Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 8:05:18 AM EDT
Rangel's Class War
October 6, 2004; Page A18

No, no, no, and no. That's the unequivocal response every time an executive branch official is asked whether there's a secret plan to bring back the military draft. "There is certainly no one in the Bush Administration who has any idea like that at all," Donald Rumsfeld said Monday. "I don't even believe there's any Republican that I've heard of in the Congress who has that idea." He might have added that the senior military leadership hates the prospect most of all.

But sometimes it takes an act of Congress to kill a politically mischievous rumor. This was the hope yesterday of House Republican leaders, who decided to schedule a vote on the Universal National Service Act, sponsored by New York Democrat Charles Rangel. Under Mr. Rangel's proposed law, "all persons" -- including women -- would be required to perform military or civilian service "in furtherance of national defense and homeland security." Mr. Rangel wants the draft to return because he figures if rich kids from Harvard have to serve with the middle-class kids who dominate the service ranks, then a President would be less likely to go to war.

We went to press too early to see the final floor vote. But in the end even Mr. Rangel was expected to oppose his own bill, calling the Republicans' rush to bring the bill to a vote "a prostitution of the legislative process."

If Mr. Rangel is serious about getting more rich kids into the military, we have a suggestion: Prevail upon Harvard and other elite schools to allow the Reserve Officer Training Corps back on campus. Harvard kicked ROTC off campus during the Vietnam War, and students have to travel across town to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to take military classes. Making it easier for them to join the military would be a lot easier on everyone than bringing back the draft.

online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB109702020211137352,00.html?mod=opinion
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Shot down 402 to 2.

Rangel voted against his own bill.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#2]
This is PRECISELY the kind of political bullsh*t that ought to be stopped in washington. But so long as people like Wrangle are elected, the Republic is not safe.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Shot down 402 to 2.

I caught that. What a lying asshat hypocrite.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Shot down 402 to 2.

Yeah.  I heard on the new yesterday that he was mad the bill that he introduced was actually brought to a vote.  What a dufus!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Shot down 402 to 2.

What a waste, on so many levels.

He wasted time and energy that could have been spent on real, important matters.

But worst of all, he's WASTING MY PRECIOUS OXYGEN!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Rangel ---->
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:12:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Some kin of political ploy.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I think bringing it to a vote was brilliant.  They could clean out a lot of BS this way and make the idiots that propose this crap look like fools in front of the voters.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:16:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Wait till the next time hes on Hannity's show. He'll get ripped a new one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I sincerely respect Rep. Rangel's service to our country many years ago in uniform, but he really needs to be less partisan and get with the program in the Congress.  Stop throwing grenades and start doing what the people want to make this country better.  I'm not totally against a draft in the future if needed, (though volunteers generally don't want to work side by side with people who don't want to be there), but to do something like this is just politics at it's worst.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#12]
What?  I don't get why it was a waste.  While they were busying themselves with that nonsense, they didn't have time to hand out more welfare or raise some obscure tax.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:20:30 AM EDT
[#13]
You need to get out more.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#14]
wRangel = Ass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top