Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2004 10:36:35 PM EDT
Thank you . . .

. . for contacting me to express your disappointment with my recent vote regarding the assault weapons ban.  I appreciate you taking the time to share your views with me.

I share your support for Second Amendment rights.  However, law enforcement agents across the state have made it clear to me that keeping guns such as uzis and semi-automatic machine guns off our streets will help make our communities safer.  Organizations such as the Police Officers Association of Michigan, which represents over 10,000 law enforcement officers, have asked that the assault weapons ban be renewed to keep our streets safer.  I respect the opinion of those who feel strongly in favor of assault weapons, however, I believe the judgment of trained experts from our law enforcement agencies provide a compelling argument to do what we can to protect our Second Amendment rights while keeping our neighborhoods and children safe from military-style weapons.

Again thank you for taking the time to contact me.  Please feel free
to do so whenever I may be of assistance to you or your family.  

Sincerely,
Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:57:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Dear Ms. Stabenow:  

You are apparently quite uninformed about the Assault Weapon Ban, what it banned, and what it did not.

First, there is no such thing as a "semiautomatic machine gun".  Machine guns are automatic weapons, that is, they fire many rounds, and continue firing with one press of the trigger, until the trigger is released, or the magazine is empty.  Semiautomatic firearms fire only once with one pull of the trigger.

Semiauto firearms have been in common use by citizens for target shooting, hunting, and most importantly, home defense, for more than 100 years.

The '94 Assault Weapon Ban had NO affect on machine guns, which have been heavily regulated, and for all practical purposes, banned, since 1934.  Machine guns remain illegal for the average citizen.

The Assault Weapon Ban dealt only with cosmetic features of some semiauto firearms.  Having these cosmetic features (which did not affect lethality of the firearm in any way) on firearms affected by the ban had draconian prison sentences attached.  The ban did not affect many nearly identical firearms without these features.  For example, it banned the Colt AR-15 but did not affect the Ruger Mini-14, both of which are semiauto firearms which fire the same cartridge.  There is no difference in function or "firepower" between these two guns.  This ban did nothing to affect crime, it only had the potential to send otherwise good people to prison.

The Assault Weapon Ban did nothing to improve safety of police officers.  If any have told you that, they are either very ignorant of the law, or they are lying.  Firearms made before the ban were still legal to buy and sell and possess.  Nearly identical firearms without the "evil" assault weapon features banned by the AWB were still available that shot in the same semiauto mode, fired the same cartidges.

I am sorry to tell you, but the "trained experts from our law enforcement agencies" lied to you.  The news media repeated these lies loudly and often.

Please don't pull the "for the children" thing on me.  This does not work anymore.  Firearms accidents with children are at an all time low, and have been steadily dropping for many, many years.  Many more children are killed by bath tubs, 5 gallon buckets, swimming pools, automobiles, bikes, and sports than by guns.

Most "children" killed with guns are not really children, but drug dealers killed by police, or killed by each other in turf wars in the 16-25 year old range, not toddlers.  When a drug dealer is killed I say, "good riddance".  

A recent Department of Justice study has concluded that the effects of the '94 Assault Weapon Ban cannot be determined due to the statistically insignificant use of "assault weapons" in crime.

As my elected representative, I expect you to make informed decisions.  I expect you to study the issues, dig out the facts.  Apparently you have failed to do so.

Sincerely,

Guntoting Spartan
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Dear Ms. Stabenow:

You are apparently quite uninformed about the Assault Weapon Ban, what it banned, and what it did not.

First, there is no such thing as a "semiautomatic machine gun". Machine guns are automatic weapons, that is, they fire many rounds, and continue firing with one press of the trigger, until the trigger is released, or the magazine is empty. Semiautomatic firearms fire only once with one pull of the trigger.

Semiauto firearms have been in common use by citizens for target shooting, hunting, and most importantly, home defense, for more than 100 years.

The '94 Assault Weapon Ban had NO affect on machine guns, which have been heavily regulated, and for all practical purposes, banned, since 1934. Machine guns remain illegal for the average citizen.

The Assault Weapon Ban dealt only with cosmetic features of some semiauto firearms. Having these cosmetic features (which did not affect lethality of the firearm in any way) on firearms affected by the ban had draconian prison sentences attached. The ban did not affect many nearly identical firearms without these features. For example, it banned the Colt AR-15 but did not affect the Ruger Mini-14, both of which are semiauto firearms which fire the same cartridge. There is no difference in function or "firepower" between these two guns. This ban did nothing to affect crime, it only had the potential to send otherwise good people to prison.

The Assault Weapon Ban did nothing to improve safety of police officers. If any have told you that, they are either very ignorant of the law, or they are lying. Firearms made before the ban were still legal to buy and sell and possess. Nearly identical firearms without the "evil" assault weapon features banned by the AWB were still available that shot in the same semiauto mode, fired the same cartidges.

I am sorry to tell you, but the "trained experts from our law enforcement agencies" lied to you. The news media repeated these lies loudly and often.

Please don't pull the "for the children" thing on me. This does not work anymore. Firearms accidents with children are at an all time low, and have been steadily dropping for many, many years. Many more children are killed by bath tubs, 5 gallon buckets, swimming pools, automobiles, bikes, and sports than by guns.

Most "children" killed with guns are not really children, but drug dealers killed by police, or killed by each other in turf wars in the 16-25 year old range, not toddlers. When a drug dealer is killed I say, "good riddance".

A recent Department of Justice study has concluded that the effects of the '94 Assault Weapon Ban cannot be determined due to the statistically insignificant use of "assault weapons" in crime.

As my elected representative, I expect you to make informed decisions. I expect you to study the issues, dig out the facts. Apparently you have failed to do so.

Sincerely,

Guntoting Spartan

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
vary nice job. :)
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:09:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Short version:

Hey Debbie,

You are an uninformed, unintelligent sycophant leftist.  Shut the fuck up unless you know what you are talking about and prepare to be voted out of office.  Try an get a job in the real world.....and I'll see you on the street corner you whore.

Spartan.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Phatmax, when I said, "As my elected representative, I expect you to make informed decisions. I expect you to study the issues, dig out the facts. Apparently you have failed to do so."

But you said it much more to the point... hahah!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Wipe your ass with it.

It will be about as effective as your (or anyone else's) letter will be at changing her mind, and it will make you feel better.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:18:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Debbie the toad is a self serving ass. I've even gone down to her Lansing office and talked respectfully to her staff on why the AWB should have gone away. They are idiots. Send your letter, tell her she's stupid, but it won't change her vote. She'll screw you as fast as she can when ever she can.

By the way, put this in there..."False is the idea of utility... that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except the destruction of liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson"

The politican's can agrue with the founding fathers. Plus it makes you look like you know more than she does. Which is quite obvious.

Guntoting Spartan, where do you shoot at? We shoud meet up.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:20:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got that same email.  What a joke.  She wouldn't be in office if her RINO opponent, Spencer Abraham, hadn't been such a fat lard ass loser.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:23:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget the cc:, along with a copy of her original letter, to every media outlet you can think of in your state.

And add something to the effect of "since it's clear you never took the time to understand what you were voting on about the AWB, which you claim is a very important issue, the obvious conclusion is that all of her votes are made based on what biased special interest groups tell you and not what is in the best interests of the people of the state of MI."
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:23:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just got that same email.  What a joke.  She wouldn't be in office if her RINO opponent, Spencer Abraham, hadn't been such a fat lard ass loser.

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Edited to add suggestions from Lippo and DavidC.  It now reads:

Dear Ms. Stabenow:

First, there is no such thing as a "semiautomatic machine gun". Machine guns are automatic weapons, that is, they fire many rounds, and continue firing with one press of the trigger, until the trigger is released, or the magazine is empty. Semiautomatic firearms fire only once with one pull of the trigger.

The '94 Assault Weapon Ban had NO affect on machine guns, which have been heavily regulated, and for all practical purposes, banned, since 1934. Machine guns remain illegal for the average citizen.

The Assault Weapon Ban dealt only with cosmetic features of some semiauto firearms. Having these cosmetic features (which did not affect lethality of the firearm in any way) on firearms affected by the ban had draconian prison sentences attached. The ban did not affect many nearly identical firearms without these features. For example, it banned the Colt AR-15 but did not affect the Ruger Mini-14, both of which are semiauto firearms which fire the same cartridge. There is no difference in function or "firepower" between these two guns. This ban did nothing to affect crime, it only had the potential to send otherwise good people to prison.

The Assault Weapon Ban did nothing to improve safety of police officers. If any have told you that, they are either very ignorant of the law, or they are lying. Firearms made before the ban were still legal to buy and sell and possess. Nearly identical firearms without the "evil" assault weapon features banned by the AWB were still available that shot in the same semiauto mode, fired the same cartidges.

I am sorry to tell you, but the "trained experts from our law enforcement agencies" lied to you. The news media repeated these lies loudly and often.

Please don't pull the "for the children" thing on me. This does not work anymore. Firearms accidents with children are at an all time low, and have been steadily dropping for many, many years. Many more children are killed by bath tubs, 5 gallon buckets, swimming pools, automobiles, bikes, and sports than by guns.

Most "children" killed with guns are not really children, but drug dealers killed by police, or killed by each other in turf wars in the 16-25 year old range, not toddlers. When a drug dealer is killed I say, "good riddance".

As my elected representative, I expect you to make informed decisions. I expect you to study the issues, dig out the facts. Apparently you have failed to do so.

Since it's clear you never took the time to understand what you were voting on about the AWB, which you claim is a very important issue, the obvious conclusion is that all of your votes are made based on what biased special interest groups tell you and not what is in the best interests of the people of the state of MI.

"False is the idea of utility... that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except the destruction of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson.

Sincerely,

Guntoting Spartan
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#13]
A semi-automatic machine gun?  What's next, a manually automatic tranmission?  A digitally analog watch?  

That ranks up there with "more thrusts per squeeze".

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#14]
That goes with Schumer's "He used a stock.  He used a stock that held more than 10 bullets."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top