Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2004 8:50:55 PM EDT
See the whole flight from several angles!

Watch the sky go from blue to black!

Watch the sky go from black to blue!

See an RCS burn a 4:30!

See gears down a 15:58!

Sorry for all the exclamation points!

channelevents.aol.com/research/xprize/index.adp
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
btt for an awesome achievement.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#2]
friggen awesome!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]
It cost them $20million to win $10 million I think
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#4]
How much should it cost to turn a dream into reality?

These will be carrying paying passengers into space soon. More return on their investment.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It cost them $20million to win $10 million I think

Know how much it has cost us taxpayers to put the first man in orbit, and maintain our superiority in space with government know-how?

$20mil is about 1/100,000th of the cost of NASA's mission work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#6]
how did they keep the belly from heating up upon re-entry like the shuttle does?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]
AOL embedded media player???
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Due to "feathered" mode the wings go into, re-entry heating is minimal. Pure genius.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
how did they keep the belly from heating up upon re-entry like the shuttle does?

I would guess it reentered at a very much lower speed than the shuttle does... but that's still a good question!

ETA: StormSurge is right... now I remember reading that.  Still, I'm not sure if it's a viable option for the shuttle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, that was really sweet!! Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:51:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yea F that!  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea F that!  

It's not too bad... actually played really smooth and gives you the option to choose between 7 different camera angles on the fly.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:59:18 PM EDT
[#13]
What a waste.  $20m could fund a lot of suicide bombers for Allah.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would guess it reentered at a very much lower speed than the shuttle does... but that's still a good question!

ETA: StormSurge is right... now I remember reading that.  Still, I'm not sure if it's a viable option for the shuttle.

The feather system solved a BUNCH of issues for them in one fell swoop.  Makes the vehicle establish a stable re-entry automatically, a stable fall rather then having to deal with actively controlling it every second of the way, lest the vehicle gets sideways (or otherwise out of the envelope).

I was also impressed with the short "G" loading on the way down.  Means that Joe Sixpack won't have any real trouble dealing with it.

They're going to have to work on the instability that appears in several portions of the envelope.  Not good for the tourist types.

I loved Brian's comment when he reached peak and looked out the upper port "Oh, we're upside down"

Triva note.  Mercury spacecraft inserted to orbit heads up.  Gemini did it on their side and Apollo inserted heads down (as does the Orbiter).  Never have seen a reason for the differences.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Does this thing actually have any manuevering thrusters or anyway to actually really "travel in space" and control itself or does it just fly up barely out of the atmosphere and then kinda fall back into it, right itself and then glide down like it looks like?  Still cool just wondering if it's really a "spaceship" like they've named it/describe it...

Could this thing acheive any kind of earth orbit and then re-enter, or would that get into much higher speeds that would bring the super high heat/bounce off the atmosphere thing into play?

Forgive the stupid questions, first time I've heard of this, it's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Does this thing actually have any manuevering thrusters or anyway to actually really "travel in space" and control itself or does it just fly up barely out of the atmosphere and then kinda fall back into it, right itself and then glide down like it looks like?

That's about it. Nothing fancy. It's not designed to achieve orbit. Simply goes up and comes down. It does have a Reaction Control System (manuevering thrusters) for controlling the angle at which it reenters the atmosphere.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Like I said above, you can see at least one RCS burn in the video.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Coolest aviation event I have ever seen.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top