Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 2:53:30 PM EDT
I got this email from a buddy.  I haven't played paintball since 1994 and have no idea what to tell him.  Suggestions?

METT-T – I hope your midterm was all the fun and good times you thought it would be.  Question for you my resident guns expert.  A bunch of us are going to hang out on a buddies 1000 acre farm north of Atlanta next week.  We wanna buy some paintball guns but for most of us it will be our only time using the thing – so we wanna drop about $100 on everything including the markers, hopper, tank, and mask (excluding balls).  Any idea on what a good package deal would be?

My roommate bought a bunch of these from Wal Mart

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2381691&sourceid=1500000000000001827240&dest=9999999997

but I can’t help but think we can do better on Ebay (below) or elsewhere.

http://search.ebay.com/paintball-package_W0QQsonewuserZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

what do you think?  What are the essentials for a good gun in that price range?

Thanks in advance, arfcom hivebrain.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Why don't you just rent them at the field?

Disregaurd.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If you spend less than $100 on everything, you are a miracle worker.

Also, if you spend that kind of money on gear, you will never enjoy the sport of paintball.  Your opinion of it will simply be "paintball sucks, the damn guns aren't worth a shit".  For entry level gear, you should expect to spend $250 for a Tippmann Model 98 starter package.  The price may have changed recently... it has been awhile since I looked at them.

If at all possible, rent the gear... then if you are still interested, buy Tippmann.

EVERY marker from Wal Mart.... EVERY MARKER is pure, 100%, grade A shit.  

There, you now have the opinion of a 6 year baller that co-operates a field.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]
F'ing paintballers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Also, if you spend that kind of money on gear, you will never enjoy the sport of paintball.  Your opinion of it will simply be "paintball sucks, the damn guns aren't worth a shit".  For entry level gear, you should expect to spend $250 for a Tippmann Model 98 starter package.  The price may have changed recently... it has been awhile since I looked at them.

If at all possible, rent the gear... then if you are still interested, buy Tippmann.

If these guys are shooting on their own property, is there any place that might rent them stuff?  Would a field operator do that?  

$100 is ridiculous, I know.  I guess the question here is "What's the best POS paintball gun you can buy?"
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
F'ing paintballers.

What's wrong with paintballers?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I own and operate GA Paintball 2.0 in Roswell, just north of Atlanta.  I worked in the industry for about 6 years and have played ball for about 12 years.  With all that out of the way, Cypher214 is exactly right.  A $100 dollar set-up is basically throwing $100 dollars away.  Play first, either with rental equipment or borrow a friends, and make sure you like the game.  Once your hooked, a Tippmann is a very reliable, upgradeable gun that will last a very long time.

Also, don't skimp of the facemask.  Buy the best that you can afford.  You only have two eyes, and one mistake with a paintball gun can take that away forever.  Back when I rode motorcycles, we always said, "If you have a ten dollar head, buy a $10 dollar helmet."  I feel the same way about the mask.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If these guys are shooting on their own property, is there any place that might rent them stuff?  Would a field operator do that?  

$100 is ridiculous, I know.  I guess the question here is "What's the best POS paintball gun you can buy?"

They should contact a local field operator and go there instead.  In my experience, the game is much more enjoyable when played on a legitimate field as opposed to a patch of woods.  Most fields have "woods courses" that are set up so that you use natural and artificial cover.  

It is very doubtful that a field operator will lend out his gear to someone who will not be playing on his field.  

There should be fields in and around Atlanta that they can play on.  That way they can cut their teeth without spending $100.  If they decide they want to keep playing, then they can buy decent gear and set up a field on the private property.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I own and operate GA Paintball 2.0 in Roswell, just north of Atlanta.  I worked in the industry for about 6 years and have played ball for about 12 years.  With all that out of the way, Cypher214 is exactly right.  A $100 dollar set-up is basically throwing $100 dollars away.  Play first, either with rental equipment or borrow a friends, and make sure you like the game.  Once your hooked, a Tippmann is a very reliable, upgradeable gun that will last a very long time.

Also, don't skimp of the facemask.  Buy the best that you can afford.  You only have two eyes, and one mistake with a paintball gun can take that away forever.  Back when I rode motorcycles, we always said, "If you have a ten dollar head, buy a $10 dollar helmet."  I feel the same way about the mask.

Tell them to see this guy and play on his place.  They will be much better off.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info, fellas. Blackplague, I'll give you a plug, but I think they're set on playing at this guy's farm.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks I'd appreciate that.  We only have speedball courses here, but have flyers for a couple of the older, wooded fields in the area.

My main concern is for their safety.  They need to be very strict about barrel plugs when anyone has his mask off, and all players must keep their mask on at all times when playing.  Also, guns can be chronoed at different speeds, including velocities much higher than the mask is rated for.  They need to take their guns to a field to have them chronoed.

Tell them to contact me.  I promise, no salesman crap, just the facts.  I want them to have fun and be safe at the same time.

Jon
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#11]
can't go wrong with a Tippmann, you can get a Model 98 for around $130
they have packages too...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#12]
A spyder is another  good quality cheap gun.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:00:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
www.gauken.no/media/tippakke.jpg

i got that package at wal mart long ago...it was nice
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
F'ing paintballers.

+1.

Write a Email back telling him to stop sucking off momma teet and to grow a pair.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
F'ing paintballers.

They like to stuff balls in their hoppers=ghey.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
F'ing paintballers.

They like to stuff balls in their hoppers=ghey.

SGatr15

I'm guessing you have never participated in a paintball game... especially one like we put on.

Imagine 12 former/current military and LEO on one team and about 25-35 folks of various ages and backgrounds on the other team.  All hell breaks loose.

I'll admit, I do not like the type of paintball that is televised.  Our games are far different.

You can't lump all paintballers into one category.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#17]
+1 on what blackplague14 said. I started playing PB in 1988 and spent most of the early '90's running a paintball store. Don't waste your money on cheap/crap guns. You generally get what you pay for. Personally, if I was gonna choose a good lower end gun, I'd have to agree with Absolut. Tippmann products are generally well made and reasonably priced. There are lots of others out there that are okay, but  just as a "quick" answer, Tippmann is always a good bet, and they're more "available" than a lot of the other brands since they're carried in lots of sporting goods places. - Have fun and make sure the newbies keep their goggles on.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:45:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.gauken.no/media/tippakke.jpg

i got that package at wal mart long ago...it was nice

yup, i've had my 98 for almost 4 years, still runs great!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:02:25 PM EDT
[#19]
head out to your nearest paintball shop.....screw wally world for paintball equipment....you can get paint for much cheaper at a shop than at wally's.....either get a tippman 98--like a tank-needs little maintenance---or get an electronic spyder---then you'll have some rapid fire/spray&pray fun
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#20]
you can score everything at walmart for dirt cheap and it'll work good as long as its not a pump.  Flame all you want but i've gotten 2 guns and had friends buy 3 more from them and they work great.  The only that sucks at walmart is the paint itself, and the new versons of the eagle talon pump guns.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:23:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You can't lump all paintballers into one category.

Why not? He's been lumping people into categories since he joined this site?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top