Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 9:11:06 PM EDT
Ok, I am getting mixed messages on whether it is legal for a non-FFL/FFL to make rifles from imported parts kits and recievers. Here is what I here some people claiming...

"Actually, the IMPORTER is restricted from building a firearm on R/R receiver. I am NOT the importer.
I AM prohibited from building a Non Sporting Firearm (as banned by Bush, Sr. in 1989) on this receiver.
I am NOT building a Non Sporting Firearm."

I Read an ATF letter today that stated....

VVVVVPARAPHRASING---VVVVVV
"Parts kits for some time have been sold with the stipulation that the barrels cannot be imported for anything other than repair or replacement only BUT then I heard that only the IMPORTER cannot use them to create new weapons and that Joe Bloe down the street or whatever gun maker buys them from the importer can use them to build new weapons."

But then I read from the SAME letter  that refers to the ATF guide that FFLs are not allowed to sell imported recievers to people whom they believe will be building NEW weapons with them. Is this only if they do not contain the required # of U.S. parts or is it because they must file as the manufacturer of the wepaon and if they do such it is then legal to do so?

So, who is building the Aks and FALs that have been sold, assembled and over the counter, all over the place with importer recievers and parts kits? Are the parts being brought in by an importer, then sold to a "manufacturer" who then sells to a dealer or distributor who then sells to Joe Blow?

Assembly restrictions are placed on the IMPORTER, and that if you use the needed # of U.S. parts the rifle will go from a NON-sporting config to a sporting one as defined by the 89 import ban?

Ok...Did I confuse anyone yet with what I am asking? I get so tired trying to make sense of ATF letters that seem to contradict themselves....

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
No one has any insight into this? I need someone who speaks A.T.F. to interpret....

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#2]
This issue has been addressed on AK47.net and other AK boards.  I don't know the ins and outs, but I believe it is legal for a private individual to build a gun for their own use that they cannot sell.  They can use a parts kit, but not an imported receiver. They must also have the right number of U.S. compliance parts to classify it as domestic in order to have the pistol grip, high cap mag, etc.  I think that is the way it works.

I'm not a lawyer.  I don't even play one on TV.

There has to be a legal reason somewhere, because I'm sure the thousands and thousands of parts kits sold in this country haven't all been used to make dummy guns.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top