Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/5/2004 11:14:17 AM EDT
C'mon guys, is the carrying handle on the M-16/AR-15 for carrying or not?

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry mine with it sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry mine with it, usually when moving it around the apartment. normally at the range I only carry it by the pistol grip in order to better control where the muzzle is pointed
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#4]
The M60 and M240B have carrying handles.  Do we use them?  Yes.
I know of no regulation or safety rule that prevents the use of the carrying handle.
Briefcase, ARMS!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Very, VERY rarely will I use it as such, and I feel awkward doing it.

Either by the pistol grip or a-la Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now (hand wrapped around the foregrip and mag well).
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#7]
A long time ago I heard a drill sgt say something like its not a purse private.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#9]
What?  Are you crazy?  Do you want to break the damn thing off?

(The only time I've seen it used like that was byt J. Wayne in  The Green Berets.)
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I can't speak for the other branches but the Marines don't use it to carry.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#11]
"Left, right, left!"

"To the left, MARCH!"

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#12]
It's great for the A1, the A2's barrel is too heavy for proper handle carry.

While in the guard I took great pleasure in holding the A1s by the handle...until that black day that they stripped us of the bullet hoses and gave us A2s.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, I use the carry handle(s), on AR's and FAL's.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't think I ever used it until I got a flattop.  Now I realize that's how I picked it up out of the case.  It's kind of awkward now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I carry mine with it at times.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#18]
its a rifle not luggage!

but i still use it...

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#19]
You can tell that a guy has never been in the service when he carries his AR by the carry handle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I've heard that in the Marines you'll get smacked around if you use it as a carryhandle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I recently shot a 3 gun match with a FAL.  Dumped 90+ rounds through it as fast as accurately possible.  It's a SAR 48, and had a proper synthetic Imbel style front handguard.  It was seriously hot, so hot that you could no longer make out the furtherst target due to heat distortion.  Aim at the center of the distortion and hope to hit...  It was impossible to hold ahead of the receiver.  I can see an occasional use for the handle...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, what driftpunch just said--the rifle gets hot and the carry handle suddenly becomes really important!

My problem is that my hand won't fit through the detachable handle on my flattop.  I may just go back to an A1, all this picatinny rail shit is starting to wear on me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It's a firearm, not a suitcase.

Why can't it be both?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You can tell that a guy has never been in the service when he carries his AR by the carry handle.

Really?

+1

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

NONE of the services has any D&C position that includes the use of the carry handle.
Then again, there's no rule against using it when out of formation.
I used to use the CH just to piss people off.  It's funny when they quote non-existent regs and start saying that "They said not to."  Then I ask them what "carry handle" means.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

NONE of the services has any D&C position that includes the use of the carry handle.
I used to use the CH just to piss people off.  It's funny when they quote non-existent regs and start saying that "They said not to."  Then I ask them what "carry handle" means.

Would you carry a bolt action rifle by the scope? the idea behind not carrying by the handle is that you could possibly knock the adjustments on your rear sight.

Then again I was in the Army, can't speak for the Navy or Airforce. Do those guys even fire weapons?

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#28]
My drills told us that it would pull your rear sight out of alignment if you carried it by the handle.  Whether or not that is true is unknown.  But God help you if you got caught using it for a handle.  Much time would be spent in the 'thinkers' position.  My elbows still hurt 16 years later!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#29]
The only downside I see is you could break your hand if you fell down with it in the carry handle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know the details, of AR development, but I suspect that being a handle was the least of it's duties.  It served as a high sight mount (important on a stright stock rifle), receiver strengthener,  and as a charging handle protector (on the very original 10).  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Sometimes when on the range they instruct us to use the carry handle for walking to the next shooting line. It's unlikely you'd knock the A2 sights on a fixed handle out of alignment. Ours still have A1 rears, no matter what you do (unless you got the adjustment tool) it ain't goin nowhere.
Still feels awkward though, in the field I always carry so that I can get it shouldered fast.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's a firearm, not a suitcase.

Why can't it be both?  

I wish I had a picture handy of the shorty M16-in-a-suitcase from "Romeo Must Die".
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Would you carry a bolt action rifle by the scope? the idea behind not carrying by the handle is that you could possibly knock the adjustments on your rear sight.

Then again I was in the Army, can't speak for the Navy or Airforce. Do those guys even fire weapons?

Use of the carry handle does not involve manipulation of the sight.
People object because of how it looks, and nothing more.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I only use it cause it's there.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Sometimes when on the range they instruct us to use the carry handle for walking to the next shooting line. It's unlikely you'd knock the A2 sights on a fixed handle out of alignment. Ours still have A1 rears, no matter what you do (unless you got the adjustment tool) it ain't goin nowhere.
Still feels awkward though, in the field I always carry so that I can get it shouldered fast.

You guys still have A1's!! What branch of the service are you in?

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

Outside of a funeral detail I never once remeber firing a rifle while in formation either, does that mean that firing your rifle while not in a formation conducting a burial service is somehow wrong as well? It would take a hell of a knock to put your rear site out of whack.

ETA: Actually the only time I recall touching the pistol grip of an M16 at while performing D&C is during an Inspect arms move, Other wise you are holding it by the front site, the front handguard and the butt (either the end of the butt when the rifle is shouldered, or the front of the butt near the reciever at port arms.

Psssst.
I was agreeing with you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#40]
sometimes

i usually carry it by the delta ring/forend area, except when its hot
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I use the carry handle....when walking back from the Ice Cream Truck
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#42]
drobs, we still got A1 style rear sights, the rest of the gun is A2 except we have full auto capability.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#43]
In the Army,carrying by the carry handle made me fell like a businessman,only thing missing was the BMW,Mercedes,Porsche..................
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
drobs, we still got A1 style rear sights, the rest of the gun is A2 except we have full auto capability.

Whoo hoo you got to enjoy that while the getting is good.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Realy?

Have you ever seen someone in the service carry more than two rifles?  Have you ever seen someone in the service cary a wounded person and two rifles? Have you ever seen a person in the service climb something that required the use of a hand?

The cary handle is there for a reason, it might not be completely neccesary (note the rise of the A3/A4) but it is usefull.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Realy?

Have you ever seen someone in the service carry more than two rifles?  Have you ever seen someone in the service cary a wounded person and two rifles? Have you ever seen a person in the service climb something that required the use of a hand?

The cary handle is there for a reason, it might not be completely neccesary (note the rise of the A3/A4) but it is usefull.

Well accidents do happen.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Hell, no!

Sorry, Currahee, but I've carried two rifles and a wounded Marine and did not use the "carry" handle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
What?  Are you crazy?  Do you want to break the damn thing off?

(The only time I've seen it used like that was byt J. Wayne in  The Green Berets.)

HEY - don't mess with The Duke.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Hell, no!

Sorry, Currahee, but I've carried two rifles and a wounded Marine and did not use the "carry" handle.

Then either A) something was unsecure or B) you wasted time slinging the wounded persons weapon (assuming your weapon was slung).

I'm not saying it is the only way to do it, it's just the best way.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#50]

When you have to carry 4 or more, it becomes really damn useful.

My DS didn't mind if it was in that situation, or when going over walls. I used it many times in the service.

Not to mention it is the only really solid place where you could string a chain through to secure it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top