Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 6:22:56 PM EDT
For the longest time, 1911s never appealed to me.  Until last year when I started shooting a friend's Les Baer.  I have heard the 1911 sickness is as bad, if not worse, than the dreaded BRD.

It started today, I got a new Kimber TLE II.  Man, I like this gun.  I can see how they are addictive.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The force is poweful with the 1911, yes...do not attempt to overcome it.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
all guns are addictive

sans the shitty guns such as hi-point or jennings.........................perhaps i should say instead, excellent gun craftsmanship is addictive
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Last Man Standing did it for me.  Lo to the unwitting BG that trys to come up against me and my 1911.  Those things will knock a full grown man 40-50 feet through the air like a thrown rag doll!

When I collect my Powerball winnings there will be a lot less orphaned 1911s out there.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the club, and congrats on the new purchase (nice choice BTW!).

There really is absolutely nothing else in the world quite like the 1911. It is much like the AR15, in as much as it is a near perfect design.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Resistance is futile!! Submit to the power of the 1911 or you will be destroyed!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't beat a design that's right at 100 yrs old and is still kicking the crap out of all comers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Ah Kimber TLE II, my next purchase.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
We will see him at the meeting this weekend.

"Hi, I am racer934 and I am a 1911-o-holic."

MT see ya there
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry - I will not be at the meeting.  I'll be at the range.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
If there is ever a Mount Rushmore for guns, the 1911 will certainly be on it.  It is one of the most efficient and well designed firearms ever made.  A milestone in firearms development.  

There is no cure.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#11]
This is my 1911. There are many like it but this one is MINE. Happiness is a warm 1911.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one, but Im not that big into them yet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#13]
With one small roll pin the ejector can be changed and then the slides and barells from many differnt calibers can make it as versital as the AR/15 platform!

I have a ten mil,40  S&W,and .45 acp all in one pistol!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Where did you pick it up at?

Who is stocking TLE IIs in CT?

- BG
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
all guns are addictive

sans the shitty guns such as hi-point or jennings.........................perhaps i should say instead, excellent gun craftsmanship is addictive

The worst thing about my Hi-Point carbine is having to stop shooting it to reload.

I hate that.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Where did you pick it up at?

Who is stocking TLE IIs in CT?

I picked it up at Valley Firearms in Shelton.

www.valleyfirearms.com
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:50:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I just don't see the big deal.

My dad has a REAL 1911 USGI issue. Nice gun, GREAT historical piece.

But they are too big for concealed carry (for me) they have the worlds MOST uncomfortable grip, I'm NOT a big fan of C&L, and I'm usually gonna be against bandwagon type things anyhow.

More 1911's for y'all.

Enjoy. Leave the Sigs alone for me.   'Cept fer the GSR - that's ALL yours.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:00:11 AM EDT
[#18]
g'man, I used to think the same thing until I started shooting them more often.

As for CCW, I have had no problem hiding a P226 and my 1911 should be no issue to do the same.  And I will not leave the Sigs alone, I will probaby get another one...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:12:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
This guy named himself after a Garand - a positively huge rifle - and he is complaining about the size of the 1911.

Hey - I support your legal right to CCW a Garand if'fn you'd like. But I wouldn't recomment it.

Garands are "huge?" Whadda you - a wuss?????  

Truth is, I pretty much suck at shooting handguns. I CAN shoot well, I just don't care to (Quigley Down Under) Handguns are primarily defensive tools to me. A handgun you don't carry is useless.

And Sigs are the schiznit of handguns, to me. Better tech, better fit in my hand.

1911's are like holding a 2x4.

Its a personal opinion thing.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:52:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just don't see the big deal.

My dad has a REAL 1911 USGI issue. Nice gun, GREAT historical piece.

But they are too big for concealed carry (for me) they have the worlds MOST uncomfortable grip, I'm NOT a big fan of C&L, and I'm usually gonna be against bandwagon type things anyhow.

More 1911's for y'all.

Enjoy. Leave the Sigs alone for me.   'Cept fer the GSR - that's ALL yours.

A man ought to shoot what he's comfortable with.  I've been shooting the 1911 for over 40 years.  Nothing fits me right out of the box like a 1911 and I hit what I aim at with it.

Your Dad's 1911A1 is at least 60 years old and built to militay specs.  It was designed as battle field weapon and was never intended for concealed carry.  There have been many changes in size, weight and capicity since then.

Although I love the 1911, there are many, many better choices for concealed carry.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:54:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

A man ought to shoot what he's comfortable with.  I've been shooting the 1911 for over 40 years.  Nothing fits me right out of the box like a 1911 and I hit what I aim at with it.

I think taht's exactly right.

d's 1911A1 is at least 60 years old and built to militay specs.  It was designed as battle field weapon and was never intended for concealed carry.  There have been many changes in size, weight and capicity since then.

Ive handles a number and shot a GSR. Didn't care for either. Tho I should prolly rent a Kimber and check them out.

I love the 1911, there are many, many better choices for concealed carry.  

I think thats it. My primary interest in handguns is CCW.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:55:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Welcome to the Kimber Klub.   I'm up to 3 now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:58:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
i have yet to find a cure for old colt diesease.

military..commercial...there is no hope for the addicted.

Where I'm from, we have a name for the cure - Sig Sauer.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:03:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Is there a preventative?  I think I'm coming down with it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:12:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Gotta stick my nose in here regarding the HiPoints. My brother and I were out back knocking down cans with my 4" Colt Python and his 9mm HiPoint. We switched on and off and I personally knocked down 3 times as many cans at 10, 20 and about 40 yards with the friggin hipoint than I did with the Colt. It ate everything we fed it and never jammed once through about 300 rounds. I paid 800.00 for my Python, he paid 99 bucks for his HiPoint.

Go figure
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is a good "reliability" resource.... helping me get mine to "run" like it should.  I am slightly bitten myself.... and once I understadn the pistol design more, I might like it more.  If I can take mine, which is finicky as all hell, and tune it to be 100%, I will become a fan.

www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/reliability_secrets.htm

and

www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/fluffandbuff.htm

I like this statement, from HERE:

"Probably the most commonly heard complaints about the 1911 .45 auto are, "It doesn't work out of the box." "It jams all the time." "You've got to put hundreds of dollars into customizing it.....and it still doesn't work!" There's a certain amount of truth to these criticisms. Every time I go to a high-level handgun training class, there's at least one other class attendee shooting a customized 1911. I have yet to see such a shooter complete a full day's training without his or her gun choking numerous times. As a matter of fact, I've seen more jams -- and experienced them myself -- with the 1911 than with all other types of handguns combined. Why is that? In this article, I'll try to address what I consider the half dozen or so most common reasons why your 1911 auto won't work. Before we start, let me make one thing very clear: I love the 1911. I've carried Colt Government Models and Combat Commanders for years, and I'm morally certain I'll carry them again. Some folks have the attitude that the 1911 is perfect -- no weak points, no improvements possible. What a nonsensical attitude! Only with a mature appreciation of the design's strong and weak points and a knowledge of the most common mistakes and pitfalls waiting to trap a 1911 user will you be able to get the most from these guns. Now, why might your 1911 auto not work? I can think of six reasons. These are, in no particular order: (1) incompetent customization, (2) inappropriate ammunition, (3) lack of lubrication, (4) cheap magazines, (5) flaws in the basic design and (6) a propensity toward small-parts breakage. "
----------------

This has been my first experience as well.  At most of the shoots I have attended... classes taken... etc... its the 1911's that have problems.  I bought one... yep, all kinds of trouble.  I think most people just dont get involved enough in learning the ins and outs of the pistol to tune it to 100% reliabilty..... or are not inclined to take the time or spend the money to do so.  The 1911, from my perspective as a total newbie.... is NOT the perfect handgun.... that just hasn't been invented yet.  A lot of good info on that site.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:25:28 AM EDT
[#29]
I own a Colt Nickel Series 70 full size and an Officer's Model. Both are terrific shooters, although the front sight post did fall off the Officer.

But that's okay because it is at the smith right now getting a set of Wilson Combat dovetail 3-dots installed!

My next 1911 will be a Para-Ordnance 14-45 for the hicap mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top