Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2004 6:59:46 AM EDT
Can we get a ar15.com wide sticky for this?

www.thegundebate.com

There will be a pay-per-view debate between the NRA and the UN on October 12th. It will cost $9.95 to watch and after the debate, you will be able to vote as to whether the US Senate should consider the UNs worldwide gun ban.

I am going to have people over for this and suggest others do the same. This is something every gun owner should see!

If we can sticky this here and the other major boards, we can make HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people aware of the debate and increase the response and awareness. I'm putting this up on Glocktalk, AR15.com, The High Road, and 1911forum.com - places I frequent. Please do the same at other places you go, just cut and paste - use this freely!

Paul
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if the NRA gets any of the $$?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Is this like a cage match?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The reason for this having to be a PPV has to do with the campaign reform law that changes what you could do/say within so many days from the election.  it appears that you can hold an event that requires paid admission (like PPV) but the NRA would not be allowed to discuss anything to do with the election otherwise.  Since this debate is one gun control it will certainly fall into a campaign for republicans via the NRA.  At least that is roughly what an NRA mailer explained a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#4]
My pet peeve is the loaded verbaige that liberals seem to get away with. From the website

Opposition

Wayne LaPierre Executive Vice President & CEO NRA Board of Directors will put forward the argument supported by his four million American members, the firm belief of the pro-gun lobby group, that even the most basic restriction on weapon ownership infringe on their constitutional right to bear arms.

No one could be more qualified than Wayne LaPierre to defend the Second Amendment and levy a solid argument against those who speak to undermine it. LaPierre is the Executive Vice President of the NRA, Washington's most powerful lobbying organization and he is well known on the Capitol Hill scene. LaPierre will argue his views on the international TV debate on the importance and effects of gun ownership.

Firearms keep the peace and maintain authority of the laws against violent invasions
One must have the right to own firearms, a right to self-defense
Civil regulation of gun control immobilizes people's rights and protection
Violent crimes have decreased with an increase of gun ownership
Murder rates have gone down with gun ownership  

"that even the most basic restriction"  smacks of judgement.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:13:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Who gets the PPV money? If some of it goes to the NRA I may watch.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#6]
The NRA seriously needs a better spokesman then Wayne LaPierre
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Just called the NRA. In-Demand, who is NOT an anti-gun company, keeps everything. $9.95 is their fee. No dedicated pro-gun or anti-gun forces keep the money.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The NRA should have Ted Nugent do this instead of LaPierre.

LaPierre pussyfoots around.

Unka Ted will tell it like it is.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ted would lay the smackdown on the UN fu@ks!

"Wang dang sweet puntang,

Take your anti gun bullcrap and stick it in your yang!!!"
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#10]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=281457

Careful, your cable company might not be carrying it.  Dish Network has decided not to.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#11]

LaPierre pussyfoots around.

I agree, after seeing him on Hardball after the AWB ended he really disappointed me.  He let Mathews pull him into the "what do hunters need these for" trap and he fell right into it, stammering and trying to say that yes you could use these for hunting.  If your going to represent gun rights you need to at the very least know that hunting has nothing to do with owning a gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:27:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nugent is a bit coarse....

If Larry Craig ever quits the Senate, I want to see him as EVP.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#13]
my question is why do we even need to discuss our gun laws to the "international" crowd and the u.n. who seem to be hell-bent on disarming us???
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I've never seen an NRA spokesman do well in a discussion.  Even Charleton Heston, God bless 'em, would simply confine himself to restating the same general 2A talking points without getting into the nitty gritty.  LaPierre sucks.

The NRA does a great job at a lot of things, lobbying certainly being one of them.  But it does a piss-poor job of getting out the message to the great unwashed in an effective way.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I've tried discussing this topic with Brits and the vast majority are beyond reason.   There are exceptions, as with a couple members here, but much of English manhood has been emasculated.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
my question is why do we even need to discuss our gun laws to the "international" crowd and the u.n. who seem to be hell-bent on disarming us???

yeah no shit.  Thats why I dont watch debates, I dont care what the enemy thinks.  They are wrong and I am only interested in the truth.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#19]
OK, I have 2 questions.

1) How will we be able to vote? Will the PPV direct us to a URL afterwards? And if so, we should share the URL with all members here so everyone can go vote.

2) Someone should Tivo the PPV, then we can upload it to a server. Who has the space to hold this if it were to be captured and made into a Quicktime or Windows Media format?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#20]
From the NRA website:

Please note that this debate will not be available on DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other satellite network.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Fucking pay per view for an issue of substance?  I can understand for some bullshit like the WWF cage match, but an issue concerning our liberties?

Maybe the 2008 Presidential debates will be ppv.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
OK, I have 2 questions.

1) How will we be able to vote? Will the PPV direct us to a URL afterwards? And if so, we should share the URL with all members here so everyone can go vote.

2) Someone should Tivo the PPV, then we can upload it to a server. Who has the space to hold this if it were to be captured and made into a Quicktime or Windows Media format?

1. Agreed

2. Good idea
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:09:00 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm going to spend the $ that pay per view wants and buy more ammo with it.
Screw the UN.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I will be watching the pay per view event. Like others have said,
I wish Wayne would lose his voice that day and have to get Uncle
Ted to sit in for him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top