Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 9:27:47 AM EDT
On the boards I frequent the French military isn't held in high regard. This got me to wondering how much truth there is to the bashing. Has anyone here ever met an active member of the French military? Are they well trained, competent professionals who are getting a bad reputation at the hands of their govt or is it deserved? How does the French army compare to other european armies (like England and Germany)?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:31:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#3]
France lost four million men in WWI.

Two hundred thousand of those in the first month of the war alone.

I tend to give them a break.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Why did the French plant trees on the main streets of Paris?............because the Germans like to march in the shade!  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:37:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I think French soldiers are just rumors, like Bigfoot.  Some people claim to have seen them, but most of us aren't convinced.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#6]
French troops (paratroopers and Foreign Legion) are decent, especially the professional soldiers that have seen duty in Africa. Problem is, most are conscripts, and so you get the rumors.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think French soldiers are just rumors, like Bigfoot.  Some people claim to have seen them, but most of us aren't convinced.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#10]
C'mon...who couldn't take these guys for anything other than the badasses they are.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:43:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Not that I like or agree with the sentiments of the French government...bunch of lying asswipes who care only for the franc, mostly, but the French do have at least a few specops (non-Legion) guys who can "walk the walk" for real. Very limited in numbers, but they do exist. Some of their GIGN guys have trained with, and are at least close to equal in potential performance to, Germany's GSG9 and others. They have also done a few operations that were very hush-hush and done well in years past.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I read an article today that the French parachuted into Kosovo. Its unclear from the article whether theyre replacements or additions to French military already there. Its odd that they decided to drop in since the last time they did this was in '78 (according to the article). Seems to me that its a show to tell the world they're still a viable force.  Anyway, this is what got me wondering how good the French military really is. I know they have a presence in the Irovy Coast at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:45:16 AM EDT
[#13]
since when did FRANCE have an ARMY????!??!!!??
maybe in during the Nepoleonic Era ...........but not recently

WWI, WWII, hundrededs of battles were fought, yet i'll bet that more FOREIGN (USofA, brits, canadians, etc.) soldiers died protecting that country than french soldiers; --france has not militarily defended itself for the past 150 yrs, they just criticise everyone else

I would rather have the brits or germans fighting w/ us than france; but i'd accept thier help

notice how recently the french have been making the news by going against the grain?
guess they are pissed that they are no longer a "major world power"--trying to get some global plublicity
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
C'mon...who couldn't take these guys for anything other than the badasses they are.  

news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/555000/images/_555536_eclipse_150.jpg

3D specs as a virtual reality training tool????  Or is he doing recon with those X-Ray glasses I used to see advertised in comic books?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#15]
From 11/01 to 11/02 I worked as a private contractor in North Mitrovica, Kosovo. My job there was training the newly formed Kosovo Police Service Officers. This area was guarded by French Military who were responsible for protecting the citizens as well as contractors. On April 8, 2002 we had a riot in North Mitrovica. During this riot 16 International Police Officers including myself were wounded. The French Military stood by and watched the entire thing happen and did NOTHING to help us. The only thing that they did that may have saved some lives, is one of the French snipers that was assigned to watch over the town from an apartment roof let us know where some of the guys that were shooting at us were hiding. But even then, he did not fire on the guys.  Finaly, the Polish sent troops into North Mitrovica to help us out. Had it not been for the Polish, I don't know how any of us would have survived that day. So to answer the first question, yes, I have met French soldiers, and no I don't think they are getting a bad rap.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#16]
How many gears does a french tank have?    

Six, 5 in Reverse, and 1 for Forward incase they are attacked from behind!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#18]
These guys are badass. But they are based in Corsica.

Foreign Legion 2ème Régiment étranger de parachutistes 2nd REP
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#19]
yea, they seem to only want to fight those who cant fight back, or let allies do the fighting and dying

A-holes
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
These guys are badass. But they are based in Corsica.

Foreign Legion 2ème Régiment étranger de parachutistes 2nd REP

Yeah, but these guys are a whole different animal than your regular French [snicker] soldier.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I trained with the French Marines(Tahitian), and the Foreign Legion.
The officers were snotty and incompetent.
Their men hated them, and were also incompetent.

They couldn't drink for shit.

The Aussies, on the other hand....

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I milled arround with some French soldiers during Team Spirit in 89.  I think they sent the equivelent to an ACR/ mech infantry brigade or something.

They seemed fairly competent, similar to the pattern of the US Army during the 50s-60s, most soldiers being short term draftees with a profesional senior NCOs and Officers.  They are an industrialized, first world nation so the soldiers are able to take training well and use complex equipment similar, equivelent and in some cases better than ours.

I can not vouch for their overall desire to fight. we did not meet them in a training engagements. My battalion was the bad guys, the French were part of the UN reinforcements.  

The special units, specifically the Paras and Legion are better.  That's the rumor anyway.  The legion used to be its best unit.  By definition the soldiers were professionals with a five year basic enlistment contract.  I don't think the Legion takes foriegners anymore, it might still be all volunteer however.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Dennis Jenkins

Screw that there a bunch of wineing
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#24]
When I deployed to Saudi Arabia in '02 we had a squadron from the French Air Force there with us. All they ever did was walk around and act superior, generate a few sorties every now and then. They sat around the pool and when they werent doing that they hung around their barracks. We SP's got along with their SP's. They were cool guys. The French pretty much kept to themselves and did their thing. I always felt bad for the one French guy who guarded their Mirages who had to wear one of those big radios on a ruck frame and walk his area around the Mirages. When I was In Kuwait this year, we had a French chopper unit there doing training, what a bunch of cock suckers. A friend of mine just asked one a question and the french guy went off on him in French. I tried to calm the guy down and he went off on me too. So I said, "France in six weeks." That was said by German soldiers quite a bit in WW2. The guy shut up and walked away. I dont know whats up with Frenchies but they are quite arrogant. Of all the foreign militiaries Ive run across they have always been the biggest dickheads. The Japanese were the coolest by far. Very respectful and professional. If you've ever worked with the British, you know you're in for a good time because theyre all commedians. Germans are nice people, sooner or later they share their beer with you. Spaniards are alot like the French too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I trained with the French Marines(Tahitian), and the Foreign Legion.
The officers were snotty and incompetent.
Their men hated them, and were also incompetent.

They couldn't drink for shit.

The Aussies, on the other hand....

The French regular army is shit.  Their morale problems are worse now than they were in the 1930s.

The Legion...it depends on the unit.  You have competant officers that treat their men like their family (as per tradition) and you have incompetant shits.  If you trained with the infantry regiment based in French Polynesia, be aware that unit is just a glorified group of laborers that occasionally pulls security for the test sites down there.  That has to be the worst posting in the entire Legion, and is the one all the guys were scared of getting.  On the other hand, you have the paras based in Corsica and the Legionnaire armored unit, which contains the engineering and specialty units of the Legion.  Those are the best units in the Legion.  The unit based in South America isn't too bad, and the unit based in Africa isn't really a cohesive unit, but more of a composite of a small infantry unit and a detachment of paras that rotates through.  Keep in mind that all Legionnaires get the crappiest equipment and the least amount of training, as compared to any other French military unit.

The Legion's enlisted men are (or were) about 40% French, but these tend to be the more adventurous Frenchmen who are trying to get away from the bullshit.  All officers are French, and come from the regular army.  Officers and NCOs in the Legion tend towards sadism in their discipline; it's the enlisted men and the tradition that make the Legion what it is.  If you put that group of soldiers together in any kind of situation, they would become an elite unit.  The quality of the average recruit and the cohesion of the Legion defy description.

All French units are hamstrung by their government.  The French government...now that's a whole other story in itself.  The regular army has the same sort of institutionalized bullshit as the government and the rest of French society.

In short, fuck the French.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I wasn't very impressed.
One of my PltSgts worked with them in Djibouti.
NOT very impressive at all.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#27]

In short, fuck the French.

+1

can't believe it took an entire page before it was said though............
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#28]
What American general said," I'd rather have the Germans in front of me than the French behind me."
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Greenpeace is sure scared of them, I know.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
How does the French army compare ...?

Ask Google  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Dennis Jenkins

You, sir, are a traitor to the neocon faith.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#33]
200 years ago, the British soldiers wore red tunics so they would not become disparaged when their fellow soldiers were shot and bleeding. Hence the French issued brown trousers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#34]
For Sale: 100,000 French Rifles. Never fired, only dropped once.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Why did the French plant trees on the main streets of Paris?............because the Germans like to march in the shade!  

Why did they cut the trees down??

AlQuaida likes to march inthe sun.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I wasn't very impressed.
One of my PltSgts worked with them in Djibouti.
NOT very impressive at all.

DLBE or REP?  And what year was this?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I heard that the French battle flag has removable red and blue panels...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#38]
All soldiers are the same.
Leadership is the only variable.
French leadership sucks, therefore the French Army sucks.
Can't blame the french soldier, only blame his pussy ass commanders.
Was that sensitive enough for you?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone who uses a FAMAS is automatically a badass.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I heard that the French battle flag has removable red and blue panels...

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I remember having to work a "multinational" entry point once.  Two man post, we shared it with the French during the day and the Brits at night.  One day the French guy I'm with points at my holster and tells me the safety is off on my M9.  He looked like he was about to faint when I told him we carried that way with one in the pipe.  He undid his flap holster and showed me his license built 92 knockoff and proceeded to give me a safety lesson on the proper (French) way to carry a sidearm:

Chamber empty, safety on.  And-a little red string that went thru the hole on the hammer, down the slide and into the chamber.  That way his armorer would know if he'd moved the slide while on duty; the string would be broken.

I don't think he understood when I told him that was the gayest thing I'd ever seen.

We also had to share shower facilities with the French.  Later in the deployment a guy on my team walked in on two French guys in the shower.  In the same stall, I mean.

'Course, they didn't shower often.  Whenever they ran in formation you could smell them before you could see them.

Whenever they saluted an officer, they had to say "Mi respecte, mon (colonel, lieutenant)."  That too was gay.  

Once I had one of them tell me that there was no true liberty in America, because we could get sent to jail for smoking pot.  

I did meet some Foreign Legionnaires once while en route to somewhere else.  Didn't work with them tho, but they seemed like pretty cool guys compared to the RA shitbags I met.  'Course, they weren't French.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#42]
[[foxworthy]When your elite forces must come from another country, you might be a pussy[/foxworthy]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
For Sale: 100,000 French Rifles. Never fired, only dropped once.

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#44]
When was the last time they won a war??

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
[[foxworthy]When your elite forces must come from another country, you might be a pussy[/foxworthy]

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#46]

I can't remember the last time the French won a war.  Question: Would it be almost 200 years ago during Napolean's reign?  Of course he eventually had his ass kicked by the English.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#48]
"French Soldier"

"Honest Politician"

"Journalistic Integrity"

"Jumbo Shrimp"

Get the idea?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Dennis Jenkins

IMHO,

Dying doesn't make a quality soldier.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Dennis Jenkins

So you are giving them a break because the French gene pool is depleted?

Ever wonder why they lost that many men in WWI or if those men could have been saved if things had been done differently prior to the WWI?  

Now after being the whipping boys of WWI and WWII, they are the jackasses of the free world.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top