Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2004 12:54:07 AM EDT
Story from: story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041006/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_nuclear&cid=540&ncid=716

TEHRAN, Iran - Iran has converted a few tons of raw uranium into hexafluoride gas needed for enrichment, a necessary step toward producing nuclear fuel or nuclear weapons, a top nuclear official told The Associated Press on Wednesday

Uranium hexafluoride gas is the material that, in the next stage, is fed into centrifuges used to enrich uranium. Uranium enriched to low level is used to produce nuclear fuel to generate electricity and enriched further can be used to manufacture atomic bomb.

Iran said last month that it has started converting about 40 tons of raw uranium being mined for enrichment. It maintains its intentions are peaceful energy purposes.

"We have converted part of the raw uranium we had and produced a few tons of uranium hexafluoride gas," said Hossein Mousavian, Iran's chief delegate to the International Atomic Energy Agency. He would not specify how much. A few tons of raw uranium would be converted into about the same amount of hexafluoride gas.

"We are not in a hurry to do it. The few tons of uranium gas we've produces is an experimental process, not industrial production," Mousavian said.

Mousavian, who also heads the Foreign Policy Committee at Iran's powerful Supreme National Security Council, said the process was under full IAEA supervision.

"Every stage of the process is under full IAEA supervision. The agency knows of every milligram of uranium converted," he said.

-----------------------------

We need to launch pre-emptive strikes NOW!

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#1]
HI HO ! HI HO! IT'S OFF TO IRAN WE GO!!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:05:54 AM EDT
[#2]
No no no!  They are just using it for "energy" purposes!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:12:03 AM EDT
[#3]
No worries, Israel will blow up this reactor project of theirs too...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:14:55 AM EDT
[#4]
They are trying to force W's hand before the election.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:18:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

+1

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:20:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

We hope, and hope they do it well.

Quoted:

Exactly
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#7]
No worries.   The UN assembly and Kofi Anon are on the job, and will get this all taken care of.  They will pass a resolution against it and Iran will destroy the gas and comply with the international authorities.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:29:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We hope, and hope they do it well.

Quoted:

Exactly

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:30:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Hate to rain on the bombing IRAN parade, but you might want to read this first before writing off their nuclear program as doomed:

A Preemptive Attack on Iran's Nuclear Facilities: Possible Consequences
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:37:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No worries.   The UN assembly and Kofi Anon are on the job, and will get this all taken care of.  They will pass a resolution against it and Iran will destroy the gas and comply with the international authorities.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:39:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Can we send jesse jackson over there to fix things up?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:26:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hate to rain on the bombing IRAN parade, but you might want to read this first before writing off their nuclear program as doomed:

And we were going to lose thousands and thousands of soldiers and Marines taking Iraq, and the say is falling and we are all doomed and, and, and...BS!

It is the mullahs who are doomed and they know it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:41:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Did you write this report or something? You seem intent on everyone reading and believing it in a couple threads now.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:47:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I know what we need.....a Global Test!  Everyone bring a #2 pencil and eat a good breakfast.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:52:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:56:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Can we send jesse jackson over there to fix things up?

Better add Jimmy Carter too, just to be safe.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:58:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i made centrifuge parts back in the 1980's for goodyear's c.e.d. (centrifuge equipment division).

if iran has uranium hexaflouride gas...it has centrifuges and is preparing to enrich the gas thru those banks of centrifuges. i.q. khan sold the iranians everything he had and WE educated their engineers.

this is not good!

Not only that… A Q Khan sold Iran the enginnering  blueprints for Pakistans nuclear warhead… a proven and tested design… very, very  not good!

"Thursday, May 06 2004 @ 04:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Ritt Goldstein
In early February, the father of Pakistan's nuclear weapons program, Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan, admitted that he was instrumental in the sale of nuclear weapons technology to Iran and Libya. America's top arms control official, John Bolton, outlined that the Pakistani network sold "technology for enriching uranium as well as warhead designs to Iran, North Korea and Libya", according to the San Francisco Chronicle. And concerns exist that the warhead blueprints may have gone considerably further. Notably, the US Congressional Research Service (CRS) reports that Pakistani nuclear weapons cooperation with North Korea "accelerated in the 1990s". But in an amazing example of Bush administration spin, Bolton described the February revelations of the Pakistani operation as "a great intelligence success", arguing that the incident represented "an enormous victory", the Chronicle reported. And while the Bush administration has accepted Pakistani President General Pervez Musharraf's assertions that Khan acted independently, a Washington coverup is widely understood.

US security and defense expert John Pike of Global Security observed for Asia Times Online: "Pakistan has been an extremely good partner to the US in the war on terrorism, because the US, to include the president of the US, has been prepared to lie publicly about their nuclear proliferation activities ... it was an established government [of Pakistan] policy." A CRS report from March 11 notes that one account of events "states generals Musharraf, [Jehangir] Karamat and [Abdul ] Waheed knew of aid to North Korea when they were chiefs of the army staff". And two former Pakistani prime ministers' political parties have expressed concerns that Khan - who was immediately granted a pardon on his "confession" - is merely a handy scapegoat.

The CRS notes that Pakistan and North Korea have had a long cooperation on missile technology. CRS also questions whether a 1996 Pakistani foreign-currency crisis led the government to swap nuclear weapons technology, doing so in lieu of missile payments then allegedly due to Pyongyang. Moreover, while North Korea has never tested a nuclear device, the CRS cites "some reports" that in 1998 Pakistan tested a plutonium bomb for them. Pike also spoke to this issue, noting that the detonation in question took place far from the site of Pakistan's first nuclear test, and that "sniffer planes" detected plutonium traces - the material North Korean weapons are said to use - and not the uranium with which Pakistani weapons are built. But cutting to what many perceive as the heart of such nuclear efforts, Pike noted: "Historically, states which have felt existential threats, states which feel they have a well-founded fear of regime change, have wanted to get the bomb." And the reasons for this are widely acknowledged. "

www.pakistan-facts.com/article.php/20040506200135194

"If a nuclear weapon destroys the U.S. Capitol in coming years, it will probably be based in part on Pakistani technology. The biggest challenge to civilization in recent years came not from Osama or Saddam Hussein but from Abdul Qadeer Khan, the father of Pakistan's atomic bomb. Dr. Khan definitely sold nuclear technology to Iran, North Korea and Libya, and, officials believe, to several more nations as well. But, amazingly, eight months after Dr. Khan publicly confessed, we still don't know who the rest of his customers were. Mr. Musharraf acknowledged as much in an interview. "I can't say surely that we have unearthed everything that he's done, but I think we have unearthed most of what he's done," Mr. Musharraf said. Translated, that means: I'm afraid you're eventually going to find out about other transactions that we're still trying to hide. American intelligence experts haven't been able to interrogate Dr. Khan, and Mr. Musharraf claims that the U.S. has not even asked to do so. "Let me put the record straight: nobody asked us to be allowed to question him," Mr. Musharraf said."

www.pakistan-facts.com/index.php

Andy
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:10:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I wonder if Kerry still plans on giving them nuclear fuel...??
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Is this some more of that "Intelligence" I've heard so much about?

WMD's?..........now where have I heard of that before?

Is there a Saddam-type bad guy in Iran that we can focus on? We need a "Scumbag Poster Boy" before we can do anything.

Go ahead and flame but I don't buy the program anymore!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:28:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Is there a Saddam-type bad guy in Iran that we can focus on? We need a "Scumbag Poster Boy" before we can do anything.

Have you been living under a rock for the last... oh... twenty years or so?

Iran is and has been a threat to the US and peace in the ME.  It is a problem that needs to be fixed somehow.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:40:23 AM EDT
[#23]
The regime is unstable. Guess they think it would be better to go down fighting than to quietly be toppled by their own people. More support from other arabs if infidels try to take them out, you know?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Since when have you needed highly enriched uranium to run a power plant?

It called "weapons grade" for a reason.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:47:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

no.

this was an ADMISSION by the iranians.

here's a clue for you...there's only one thing you do with uranium hexaflouride gas.

wanna take a guess on what that is?

Read here for info an Iranian call to develop nuclear weapons within 4 months…

www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=40723]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:53:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I know what we need.....a Global Test!  Everyone bring a #2 pencil and eat a good breakfast.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:12:29 AM EDT
[#27]
No worries, Israel will only let this go so far before testing out the new long range F-16's they just finished modding.

Thank God, there is at least one country left int the world that is not totally run amock with getting UN resolutions and being PC.

I stand with Israel.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#28]
The author of the story is Ali Akbar Dareini.

I get the feeling that another Ackbar might have something to say about this. . .
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but uranium doesn't convert to hexaflouride gas. Hexaflouride gas is utilized to enrich uranium.

AM I wrong?

Yes. I was.

Never mind....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:20:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Israel will get that job done. A pre-emptive strike in is their national security interests.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

no.

this was an ADMISSION by the iranians.

here's a clue for you...there's only one thing you do with uranium hexaflouride gas.

wanna take a guess on what that is?

huffing?  I've heard it gives the best high
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:27:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Naaa....I doubt it.

Between now and Jan.'s inaugeration Iran will have enough that Kerry will start buying it from them, if elected.

"There will be no outsourcing of American jobs." [/sKerry]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:56:27 AM EDT
[#33]
A few technical items of interest. - which I will readily delete if you think Iran hasn't thought of them yet.

1.  Fissionable uranium (U235) is about 0.7% of the uranium you dig up.  That's what the enrichment process is for.

2.  Based on their admission of having "a few tons" of UF6, that tells me that:
...a.  They have about one ton of pure uranium available (once it's purified, of course)
...b.  Of that, 0.7%, or about 15 pounds, is U235

3.  Minimum critical mass for pure U235 is around two pounds.  That's just to sustain the reaction; a bomb would naturally use more.  Little Boy used 140 pounds of a uranium alloy (I don't know the concentration).

4.  UF6 (uranium hexafluoride) is a solid at atmospheric pressure below about 140°F.  Heat it above that, and it sublimes (goes directly from solid to gas).  CO2 does the same thing at a lower temperature.

5.  UF6 reacts violently with water, forming hydrofluoric acid and another uranium compound.

6.  So what happens if you throw a bunch of this stuff into hot water?

7.  BTW, irradiation of U238 (99.3% of the uranium that they have) with neutrons (which U235 releases) makes plutonium.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...and they all had pie and ice cream...
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
A few technical items of interest. - which I will readily delete if you think Iran hasn't thought of them yet.

1.  Fissionable uranium (U235) is about 0.7% of the uranium you dig up.  That's what the enrichment process is for.

2.  Based on their admission of having "a few tons" of UF6, that tells me that:
...a.  They have about one ton of pure uranium available (once it's purified, of course)
...b.  Of that, 0.7%, or about 15 pounds, is U235

3.  Minimum critical mass for pure U235 is around two pounds.  That's just to sustain the reaction; a bomb would naturally use more.  Little Boy used 140 pounds of a uranium alloy (I don't know the concentration).

4.  UF6 (uranium hexafluoride) is a solid at atmospheric pressure below about 140°F.  Heat it above that, and it sublimes (goes directly from solid to gas).  CO2 does the same thing at a lower temperature.

5.  UF6 reacts violently with water, forming hydrofluoric acid and another uranium compound.

6.  So what happens if you throw a bunch of this stuff into hot water?

7.  BTW, irradiation of U238 (99.3% of the uranium that they have) with neutrons (which U235 releases) makes plutonium.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/brisk322/popcorn.jpg

They say they have 37 tones of Uranium Yellowcake for reprocessing… I've heard that will produce enough weapons grade Uranium for 5 bombs…yes/no?

Andy
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Since when have you needed highly enriched uranium to run a power plant?

It called "weapons grade" for a reason.

...  since forever

You have to enrich uranium for use in a power plant.

You have to enrich it even further to get weapons grade material.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Well, since the troops are busy in Afghaniland and Asscraq, there are no troops for Iranimaland.

We have no choice we'll have to do it ourselves,   HOLD "GUNSTOCK" IN IRAN THIS YEAR!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Actually we are already fighting the Iranians in places like Najaf and Sadr City.  They are providing various militant groups with both money AND Revolutionary Guardsmen.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:40:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Naaa....I doubt it.

Between now and Jan.'s inaugeration Iran will have enough that Kerry will start buying it from them, if elected.

"There will be no outsourcing of American jobs." [/sKerry]

He advocated selling them U in the debate last Thurs.  This Iran story is nothing new.  I think we can be assured that Kerry WANTS Iran to have nuclear fuel from us.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#40]
This is what really really really pisses me off !!!!!!!!!!! Now we are streached to thin to really hold both Iraq and Iran, So what are our choices? Let Isreal do the job? Maybe. But How? They won't be able to reach Iran without flying over other countries unfriendly to them. These countries (Jordan, Syria, Saudi arabia) will give the Iranians the heads up. Second the Iranians remember about the attack on Saddams Reactor so they have theirs spread out in deep mountain territory, Not dead smack in the middle of an open barren desert clumped together. To me theres just no positve way without confirmation that airstrikes will get the job done. So thanks to attacking the TWO BIT TYRANT Saddam, Iran will now be able to go nuclear. And belive me once they do it they'll give the blueprints to all their friends like syria, Sudan, lebanon etc. And belive me once Iran goes nuke, we won't be able to do a thing about it. The best we can hope for is a internal collapse like the soviet union (bloody unlikely).
                                                  WWIII?? has it begun??
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
This is what really really really pisses me off !!!!!!!!!!! Now we are streached to thin to really hold both Iraq and Iran, So what are our choices? Let Isreal do the job? Maybe. But How? They won't be able to reach Iran without flying over other countries unfriendly to them. These countries (Jordan, Syria, Saudi arabia) will give the Iranians the heads up. Second the Iranians remember about the attack on Saddams Reactor so they have theirs spread out in deep mountain territory, Not dead smack in the middle of an open barren desert clumped together. To me theres just no positve way without confirmation that airstrikes will get the job done. So thanks to attacking the TWO BIT TYRANT Saddam, Iran will now be able to go nuclear. And belive me once they do it they'll give the blueprints to all their friends like syria, Sudan, lebanon etc. And belive me once Iran goes nuke, we won't be able to do a thing about it. The best we can hope for is a internal collapse like the soviet union (bloody unlikely).
                                                  WWIII?? has it begun??

No we just wait untill we have traned enough Iraqi troops to do the job and they we attack Iran, since that will eliminate most of the terror threat, at least in the East of the country.  To pacify the West of Iraq may require a invasion of Syria.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Step away from the crack pipe, sir.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Didn't the Israeli's fly over unfreindly countries to hit the Osirak reactor in Iraq????
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Step away from the crack pipe, sir.....

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Didn't the Israeli's fly over unfreindly countries to hit the Osirak reactor in Iraq????

They will fly down southern Iraq and the USAF/RAF will look the other way…

Also… Israel has it's Jerico Long Range Ballistic Missiles that can easily hit Iran

www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/missile_systems/artillery/jericho-12/jericho-2.html

Andy
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

So what parts do you not believe? Youy don't believe that Iran is pursuing nukes? Or that they are drawing closer to that capability? Or that they have an advaserial stance towards us? Which part is untrue?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Fucking  

Have you been paying attention? Can you read?
Iran has stated it is considering pre-emptive strikes on our forces. They have scoffed at the world trying to get them to stop with their nuke program. They are doing everything they can to get nuculear weapons, AND TELLING everyone about it. What is so hard to understand. Go back to DU where you can happily bury tour head in the sand, rub your nipples, click you heels and everything will be ok.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

They say they have 37 tones of Uranium Yellowcake for reprocessing… I've heard that will produce enough weapons grade Uranium for 5 bombs…yes/no?

Andy

It depends on the bomb design and a bunch of other stuff.  They say they've already made several tons of UF6 (which is the next main step after yellowcake).

Yellowcake is about 85% pure uranium, so 37 tons of cake yields about 31 tons of pure uranium.

About 0.7% of that is fissionable, so they have (potentially) 439 pounds of U235.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:36:19 AM EDT
[#49]
We will not have the problems with access getting into Iran that we had getting into Iraq.

Because we have direct access from Iran, Afghanistan, and the sea. So much for those that thought the Marines would never do another beach landing again!  But much of the Iranian coast offers easy access.  There will be no difficulty in getting 2 or 3 mech divisions from Iraq, most of the USMC from the ocean, and the 82nd and 101st from Afganistan.  SF from all directions, especially with Kurdish support from the North of Iraq.

We will also have at least partial access from places like Tajikistan and Kazakstan.  The Chechayns latest antic against Russia at Belsan pretty much assured that.  I think it also ended any further participation by the Putin regime in the Iranian nuclear program...

Its even within the relm of possibility that Russia might join in attacking Iran if we can connect them to Chechyan support.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
So what parts do you not believe? Youy don't believe that Iran is pursuing nukes? Or that they are drawing closer to that capability? Or that they have an advaserial stance towards us? Which part is untrue?

I have no doubt that Iran is pursuing a nuke program! ......or that the loonies would use them.
Adversarial stance? No adversarial stance, our own polytishuns won't let our fighting men return fire on a mosque that sprouts RPG's like a chia pet!
But I'm supposed to believe that those same polytishuns will kick Irans ass? Ain't gonna happen.

Troll?........fallingdick is the troll! At least I have a brain to think, not act like a brainless cheerleader.
When do you graduate from gradeschool fallingdick?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top