Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2004 7:08:34 AM EDT
 My Stihl 031 has one foot in the grave and I am in need of a saw real soon.   I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Husqvarana 350.   Im torn between the 18 and 20 inch bar.  I really like the Stihl, but I hear alot of good things about Husqvarna....anyone have words/tips/hints for me?
  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I still like the OLD Homelite's, but I'm interested to see what other people like as well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I am in the forestry business and I personally would stick with either the Stihl or the Husqvarna, both are good saws.

I use a Stihl 360 or 036 with a 20" bar, not sure why they switched the numbers around; it has been a good saw.  I mostly use it on thinning projects.  My partner used a Husqvarna 268, it was also a good saw, but I don't think they make that model any more.

If they are comparable, I would just get the cheaper saw.  I would also look where you could get parts.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#3]
After years of experience with the USFS and the State of Oregon, with Stihl 038, 041, 044, 046 Magnum and Husky 257, 262xp, 272, and 371xp.....My personnal saw is a Husky 371xp with 28" Oregon bar. I prefer Husky over stihl for balance and comfort. My favorite stihl is the 046 Magnum which has fantastic torque!!

Hope this helped

Karl
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I still like the OLD Homelite's, but I'm interested to see what other people like as well.

My dad still has an old one sitting around, no plastic on that saw, it must weigh at least 20 pounds.  I think the carb is gone on that saw, I cut for a few min. and had to adjust the carb., over and over.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:23:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Jonsered
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Sunday I had to use a little tiny Mccullough saw that was way underpowered for what we were cutting.  The 350 is running in the 270-300 dollar range, but the way I figure that will pay for itself in one day of cutting wood (wood prices around here are crazy right now and natural gas prices just jumped up 18%).  Any good places online to purchase a chainsaw?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My favorite stihl is the 046 Magnum which has fantastic torque!!
Karl

I would have to agree with this, also my favorite stihl saw.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Poulan Pro.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#9]
The 350 is a damn good saw.  Only problem we've had with ours was the rubber line from the gas tank to the carb dry-rotted.

As for the bar length, it all depends on what you're cutting with it.  We use 18".
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#10]
husky 350..18in bar.........mine kicks serious lumber ass.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Nothing but Stihl!! 044 and 028 owner - 044 is ten years old and has about 500 cords through it with just one sproket and several chains replaced-still ahs original bar - just picked up 028 for limbing and love it so far.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Whew! I'm back online after over 2 weeks of outage from Hurricane Ivan.

I have had a Craftsman 18" saw for nine years and it was used pretty heavily during the cleanup. I don't know who manufactures it for them, but I would recommend it highly. It tore non-stop through the pine and oak.

My wife and I spent one pretty scary night together when 6 trees fell on the house here in Pensacola and another 20 trees came down around us. It sounded like a jet engine outside the house for about 4 hours. The room that held the Liberty safe was destroyed, but the contents of the safe stayed dry! Pays to buy quality!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#13]
As a former logger here in in the Northwest, go with Stihl....my preference for your application would be for a 036 with a 20" bar or a MS460 Mag with a 32"-36" bar.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Jonsered

+1
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:15:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I have had 2 Stihl Saws in the past. Both were Junk. Now I buy a cheap Pooulan or whatever is on sale. Throw it away when it Quits. It's Cheaper than the repair bill on the Stihl's
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#16]
<---registered forester

<---prefers Stihl

<---acknowledges that Husky makes a fine saw, too.....but still prefers Stihl.

Either will work.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have had 2 Stihl Saws in the past. Both were Junk. Now I buy a cheap Pooulan or whatever is on sale. Throw it away when it Quits. It's Cheaper than the repair bill on the Stihl's

explain your problems.......I'd like to hear about them in detail.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Husky 350 with 18" bar...great saw. I have used Stihls also...great saws, too. Bought the Husky because I got a good deal on it from a friend in the business, but I would have bought a Stihl just as fast if it had been the better deal. He repairs them also and says both are equally good really, just depends on how they are used and maintenance.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Carb's always seemed to get out of whack and I could never  keep them running.  For the $60 to $80 repair bill,  I can Buy another Cheap Saw. I am not a forester, But cut wood every year for my fireplace and Smoker. Also clear parts of my land from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Carb's always seemed to get out of whack and I could never  keep them running.  For the $60 to $80 repair bill,  I can Buy another Cheap Saw. I am not a forester, But cut wood every year for my fireplace and Smoker. Also clear parts of my land from time to time.

I see your problem. If you're gonna use a saw once or twice a year, store it completely dry w/ only a film of lube in the motor. At the very least, add a few drops of fuel treatment or something to it.

I use mine often enough that it's not a problem.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see your problem. If you're gonna use a saw once or twice a year, store it completely dry w/ only a film of lube in the motor. At the very least, add a few drops of fuel treatment or something to it.

I use mine often enough that it's not a problem.

I always drain the gas and run them until the carbs are dry.  I don't know how to leaxe a film of lube in the motor/carb
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I have an 18" 350.  I have had it about a year now and it has done tons of work for me.  Highly recommended.  I bought it at Northwest Power Tools

Note:  The land I bought was ravaged by various hurricanes and ice storms over the years and this is the first time anyone has begun to clean up the mess.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had my Stihl for 7 years..great saw. It got to work overtime after hurricane Ivan, I had 2 chains sharpened and bought 2 more, the Stihl is bulletproof. Not sure of why the person on here had problems, can't tell it by me.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jonsered

+1

+1

Mom has one that's almost as old as I am and it's still running strong.

Stihl makes a damn fine product too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Husky 350.  a few years old and has been worked  HARD.  Great saw.

Rip
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Stihl all the way, 025, and MS310.

The Sears saws were made by Poulan, at least for a while. I had one of the older ones. It was a good first saw.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Stihl, or Husky,  you cant go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#29]
NOW THIS IS A CHAINSAW!!!!!!!!

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/154/

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a Mac 3200 16" saw that simply will not die.  But it's not a real saw!

Seriously, Your choices are both the best and winners.  My suggestion is to get the saw that is most universally used and serviced in your area.  Eliminating saw down time is your major concern... and chain replacement...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
here's a piece of advice for you...don't buy any saw that has a PLASTIC crankcase. this includes must huskys and stihls.

Or any pistols with a plastic crankcase either. Although I must add I would buy Husqvarna.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

+1 Ive had one sincs high school thats 20 years plus it was 20 plus years when I got it.The rental placs always wanted to buy it when I bought a new air filter ect.It was what he used for his rentals.He did switch to Sthils when parts became expensive.He still has them for backups though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jonsered

+1

+1

+3
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#34]
If they were still produced, I would suggest a Sachs-Dolmar..............thats one chainsaw that will run like hell forever
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
NOW THIS IS A CHAINSAW!!!!!!!!

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/154/

Ah yes, the FORD V8 powered chainsaw...friggin beast. That think makes hippies and envirowhackos quake in their birkenstocks and sob.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Stilh 044.  Never breaks down, runs like a beast.  It make cutting very easy as it does all the work for you.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#37]
i recommend this chainsaw. strongly.

www.killsometime.com/video/video.asp?video=V8-Chainsaw
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I own 2 Stihl chainsaws. Never owned a Husky and as long as my Stihl saw's keep operating like they do I won't ever need to switch.

Not bad mouthing Husky.

I like my Stihl's.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jonsered

+1 hr

+1

+3hr

+4

My dad grew trees to sell. He heated with wood. (I spent a lot of time splitting firewood as a kid.)
When I was young he had a big blue metal cased Homelite. I thought that was the saw.
He replaced it with a big Echo. After about ten years the studs that hold the bar started pulling out of the case. (I think it was abused, but not by him or me.) He got it fixed, and I still use it.

He replaced it with a pair of Jonsereds, because the local shop recommended them. I've used a lot of saws, including Stihls, but htose Jonsereds' are beasts.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#40]
I just picked up a Husqvarna 372XP with a 24" bar and I love it. I went out the other day with a buddy and his Stihl MS440 Magnum. We got about 3 chords in 4 hours before a storm came in and we left. Both are great saws. Get what the locals have and what the local shops will work on.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:31:00 PM EDT
[#41]
The Army replaced our POS Solos and Homelites with Husqvarnas about 5 years ago... and in 5 years I have had fewer problems from all we have in the company than I would get from one of the others in a years time.

If the 21B's can't tear it up, it has to be a tough saw..... those boys are rough on things!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#42]
You can not go wrong with either Husqvarna or Stihl.

My preference Husqvarna.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#43]
I own two Stihls, 3 if you count the 028super I bought for my dad, that I use to clean up their place and cut their firewood.

My saws are an older 026(adjustable highspeed) and an 038 magnumII, which is a whole 'nother animal fron the original 038, actually more displacement than an 044.

The 038MII says "made in WEST germany" on it, I've never bought anything but chains, sprockets,plugs and filters for it, still runs perfectly after hundreds of cords and many trucks of timber.

026 is THE firewood saw, if you're going to buy a stihl for personal use that's the one.

Nothing whatsoever wrong with huskies, or jonsereds either (both electrolux products) Solo makes an exceptional saw as well.

BUY WHATEVER YOUR LOCAL PRO SHOP STOCKS.

I seem to find a nearly new Stihl at a garage sale about twice a year, usually with a clogged filter or fouled plug, almost always worth the asking price and almost always talk 'em down. Pick it up by the starter, if you can count to three between compression pops it's a good saw 99% of the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top