shooting."

Matt's eyes light up and he starts nodding rapidly, "Oh yeah man!  I just saw that episode last week!  Cool!"

Nothing Michael Mann does can be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Two great episodes of Miami Vice, before it "Jumped the Shark" (around its third/fourth season.)

1. "Out Where the Buses Don't Run" -  w/Bruce McGill ("D-day" from "Animal House") & David Strathairn.  McGill played an insane retired detective brought in to help hunt down a once disappeared Coke dealer who beat the rap on a case he worked on years ago .  Strathairn played his former partner.  An awesome twisted ending with Dire Straits' great "Brothers In Arms" playing over the top..  My description doesn't even do justice to how good an episode this was.  

2. "Definately Miami" - w/Ted Nugent.  The Nuge played a psychopath thug in this one and did a heck of a job.  Another great last scene featuring a perfectly matched song (Godley & Creme's "Cry").   I still can't get the image of cars buried in the sand out of my mind.

That first epsiode mentioned w/McGill is better than most movies.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#33]

edit: cranky sisters get annoyed when you steal threads.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

"Hi everybody, my name is Dolomite - and did you ever see that episode of Miami Vice where Ross Seyfried plays a hit man - and there's that one scene in the first 5 minutes where he goes from a surrender position to executing a perfect Mozambique on a guy in about a second?  

I remember that. I have NEVER seen anyone move that fast before!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#35]

Bushido "surf's up"

Viking Bikers from Hell
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:08:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Best one was the one with Bruce Willis as the international arms dealer.

Yep...

Or:

Evan
The one with John Leguizamo as Calderon Jr.
Smuggler's Blues
The one in NYC

etc....

I still have both the soundtrack and Jan Hammer's "Escape From Television" album. LOVED that music!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll give Michael Mann the benefit of the doubt on this movie project. I think it will be OK, AS LONG AS MANN IS DIRECTING! If we hear later that Mann has jumped ship, well look out. I would really hate to see my long time favorite TV series turned into an embarassing comedy like the recent "starsky and Hutch" turd.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:29:45 PM EDT
[#39]
HEAT was a TV movie before it hit the big screen. Came out in 1989, it was called LA Take Down. It's the PG rated version of HEAT, pretty much the same movie, just different actors, weapons ( no FNC,the good guy uses a SPAS-15) and a few different scenes.

A big screen Miami Vice will be interesting, not sure it will be anything other than a third installment of Bad Boys...but we shall see.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:56:46 PM EDT
[#40]
There was a TV show that was very similar to Heat called Robbery Homocide Division.  Starring Tom Sizemore as the Lt. of his squad and had very similar camera work, etc.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0315686/

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Best one was the one with Bruce Willis as the international arms dealer.

Good one , also the ones with G.Gordon Liddy, Phil Collins,Glen Frye, and Ted Nugent.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about bringing back all of the old cast? they are all still kicking. They are probably going to screw it up.

Have you seen Tubbs lately? I don't think he ever left any chicken wings in the basket over the past 20 years.

Oh is that bad huh? I haven't seen the guy that plays Tubbs since the show left the air years ago. I enjoyed the show tremendously, especially the gun play. All of the anti-gunners back then thought that this show was a lesson in weapons training.

I'm listening to the sound track from the TV show right now. My favs are You Belong to the City by Glenn Fry, In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins, and Flashback & Evan by Jan Hammer.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Evan by Jan Hammer.

Totally kick-ass tune!

Has anyone seen the Good Times episode where Phillip Michael Thomas played Thelma's Jamaican boyfriend?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#44]

2. "Definately Miami" - w/Ted Nugent. The Nuge played a psychopath thug in this one and did a heck of a job. Another great last scene featuring a perfectly matched song (Godley & Creme's "Cry"). I still can't get the image of cars buried in the sand out of my mind.

Wasn't that episode where Nuge blew up Crockett's black Daytona with a LAWS? The look on Sonnys face was priceless.  episode also featured several Nuge tunes too.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Vin Diesel as crockett and Mario Van Peebles as tubbs

God Damn I hope that's a joke with the vin no talent and feebles!
Sounds like their gonna fuck this one up real good.  I bet they are too scared to roll out the testarossa as well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:01:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I would prefer for them to make a parody out of it. Let a Zucker instead of Mann take it on.

You could have Crockett shaving but the stubble just stays. It is an easy show to write gags for.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Go all out.   Sean Connery as the Lt.  Rosie McLard as one of the girls.  The black guy from Kangaroo Jack as Tubbs.  Richard Simmons as Crockett.  
But don't fuck with Izzie & Noogie!  They were the real stars of the show.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#48]
That wasn't Ross playing the shooter,  Jim Zubiena was the assassin.

Arc

And yes he is quick and the moves looked great.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Hi everybody, my name is Dolomite - and did you ever see that episode of Miami Vice where Ross Seyfried plays a hit man - and there's that one scene in the first 5 minutes where he goes from a surrender position to executing a perfect Mozambique on a guy in about a second?  

I remember that. I have NEVER seen anyone move that fast before!

You know what's really cool?  The year he did that episode, my partner beat him at the Bianchi Cup.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top