Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/6/2004 1:38:31 PM EDT

Dear Sir or Madam:

I assure you I have personally read your e-mail. However, due to the volume of messages received, I cannot give a personalized response to each to you.

However, here in a nutshell is a general response:

Because I publicly stated how I am going to cast my vote, almost all of you have threatened a boycott against my company.

So be it.

I took a position, and now I will accept the consequences.

I am still going to do my absolute best to make great tools and hope that you and all Americans, of every political affiliation, will find them of value. If not today, someday.
Tim Leatherman
President
Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.

Looks like Gerber or SOG from here on...I will NEVER buy another Leatherman for myself or my officers ever again. They have seen the last purchase order from this department.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, dammit.  I'm done with Leatherman, too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]
What's the deal? Did he say he was voting for kerry or something?

r/s
Dan
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
"I took a position, and now I will accept the consequences."

I wonder if all the people that are employed by him feel the same.
Guess there wont be any christmas bonuses this year.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The local TV news did a story on the company during the war where they were giving away free Leatherman's to the troops, at least thats what I recall.

So as long as the man supports the troops how he votes is his right.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Consider the consequences as guaranteed.  Enjoy your new found drop in market share, asshole.

I'll never understand why anyone in business would wreck half their sales by publically engaging in politics.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
"I took a position, and now I will accept the consequences."

I wonder if all the people that are employed by him feel the same.
Guess there wont be any christmas bonuses this year.

I guess he borrowed their balls too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#8]
He can vote for an alien for all that I care. But when he puts his company behind Hanoi John Kerry, then he is going to have to pay the piper for that blunder. I hope that many more forums besides this one have gotten this story and chose to boycott them also. Tim won't notice if he sells 100 less tools during the next year, but he WILL notice if 100,000 less are sold.

I always thought that Leathermans were overpriced anyways.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Consider the consequences as guaranteed.  Enjoy your new found drop in market share, asshole.

I'll never understand why anyone in business would wreck half their sales by publically engaging in politics.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with this statement. When did political opinion have to be made public? I was raised to keep your mouth shut. Its no one's business. Open your mouth and accept the consequences. Lovely.

Bye Leatherman.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The local TV news did a story on the company during the war where they were giving away free Leatherman's to the troops, at least thats what I recall.

So as long as the man supports the troops how he votes is his right.

You're right and we also have a right to vote as we see fit with our pocketbooks. So.....No more Leatherman's for me.

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Well hell, looks like I've bought my last Leatherman.

What a dumbass.  Just stick to business and leave politics alone.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Shit, I've never owned a Leatherman anyway.

I've always preferred the Gerber Multi-Plyer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#13]
yeah, I almost bought a Leatherman about a month ago... Gerber looked like it was made better, and did more of what I wanted it to do. Now I'm glad I went with my gut instinct on that one, I'd hate to have funded that mouthy idiot
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I got mine too....

Dear Sir or Madam:

I assure you I have personally read your e-mail. However, due to the volume of messages received, I cannot give a personalized response to each to you.

Because I publicly stated how I am going to cast my vote, almost all of you have threatened a boycott against my company.

So be it.

I am still going to do my absolute best to make great tools and hope that you and all Americans, of every political affiliation, will find them of value. If not today, someday.
Tim Leatherman
President
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 4:46 AM
To: Mktg-1
Subject: Just so you know.....

As a veteran and a patriot I embrace the right of all Americans to think freely and speak with the same freedom.

Stupidity has its price though.

I got my first Leatherman in Panama. As it had a great dgree of sentiment, I put it in my gunsafe and replaced it for daily use with an identical one that I still carried daily to work as of yesterday.

Today I will carry no knife to work, and tonight I will be going out and buying a new Gerber. Unless someone at Gerber decides to open their piehole and back Komrade Kerry.

What a shame, I really liked my Leatherman, but anyone who thinks a traitor, with the balls of a frenchman would be a good President needs their head examined.

I will share your sentiment with all my friends.

XXXXXXXXXX
Seattle, WA

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I went out and bought a Gerber the other day...screw leatherman.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#16]
No Leathermans for me.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Got the same response. My Leatherman is retired.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:05:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I always liked Leatherman Tools. Now I will buy Gerber for sure. Too bad, his loss...unfortunately this will have an effect his employees too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I've got to give him points for being willing to stand up for his views, but as pointed out it's a damn stupid thing to announce who you're supporting when you're running a company and KNOW that about half of the people out there don't agree with your position.

The only ones that will be hurt in this are the employees of Leatherman.

PS.  Just for the record, I've always been a "Gerber man" myself.  Bought my first one 10 years ago (and it's around here somewhere too).
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Yea, I got my generic e-mail reply too:
Dear Sir or Madam:

I assure you I have personally read your e-mail. However, due to the
volume of messages received, I cannot give a personalized response to
each to you.

Because I publicly stated how I am going to cast my vote, almost all of
you have threatened a boycott against my company.

So be it.

I am still going to do my absolute best to make great tools and hope
that you and all Americans, of every political affiliation, will find
them of value. If not today, someday.

Tim Leatherman
President

My complaint was that I felt no company should make a public endorsement for ANY political cantidate.  To each his own, but when the president of the company shoots back a generic e-mail with:
Because I publicly stated how I am going to cast my vote, almost all of
you have threatened a boycott against my company.

So be it.

That company deserves what it gets...or doesn't get

What an ASSHOLE!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Well hell, looks like I've bought my last Leatherman.

What a dumbass.  Just stick to business and leave politics alone.

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Hell, I mailed him mine with a letter attached telling Tim Leathergirl what he could do with it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a protest idea here

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Being the Owner/CEO of my own corporation, all I can say is, what a dumbass!

As stated, any smart businessman would keep his political views quiet. I suppose Gerber will be seeing an increase in qualified applicants in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#27]
So Mr. Leatherman says he's going to vote for the candidate of his choice and if you don't like it, you can go piss up a rope. How un-American of him!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#28]
OK, no more Leathermans.

What's a good alternative?  Show me the pics!

Merlin
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, my sledgehammer needs a workout.  What's the snail mail address of Tim Leatherman?  I have a smashed up Leatherman tool to send him. (Dammit, I liked it too.)  SOG or Gerber for me from now on.  

And to Mr. Leatherman's employees:  I am sorry to YOU for doing this, and for recommending other tools to my friends and family.  It sucks to work for a commie bastard.  Perhaps you should have some sort of company meeting, and tell your boss to STFU about some things.

Edit:  I like SOG multitools.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Since Leathermans are so devalued, these days, shout over this way if you have a couple $5 units I can put in the bottom of my range bag.   Thx.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I like my SOG PowerLock way better than my Leatherman.  Tim Leatherman is f'in Ghey.  Yup SOG or Gerber for me for now on.

SOG Powerlock
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Dear Sir or Madam:

So be it.

Tim Leatherman
President

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Being the Owner/CEO of my own corporation, all I can say is, what a dumbass!

As stated, any smart businessman would keep his political views quiet. I suppose Gerber will be seeing an increase in qualified applicants in the near future.

He can vote for whomever he wants, but when he announces to the world, I'm going to vote for xxxx, that is different. Also the group of businessmen that has endorse Kerry, will also probably make a financial contribution to Kerry's campaign committee.

Even though Leatherman originate this category of tools, there are others that are just as good. I've bought my last Leatherman tool.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
So Mr. Leatherman says he's going to vote for the candidate of his choice and if you don't like it, you can go piss up a rope. How un-American of him!

And how un-American of us to support only those that support the 2nd Ammendment, right?

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Dear Sir or Madam:

So be it.

Tim Leatherman
President

Got mine...what a ass...I hope he goes under...sorry about his employees, but he should have kept his piehole shut..
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Since Leathermans are so devalued, these days, shout over this way if you have a couple $5 units I can put in the bottom of my range bag.   Thx.

I'll send you one for free if you really want it. Note that I can't be responsible if you cut yourself on all the new jagged edges after I destroy it. On second thought I think I'll put the remains in a Gerber box and ship it to the Leatherman receiving department.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I've had a Gerber MT for four years now, and I have no complaints about it whatsoever.

r/s

Dan
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#40]
You watch, he'll eat his words! Big Time!!
I'm selling me "Super Tool", just would'nt be right to work on my guns anymore.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#41]
If you guys don't mind a tool that is a little bulkier than the Leatherman or Gerber, go quick and find a Schrade. They just closed thier doors but many stores still have them on the shelves.

I am EXTREMELY rough on tools, and the Schrade is the only one rugged enough to survive extended use by myself so far. Gerber, Leatherman, and SOG didn't cut it but the Schrade has.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't know Tim Leatherman from Tim Bucktoo.  

But I know his company because I purchased THE COMPANY's product.

If Tim Leatherman had said, "I support Kerry" that would have been fine. I can always say, "Well fuck you Tim."

However- when Tim Leatherman, of THE LEATHERMAN CO, comes out in support of Kerry using his Co's affiliation as clout,  I have no other option than to drop my support of THE CO's product...

So fuck you Leatherman et al.

SOG  Although I broke damn near every one of the blades like they were made of wood.  The pliers are damn nice although since they're geared they don't open too wide.

Gerbers are too hinky for my tastes as far as the pliers themselves go.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Not me. Not ever. Funny thing about conservative gun owners. We tend to be very loyal to our friends, and very vindictive where our enemies are concerned. Just ask K-Mart and Rosie.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Hey anyone wanta buy one? just put mine for sale in the "Blade forum"
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, I suppose it would explain the fruity "juice" line (of which I own one... a CX4... old purchase, though). In my experience, Leatherman's are pieces of crap... half the tools on mine have the crap bent out of them, the scissors won't come out, and the pliers are rusted.

I guess I'll need to buy me a SOG or Gerber...

Anybody know if Kershaw is anti-freedom? Because if I can't buy myself a nice Ken Onion, then the terrorists have already won!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Dear Sir or Madam:

So be it.

Tim Leatherman
President

Looks like Gerber or SOG from here on...I will NEVER buy another Leatherman for myself or my officers ever again. They have seen the last purchase order from this department.

Holy shit you really are pissed about this aren't you . WoW!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#47]
There isn't shit about it on the Leatherman web page.

I just called and was stonewalled by the phone bitch.
She said she knows nothing about it and that "there has been no official release or statement by the company and there is nothing about it on the web page."

I suggest that you call them toll free: (800) 847-8665
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#48]
KA3B: Personally, I'm not going to waste my time, I'm just not going to buy his f'cking no more.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#49]
 Well, looks like I don't need to replace that Leatherman I lost after all....bye bye Leatherman.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I got mine:

Dear Sir or Madam:

So be it.

Tim Leatherman
President
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 6:25 PM
To: Mktg-1
Subject: Pro-Kerry Leatherman

Hello:

I have owed your product for years. During my military service a blued leatherman took rode on my hip, one that I bought myself and still have.

Early this year I purchased one of your new purple tools for my wife to use around the house. I was also going to buy another one of your more manly tools and keep one leatherman in each car in addition to the one in the house.

I just learned that your company and its owner are supporting John Kerry openly and publicly. You have lost a customer. I just went to the Gerber site and picked out the model I will buy after work tomorrow. Your company and Tim Leatherman has spit in the face of every owner who first bought his product while in the service. I will not buy from you again. I will tell my friends not to buy from you again.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top