Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 8:57:00 AM EDT
I guess the Clinton's of "taking the profit out of vaccines is taking its toll on manufacturers of flu vaccines. We now only have 2 companies making that stuff.
=========================================================================
money.cnn.com/2004/10/05/news/midcaps/chiron/index.htm?cnn=yes

Flu shot shortage looms
Chiron, vaccine maker who was to provide half of U.S. supply, forced to shut down U.K. plant.
October 5, 2004: 12:31 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Patients in the United States faced a shortage of flu vaccines in the upcoming flu season after Chiron Corp. announced Tuesday it would not be able to make any of the product due to regulatory problems with its British plant.

Chiron's statement said it had previously expected to provide nearly half the U.S. supply of the flu shots for the 2004-2005 season. It said it is discussing potential impact with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

U.S. public health officials said vaccine plans here would be hard hit by the annoucement.

"If what I understand is correct, then that would be a significant disruption in supply," said Dr. Walter Orenstein, assistant director of the vaccine center at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta and former director of the National Immunization Program at CDC.

Representatives for the FDA and CDC were not immediately available for comment Tuesday.

The British Department of Health confirmed to CNN it suspended Chiron's manufacturing license for three months. A spokesman said problems around the manufacturing process meant the vaccines produced couldn't be released.

The problems were uncovered as part of a regular inspection of the plant.

Chiron supplies about 15 percent of the United Kingdom's demand for flu vaccines, but officials there said they should be able to complete their vaccination plans.

Chiron has initiated discussions with the British regulators to determine the appropriate corrective actions. But it said it is now looking to supply vaccines for the 2005-2006 season, rather than making any projections of supply for the upcoming season.

On Aug. 26, Chiron said it would supply between 46 million and 48 million Fluvirin influenza virus vaccine doses to the U.S. market for the 2004-2005 flu season, beginning in early October. It also planned a late-season delivery of 2 million Fluvirin doses for a national stockpile held by the CDC.

Shares of Chiron (CHIR: down $8.05 to $37.37, Research, Estimates) plunged more than 15 percent following the announcement. Swiss drugmaker Novartis (NVS: down $0.32 to $46.50, Research, Estimates), which owns 40 percent of Chiron, also saw its shares fall on the announcment.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Good thing I don't take flu shots.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was about time for this bit of annual fear-mongering to show up.  I remember last year there were supposed to by something like 400000 deaths.    I'm still hearing crickets.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#3]
You're all going to die!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#4]
there seems to be a shortage every year
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#5]
There does seem to be a shortage every year.

For the second year in a row, the super at work wants everyone to take a flu shot this year.  Like last year, I will refuse.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh no - it's going to be Bush's fault.

Bet me.

The media will spin this.

CMOS
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing more than you’re regularly scheduled fear mongering.

ETA: no flu shot for me, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Oh no - it's going to be Bush's fault.

Bet me.

The media will spin this.

CMOS

Of course it is Bush's fault.  If he weren't so concerned with killing innocents in the Middle East, he could force drug companies to make more vaccine.

Until they come up with a vaccine that will innoculate against ALL possible strains of influenza, I don't see a point.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#9]
ive survived 32 years and no flu shot...

have had the flu on numerous occasions...

it hasnt killed me yet...

ergo, no flu shot for me this year...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
there seems to be a shortage every year

Yep.  Makes you wonder why they're so damn gung-ho on everyone getting the vaccine?

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top