Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 1:15:25 PM EDT
The shotgun forum is rarely visited, so here goes....

Remington 870, just installed a Surefire forend. Everything went fine, until I began function testing it. Usually when I rack the slide back and forth, it goes perfect, however if I tilt the shotgun over to the right while doing so, the bolt locks about halfway and won't budge forward anymore. It will go back and forward up to the point of failure, but it won't go towards the barrel and lock up. The slide is not binding on the barrel or anything like that, but something is definitely wrong. If I "tap" the shotgun to on the left side rather sharply, it will then go forward into battery. The bolt face is about 1/8 to 1/16th of an inch away from the top portion of the barrel in the receiver when the stoppage occurs.

I've looked at the bolt and can't find anything that indicates a bind.

Anybody know the answer?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you remove the bolt from the action at any time during the installation?

The 2 pieces of the bolt can be assembled 2 ways...only 1 way works.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Take it to a gunsmith?!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Take it to a gunsmith?!

blasphemy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Did you remove the bolt from the action at any time during the installation?

The 2 pieces of the bolt can be assembled 2 ways...only 1 way works.

Err, yes, but i gotta check that.

I have a stupid feeling already.....but I'm pretty sure it's in there correctly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a great site.

www.shotgunworld.com

I would also order Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on Remington shotguns.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13805&title=Jerry+Kuhnhausen+SHOP+MANUALS
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
 Take it apart, blow on all the pieces and put it back together. It sounds like there is something in there. Check to make sure the little "D" shaped retaining clips are still on the pins in the trigger group and not fallen into the action.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#7]
You are not alone I had the very same thing happen when I installed my surefire on my 870. Took me forever to figure out what I screwed up. Bad news is you ruined the action and need to buy a new 870. Just kidding.
Really what I did was install the surefire at a slight angle to one side so the rails that move the action would bind up and lock the action halfway back.
Check the position of the surefire before you tighten the magazine knob to ensure it is not set to one side or the other. the problem is the surefire not the bolt or action. Trust me it took a long time to figure it out and it was only a hair off. Now it works like butter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top