Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 8:31:13 PM EDT
Hi guys I am thinking about building my own range something small nothing fancy. I would like the berm to be at least six feet tall and about 30 feet long. How much dirt do you think it would take to doe this? I have plenty of railroad ties to put on the back side of it. Any info would be helpfull. Thanks JC
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the dirt there and just going to be buldozed into its proper location, or are you trucking it in?What is the topography and soil composition of your proposed range?  I built a 50 yard 12 position pistol range and was able to come up with enough dirt for a 6 ot 7 foot berm just by grading out  a few feet of the end of the range.If you are trucking it in, start thinking about yards of dirt, which is what they'd sell it to you in. If its a publicly accesible area, put out a sign that you'll accept clean fill dumped there; after you get enough left off , you can 'doze it into position.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a suggestion.... if you don't want lead getting into the ground water on your property, you might want to put down a layer of concrete before building your berm.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just a suggestion.... if you don't want lead getting into the ground water on your property, you might want to put down a layer of concrete before building your berm.

Lead oxidizes almost immediately upon contact with air and forms a protective coating on bullets.  This is why no outdoor range is required to clean it up or regulate it.

It's regulated in indoor ranges for the lead particles in the air after scraping down the barrel.  These particles are small and can be easily inhaled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top