Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 3:49:36 PM EDT
I am thinking of getting my daughter a pug for Christmas.  I live in a duplex with a small yard.  I am looking for a dog that can stay in the house most of the time but will be relatively low maintence.  By that I mean not a lot of grooming.  If you have a pug, give me the lowdown.  If you have another suggestion, suggest away.  

PS my daughter says it must be cute.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a solid black male and it is the best dog I have ever had.. He is very friendly loves to play and loves to sleep.. I can not say enough about him.. If you have any questions please feel free to ask..  One thing is they are not the type of dog that you can leave them be for a long time... They require alot of attention.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
From what I have seen ( I work in the Vet field), I have yet to meet a Pug that wasnt a great dog. Short coats will require minimal grooming. Exercise can be a few laps around the coffee table. BUT, they are a short faced breed which will lead to loud/annoying/entertaining breathing. AND LOTS OF SNORING...you have been warned
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Used to know one around the Neighborhood his name was Buttugly.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]
A VW Pug?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
When I was growing up we raised Pugs and Dobermans comercially. Pugs are great family dogs, my neice has one now. They are generally very friendly and playfull dogs and don't require much grooming, although they do shed some. As has been stated they are noisy breathers and snort a lot but you get used to that pretty quick. Add one to the family and enjoy it!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#9]
my GF's best friend's Pug is visiting for a few days....

ONE TWO WORD(S): FUCKING SMELLY!! no matter how much you bathe them, an hour later-back to being smelly. My house smells now too.

oh yea, snores louder than an old fat mongal horde warrior.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Love them doggies.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#11]
My pug (Peety) is almost two years old and is a great family dog ...  other than hoggin' the bed at night...  He hates to be left alone for any period of time and does require a a lot of attention.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:56:35 PM EDT
[#12]
My family has a 2 year old female pug. She is absolutely the best "inside" dog that I have ever had. She just lays around the house most of the time sleeping, but when the kids want to play she is willing to accomodate. She has had tens of kids pull her hair and tail playing with her, and never so much as a peep. The only times I have ever heard a bark out of her is when someone knocks on the front door, and even then she just lets out one quick bark.
She does snore quite a bit. Even while she is wide awake, she will be watching tv with us just snoring away. The only downside is that she does shed quite a bit. If anything ever happens to this dog, I know that the next dog we get will be another pug.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Got one as a reverse inheritance 3 years ago. Good points: are fun loving, playful and good with people. Bad points: gluttons, sleep on the back of the couch, loves trouble (not the bad kind), demands a great deal of attention, and I can not get her out of the bed. On the whole she has been worth it to myself and the family.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
When I was growing up we raised Pugs and Dobermans comercially. Pugs are great family dogs, my neice has one now. They are generally very friendly and playfull dogs and don't require much grooming, although they do shed some. As has been stated they are noisy breathers and snort a lot but you get used to that pretty quick. Add one to the family and enjoy it!

How ironic, my family raised Dobermans and we had a pug as well, my mother just got a new pug after her Boston Terrier died. I encouraged her to get a pug too. I just miss the little critters around the home.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Got two little piggies in our family, absolutely awesome dogs.  Cuter than any dog has a right to be, super friendly, excellent indoor dogs.  Get one (or two), you'll love 'em.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine is coming up on 6 months old.  He likes to sleep at the other computer when I work from home.  I woke him up taking his picture.  Awsome dogs!

Edited to add they cock their heads a lot like he's doing in the two pics.  You cannot be in a bad mood with a pug around!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
my GF's best friend's Pug is visiting for a few days....

ONE TWO WORD(S): FUCKING OUTRAGEOUSLY SMELLY!! no matter how much you bathe them, an hour later-back to being smelly. My house smells now too.

oh yea, snores louder than an old fat mongal horde warrior.

+1.31472

We have one and it was my wifes before we got married.  I have bathed the dog shit (no pun) out of this dog and it smells to high heaven STILL.
That said, it is the sweetest little dog I think I have ever dealt with.  Good with my kids, very good natured.  Doesn't really bark or act as protector or anything.  I would catagorize her in the [small] catagory for dogs and [toy] catagory for attitude.  She sheds very little and yes she snores.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
JT, that is a beautiful dog... great head on him!  Love the very humanesque face they have!

thanks, he is a funny little beastie!

I think he looks like Winston Churchill when he sits outside on the deck.

Buster doesn't stink though unless you feed him cheap dog food then he farts enough to peel the paint on a battleship!  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one and he is probably one of the best dogs my wife and I have ever had. Wolfpack is right on the money when it comes to the over heating issue. They do not fare well in high temps but other than that if you are wanting to get one for your daughter I would with out a doubt not hesitate to recommend one. They are great with kids, do great in small enviroments , and they love to ride in a car or truck. Their coats require minimal grooming , but they do shed a bit and if you can't stand any snoring look out! I can hear mine when he is asleep anywhere in the house.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Hell mine is 2 and he has never smelled other than the occasional fart .. We also have a Rottiweiler and he is more alert than that dog ever will be. The least little noise and he is at attention letting me know something is going on.

JT I will second what the Hiramranger said, you have one fine pug there , great face !!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#23]
You folks are starting to scare me with the smelly stuff...I had a friend growing up who had a pug and I don't remember it being especially smelly but his mother had about 3 other dogs in the house so it was kinda hard to tell.  Is it a skin condition that makes them smell?  Jtw2, if I show those pictures to my daughter, I'll be committed.  That is one cute dog.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You folks are starting to scare me with the smelly stuff...I had a friend growing up who had a pug and I don't remember it being especially smelly but his mother had about 3 other dogs in the house so it was kinda hard to tell.  Is it a skin condition that makes them smell?  Jtw2, if I show those pictures to my daughter, I'll be committed.  That is one cute dog.

haha!  They are FAR cuter live.  They have more personality than any dog I've ever had or seen.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't stand most dogs, but if I could I would have a pug right now.  Cutest damn things ever.  Always seem to be loyal, fun dogs.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#27]

We need some more pics of these little guys.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
members.aol.com/StudPugNY/ottoman3.jpg

members.aol.com/StudPugNY/pugnator.jpg

members.aol.com/StudPugNY/xmaspup.jpg

members.aol.com/StudPugNY/achill_4.jpg

That's all I have for now

Nice dog Hiram, now I need a black one!  They always look like they're smiling.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I have one, and her name is Miss Sofia.  She is the best dog I ever owned.  Be warned that they do pass gas, and sometimes they pass these little "wet" farts will stain the carpet, but that can be cleaned with a carpet machine.  They are extremely loving and they go, go, go all of the time.  They shed a lot and snore even more.  You have been advised.  Go buy one from a reputable breeder.  Be ready for non-stop action.

medic out
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is a couple pics of my little guy Stumpy aka The Fart Master !!

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:16:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I know someone who is looking for an AKC papered pug puppy as a Chistmas present for her son.  She is willing to drive anywhere (?!, her words) to get it, but wants to get it as close to Christmas as possible.

Anyone know of a reputable breeder or dealer in Massachusetts or Southern New England?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:59:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top