Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 3:52:28 PM EDT
I saw an article in a shooting magazine benchtesting some new rifle but that's not important.  In the article it showed a picture of the authors benchrest which included a covered chrony and a pair of fifty gallon barrels welded end to end and used as some kind of suppressor or muffler.  It looked like the end of the rifle barrel was inside the end of this contraption.  Does anyone know how this device works and how I can build one?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Baffles & chambers in the drums coupled with some sort of materiel that acts as a sponge for sound is probably what they had. No clue as to how well it would work. Based on standard acqustics (sp?), something like old blankets or moving quilts might help.

Wonder if those drums were screw-on?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I intended to make one of these. You can fill the barrels with tires that are the right size, and it supposedly works well. I have also heard of just bolting a bunch of tires together in an angle iron frame.I want to build one in consideration of my neighbors, and anyone else that might be around the house, even though I have 30 acres outside the city limits. My 100 yard range is about 60 yards from my back door.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top