Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 12:58:11 AM EDT
The house was 60° yesterday when I got home frmo work. I Kicked the thermostat over to "HEAT". The furnace turned on, and the house heated up.

Just woke up @ 4:30 AM, and the house is FKING FREEZING!!! IT is 58°F in here!

#1 I need a new filter in my cold air return in my furnace.
#2 I took the cover off of the thermostat, and I can cycle the thermostat and see the mercury switch do it's thing.
#3 Pilot light is burning.
#4 Gas is on.
#5 No breakers are tripped.

WTF! Any furnace guys here?

<We don't have the F-word, or any variations, in thread titles.  Thanks>
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, it's called a "blanket". Now do what your avatar says and go back to bed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:07:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Blower not working?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Blower not working?

Nope, the blower DOES work, when I click it to ON. It is set on AUTO right now...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:11:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Blower not working?

Hard to get frozen pie to do that
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:19:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Can anyone else chime in with some troubleshooting stuff I can look at before I have to call the furnace guy?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:34:42 AM EDT
[#6]
If the blower is working I don't know. Can you feel air coming out even if its cold?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:44:23 AM EDT
[#7]
well back in HS i took two years of HVAC traning at the local trade school. Back then i thought that was the thing to be. Before i actualy got my hands dirty in the business anyway.

id take a guess since you said that mechanicaly everything is working
that your thermostat is screwy.

if your hard up for heat it is possible to hard wire the furnace to run continually.
But i dont recomend it unless your willing to babysit  your machine.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:54:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I think I have it troubleshot down to the relay that the thermostat kicks on/off. You can't make a mercury switch NOT open and close...

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:56:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Hi limit control?  Some are manual reset.  Flame roll out switch?  These are often a fuse like device.  IF you have a VOM it should be easy.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:58:26 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think I have it troubleshot down to the relay that the thermostat kicks on/off. You can't make a mercury switch NOT open and close...

Thanks all!

i was right, that will be $75 dollars (luger355's heating&cooling standard service fee)
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#11]
First thing is replace the batteries in the t-stat.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
First thing is replace the batteries in the t-stat.

GunLvr

Most thermostats that use mercury switches aren't running on batteries, in my experience at least.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Is your chimney clogged with leaves?
If the furnace cannot vent it will kick off and need to be reset.
That one cost me $100!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Gas valves do stick and go bad.   Got power to it ?   Cheap VOMs from  electronics stores are ok for checking 24vac.

Rip
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#15]
When the batteries in my "new and improved" thermostat go south, I leave home all warm and fuzzy. Then come home to a COLD house, I'm pissed! I have to install new batteries to get HEAT, WTF?

Hope you get yours straightened out.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Thermo Coupler is a good start
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#17]
check for reset switch in the furnace.
if your thermastat is a two wire just short them at tthe furnace and see if the furnace lights.  CAUTION USE AT OWN RISK

If the furnace has a blower on the chimny(typ. in chimny that goes out the side of the house) if it goes bad the furnace won't work. found out the hard way $160
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Bad thermocouple will cause pilot to go out.

I HATE battery "whiz bang" thermostats!!  Just use the tried and true T-87 doorknob.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Blow out the coil spring thing-e thats hooked to the mecury filled class bulb.

Does the heater kick on like it should when you manually move the mercury
back and forth ?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hi limit control?  Some are manual reset.  Flame roll out switch?  These are often a fuse like device.  IF you have a VOM it should be easy.....

Duh...if it was a roll out switch the unit will not restart.

I need more info. Brand name, split system or self contained, how old is unit, is it vented with metal B vent or PVC, what type of T-stat ie digital or mercury type. How long since service or coil cleaning?

Hasn't been a job yet I was unable to fix.

Rick
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I had to replace the thermocouple in my family's heater also, I did it myself. I needed a flare nut wrench, a screw starter, and 5 minutes to remove and replace, $15 including tax. The big problem I had was to chase the part down, no body that I went to had the  part in stock. I searched high & low for a replacement, and it took like 2 days to special order the unit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
check for reset switch in the furnace.
if your thermastat is a two wire just short them at tthe furnace and see if the furnace lights.  CAUTION USE AT OWN RISK

If the furnace has a blower on the chimny(typ. in chimny that goes out the side of the house) if it goes bad the furnace won't work. found out the hard way $160

DING DING DING!!!

The filter was clogged, causing an overtemperature condition inside of the furnace. There was a little hidden reset butto ninside.

$70 for a big dude to push the reset button and a new filter.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#23]
It's just October.  What in the world are y'all turning the furnace on for?  My AC just kicked on fer cry'n out loud!    
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It's just October.  What in the world are y'all turning the furnace on for?  My AC just kicked on fer cry'n out loud!    

My same thought. As soon as I read that, I checked where Mugzilla's from. 58? It hasn't been 58 around here since when? Feburary?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My same thought. As soon as I read that, I checked where Mugzilla's from. 58? It hasn't been 58 around here since when? Feburary?

Ahem, fuck you. It was 55 degrees here when I left for work this morning.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn, I'm still in shorts out my way.

But it sure is nice in the morning,
shorts and coffee on the back porch.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I am an HVAC guy,

$90.00 to knock on the door. It's is all about airflow.

But.... you said the pilot was on? So it's called a standing pilot which uses a thermocouple to maintain itself through the gas valve. But now the t-stat calls for heat, 24v goes to what? A control box? Relay board? Some of the different brands use different controls but basically the safety loop is a series circuit through the flame rollout, hi limit and, if equipped with forced draft, the pressure switch.
If there is an open circuit in this loop, the fan should run full time and furnace won't start.

Railgun.... @/C Eddie.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Blower not working?

Hard to get frozen pie to do that

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top