Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 7:22:31 PM EDT
Here is the response. My letter is below.

Dear Sir or Madam:

I assure you I have personally read your e-mail. However, due to the volume of messages received, I cannot give a personalized response to each to you.

However, here in a nutshell is a general response:

Because I publicly stated how I am going to cast my vote, almost all of you have threatened a boycott against my company.

So be it.

I took a position, and now I will accept the consequences.

I am still going to do my absolute best to make great tools and hope that you and all Americans, of every political affiliation, will find them of value. If not today, someday.

For those of you who have sent e-mails of support, thank you.

Tim Leatherman
President
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 7:13 PM
To: Mktg-1
Subject: business and politics

Dear Leatherman Tools,

I have enjoyed your products for many years and keep a PST II on my belt at all times. There have been many instances that it has saved my ass at critical times. It saved me when I was stranded on the side of the road. It saved me from embarrassment when I needed a can opener at a barbeque I hosted at the lake.

What I find slightly disturbing is that recently your company has stated that it endorses John Kerry and John Edwards. I think that you have made a monumental mistake by venturing into politics. To say that President Bush will make our air unbreathable and our water undrinkable is incredibly naive if not irresponsible. It can be argued that additional terror attacks would pose an even greater threat to our air and water. However, I am not here to debate our politics. I am here to say to stick to what you do best. You are tool makers, and by jumping into the political arena, you threaten your customer base. I am sure that there are many Leatherman owners and buyers who are Republicans and many who will vote Bush. In fact, you probably have more than a couple of employees that are going to vote for President Bush.

While I will still consider buying a Wave, I will also be looking more closely at other options.

Sincerely,

-name erased-

He just told us to go screw ourselves. Well screw him. I thought my letter was fair and cordial and he tells me to go fuck myself.  Now I am positive that I won't buy any of his products.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Well at least he is sticking to his guns and not changing if his company is in jeapardy.

But a dumb mistake for a tool maker to run in politics.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#2]
he admits its a form letter response.  Aimed more at the people saying "I'll never buy another leatherman's again" than you.

I guess I wouldn't be so pissed off about it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top