Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 8:18:02 PM EDT
Source: The Salt Lake Tribune
Date: September 1, 2004

Things Getting Sticky for Owner of Sticker

Derek Kjar is not the president's biggest fan.

But the 19-year-old Salt Lake County man says he does not intend to harm President Bush with anything more than a vote for John Kerry come November.

Just to be sure, though, agents from the Secret Service recently paid Kjar a visit, telling him that his neighbors had alerted them to a potentially threatening bumper sticker on his car.

The sticker, which can be found on a number of Web sites, features a black-and-white likeness of Bush, a crown tilted slightly on his head. Under the image are the words "KING GEORGE - OFF WITH HIS HEAD."

Glen Passey, agent in charge of the Secret Service's Salt Lake City office, would not confirm that agents visited Kjar.

But Passey said his office investigates all threats against the president.

"Oh, please," said David Hudson, a research attorney who works for the First Amendment Center at Vanderbilt University. "It's political hyperbole. However distasteful you might think it is, it's pure political speech."

Hudson said the message would never qualify as a true threat under the law.

But Kjar didn't know that. He said the agent he contacted in response to a cryptic message left on his voice mail would not even say why he wanted to talk - only that he wanted to meet Thursday morning.

That's when Kjar began to cry. "I didn't know what the hell was going on," he said. "It made me so nervous."

Kjar said two agents visited him at his job at a dry cleaning service, where they asked him about whether he had any ties to terrorist groups or enjoyed reading historical accounts of assassinations. They also asked Kjar about his friends and family, and even wanted to know how he paid his monthly rent.

The agents finally left after Kjar handed over the sticker.

Kjar said he feared the agents were going to "take me away."

Now, he feels as if they did.

"I kind of feel trapped, like I'm not allowed to express my opinions. I felt like my freedom of speech was shot to hell right there."

Dani Eyer, director of the Utah chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, said Kjar's experience exemplifies the "chilling effect" government actions can have on free speech.

She cited U.S. Supreme Court rulings that protect exaggerated political expression.

In 1969, for instance, the high court overturned the conviction of a man who said he wanted to place President Johnson in the sights of his rifle if he were ever to be drafted.

"While direct advocacy of immediate violence can possibly be a crime, context is everything," Eyer said. "Only someone who has never read the Declaration of Independence and never heard of King Louis XVI could have mistaken revolutionary war rhetoric for a criminal threat."
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh please.  They would have done the same thing if someone had a sticker like that with "King William" 8 years ago.

"Waaah.  Waaah.   Waaaah.  I am a whiney liberal.  Waaahh..."
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#2]
"Whiney liberal"....no kidding.

He said the agent he contacted in response to a cryptic message left on his voice mail would not even say why he wanted to talk - only that he wanted to meet Thursday morning.

That's when Kjar began to cry. "I didn't know what the hell was going on," he said. "It made me so nervous."

WTF...He started crying because the Secret Service called and wanted to talk?

[DUmode]How cruel of them to torment this poor guy! They sure are living up to their SS initials! I smell a lawsuit coming on. [/DUmode]

Now if the Secret Service had called me I would be nervous, yes. But I don't have bumper stickers on my car, or make threatening statements in word or cyberspace. I would be nervous a bit, but mostly curious. But to breakdown and cry. DUDE...GET A GRIP!

"And this person votes."
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The guy's a drama queen trying to drum up more support for sKerry.

"Look out for Bush's Brown shirts!! Waaaaa!!"
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I agree the 'crying'  was a bit over the top.  Depends on what and how far you'll go with stickers on your cars.

I'm sure some of you remember some time ago, the FBI put out a flyer advising law enforcement to be on the look out for potential domestic terrorists, by the affiliation stickers they placed on their vehicles.  I'll try and dig it up for you.  Seems they lump enthusiastic gun owners/defenders of the Constitution with potential terrorists and extremists.

I don't know about you but if the Government seems more concerned about bumper stickers, than illegals screaming across our borders - I'd say some priorities are a little f'd up.

Ahhh, heres the flyer folks, and it appears it "never got off the ground"  Disturbing nevertheless if thats the mindset of some:

www.keepandbeararms.com/images/FBI-MCSOTerroristFlyer-Front.jpg
www.keepandbeararms.com/images/FBI-MCSOTerroristFlyer-Back.jpg

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The fact that secret service agents would even bother with this is silly. The guy is a douchebag, but it is his right to express his political views. Since he did hand over the sticker, I do believe that he did indeed cry when he recieved that phone message. I wonder if the agents asked for the sticker or if squishyboy volunteered it.
You may not have any respect for the crybaby, but it should be very disturbing that he was visited by gov agents over nothing more than a bumper sticker.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Does that mean this joke could land me in jail?

Sleepless Night in the Whitehouse

One night, George W. Bush is tossing restlessly in his White House bed.  He awakens to see George Washington standing by him. Bush asks him, "George, what's the best thing I can do to help the country?"

"Set an honest and honorable example, just as I did," Washington advises, and then fades away.

The next night, Bush is astir again, and sees the ghost of Thomas Jefferson moving through the darkened bedroom. Bush calls out, "Tom, please!  What is the best thing I can do to help the contry?"

"Respect the Constitution, as I did," Jefferson advises, and dims from sight.

The third night sleep is still not in the cards for Bush. He awakens to see the ghost of FDR hovering over his bed. Bush whispers, "Franklin, What is the best thing I can do to help the country?"

"Help the less fortunate, just as I did," FDR replies and fades into the mist.

Bush isn't sleeping well the fourth night when he sees another figure moving in the shadows. It is the ghost of Abraham Lincoln.

Bush pleads, "Abe, what is the best thing I can do right now to help the country?"

Lincoln replies, "Go see a play."

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does that mean this joke could land me in jail?

Sleepless Night in the Whitehouse

One night, George W. Bush is tossing restlessly in his White House bed.  He awakens to see George Washington standing by him. Bush asks him, "George, what's the best thing I can do to help the country?"

"Set an honest and honorable example, just as I did," Washington advises, and then fades away.

The next night, Bush is astir again, and sees the ghost of Thomas Jefferson moving through the darkened bedroom. Bush calls out, "Tom, please!  What is the best thing I can do to help the contry?"

"Respect the Constitution, as I did," Jefferson advises, and dims from sight.

The third night sleep is still not in the cards for Bush. He awakens to see the ghost of FDR hovering over his bed. Bush whispers, "Franklin, What is the best thing I can do to help the country?"

"Help the less fortunate, just as I did," FDR replies and fades into the mist.

Bush isn't sleeping well the fourth night when he sees another figure moving in the shadows. It is the ghost of Abraham Lincoln.

Bush pleads, "Abe, what is the best thing I can do right now to help the country?"

Lincoln replies, "Go see a play."

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't know about you but if the Government seems more concerned about bumper stickers, than illegals screaming across our borders - I'd say some priorities are a little f'd up.

I'd say your understanding of the various branches and orgs of the FedGov is "a little f'd up."
The Secret Service's mandate is to protect the Life & Security of the President, not patrol the fuggin' BORDERS.

I for one am HAPPY that this little cretin got squeezed for his childish fantasy re the death of a President. 'Chill Wind' THIS, LLLeftist mofos.

'Free Speech' is not 'Free', and it has fucking LIMITS.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]
That "guy" has an innie where he should have an outie.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:01:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Can anyone confirm that the Secret Service ever actually talked to the clown and that this is nothing more than a publicity stunt?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The guy's a drama queen trying to drum up more support for sKerry.

"Look out for Bush's Brown shirts!! Waaaaa!!"

+1
I agree

Can anyone confirm that the Secret Service ever actually talked to the clown and that this is nothing more than a publicity stunt?

Good question.....  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:16:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ahhh, heres the flyer folks, and it appears it "never got off the ground"  Disturbing nevertheless if thats the mindset of some:

www.keepandbeararms.com/images/FBI-MCSOTerroristFlyer-Front.jpg
www.keepandbeararms.com/images/FBI-MCSOTerroristFlyer-Back.jpg

Hmmm.......according to that, I be in deep doodoo.....since I think people should be wary of big government, especially when they say "we just want to help you"; and the fact that I DON'T have a lot of friends, and don't really WANT a lot of friends (been burned and backstabbed by way to many of them) so I guess I'm considered a "lone individual"

Wonder how many other categories I could be made to fit.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:50:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd say your understanding of the various branches and orgs of the FedGov is "a little f'd up."
The Secret Service's mandate is to protect the Life & Security of the President, not patrol the fuggin' BORDERS.

I for one am HAPPY that this little cretin got squeezed for his childish fantasy re the death of a President. 'Chill Wind' THIS, LLLeftist mofos.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So by that are you implying that your right to own a gun can be limited they are both protected in the constitution arent they?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol  what part of "Congress shall make now law" did you not understand?

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thought this about sumed it up. These bumper stickers are available.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#18]
The wambulance is coming. Puhleeze.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top