Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2004 3:11:39 PM EDT
Is it OK to eat a lot of tuna fish?  It is really high in protein, cheap, and comes in really convient packages to eat in between meals as a snack.  I am trying to bulk up now and that seems like a good source of protein.  Or is it a bad idea to eat it every day due to mercury content?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope; tuna rocks. I ate tuna for 4 monthys straight; great as long as you eat some fruit for carbs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it is high in mercury, might wanna check that. I eat it once a week or so.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Recently the FDA has said that pregnant women should avoid high amounts of tuna due to the mercury content but did not make such warnings for males. Hence bad for developing minds but ok for older, dumber ones.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#6]
You havent lived until you have eaten fresh Yellowfin. Either as Sashimi, or grilled steaks or made into tuna salad.  Some of the best stuff there is.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe cans marked "Albacor" or "Long Fin Albacor" has lower mercury level than those marked simply as "Tuna".

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#8]
So if I eat a pack of albacore a day I should be fine?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Eat your fill everyday, or until you develop an unexplainable urge to mate with a female tuna (or a girl that smells like a tuna), or until you change your name to Charlie.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#10]

two out of three cans of albacore contained mercury at levels above 0.35 ppm, which was the level upon which FDA based its fish advisory for tuna mercury.

PDF file
www.mercurypolicy.org/new/documents/TunaReleaseFinal012604.pdf
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#11]
So what happens if you get too much mercury?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ever hear of the mad hatter?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#13]
You become very sensative to changes in temperature.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#14]

i know youre being serious, eagle, but these guys are cracking me up
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

you die
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Yea, tuna is a great source of protein and don't believe all that BS about "mercury levels in the ocean".  Recent publications have come out recently about testing done with Pacific Islanders who eat 7.5 times more tuna than the normal U.S. citizen, and none of their children have any defects nor do the suffer any health problems from it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yea, tuna is a great source of protein and don't believe all that BS about "mercury levels in the ocean".  Recent publications have come out recently about testing done with Pacific Islanders who eat 7.5 times more tuna than the normal U.S. citizen, and none of their children have any defects nor do the suffer any health problems from it.

Same logic as mexicans drink the water and they are fine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#19]
No, actually, not at all. Mexicans can drink water native to their region because they have anti-bodies that deal with the bacteria found in that area.

Mercury, however, is a toxic heavy metal that you don't build an "immunity" to. The consumption of Mercury, no matter what the organism, is not healthy. However, the toxicity levels in the ocean are not great enough to pose a detriment to humans.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You become very sensative to changes in temperature.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You weigh a lot more and have the uncanny ability to switch lights on and off.

CW
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Mercury is compounded in the body so say a tuna eats a small amount over a period of time the tuna is unable to dispose of it and it stays in its body and gradually builds up so even a small amount of builds up overtime. I do think it is stored in fat tissue (could be wrong) and if this is the case then there probably isnt much in canned tuna since it is very lean. I had a teacher that would always warn us of the threat mercury and other toxins but she was a f*cking tree hugger vegatarian and found out that about half of what she taught us was B.S. I wouldnt worry about it Im sure that if it were that big of a deal it would be more known. Also I think most of the research comes from bias groups and organizations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top