Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 6:25:47 AM EDT
Here's the situation, I ordered a few hats & a T-shirt from Diemaco the other day, shirts are very cool btw, & a few minutes ago I got a call from Fedex stating that since the items are considered textiles, according to US Customs they need my SSN in their database to allow the items accross the border.

WTF??

I told her that I would get back with her later after I did some research. What do you guys think??

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:28:48 AM EDT
[#1]
They want your SSN ...............tell them fuck you,  that is not the purpose of a SSN
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:35:56 AM EDT
[#2]
for Personal use Items? Thats BS.

You need to get a Supervisor on the phone.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't do it. It's a trap scam.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:45:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Tell 'em you'll need their SSN's before you'll give out yours
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#5]
The SSN is not for identification or any other purpose than SS.

Some Customs asshat wants to know who you are.  Give them a fake number.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Import/Export of commodities in the U.S. usually requires an EIN (Employer Identification Number) or SSN. It has been this way pre-9/11, though I've never seen it applied to personal stuff before. You usually only see it when one company is shipping equipment to another company.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I don't think so - import is import, whether it's personal use or not.

I had to pay something like $70 about 5 years ago on a jacket (made of egyptian cotton) that I got shipped here from the U.K.

... and then it was too big!!!     I still haven't worn it - it's hanging in my closet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Import/Export of commodities in the U.S. usually requires an EIN (Employer Identification Number) or SSN. It has been this way pre-9/11, though I've never seen it applied to personal stuff before. You usually only see it when one company is shipping equipment to another company.

Here you go, try this!
----------------------------
"Embrace the lie. It's not wrong to lie to people
about things that are none of their business. Pizza
guy wants your ss#? Sure, it's 078-05-1120! This is
the number printed on those sample SS cards stuck in
wallets sold by department stores many years ago. Your
date of birth? Feb 31st. (It was one of those double
leap years that only come around once every 200 years,
don't ya know?)"
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
They want your SS for taxes.  There is an import tax on textiles.  I got a North Face jacket and got a bill from customs for $15.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had to pay something like $70 about 5 years ago on a jacket (made of egyptian cotton) that I got shipped here from the U.K.

... and then it was too big!!!     I still haven't worn it - it's hanging in my closet.

Egyptian cotton, eh?  I'm 6'1", 180#. Think it'll fit me?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:20:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The SSN is not for identification or any other purpose than SS.

Some Customs asshat wants to know who you are.  Give them a fake number.

Uh, wrong. Look at a SS card issued within the last few years. They distinctly lack the caption that they aren't for identification purposes, or whatever it used to say. Noticed it when we got the SS card for our 4 yoa daughter.

Also, with your SSN, I can find out ANYTHING about you that I want to know. It wasn't supposed to be used this way but nowadays it is. Sucks, but there it is.

Bub
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#12]
So it sounds like that if I want the package I'll have to give up the SSN & a few $$ to boot. What a bunch of BS.
Found this on the Fedex website:

Customs BS

E.
U.S. Customs regulations require the IRS Employer Identification Number (EIN) or, if an individual, the Social Security Number (SSN) of the U.S. recipient for certain shipments being imported into the United States.

THIS INFORMATION MUST BE INCLUDED ON THE INTERNATIONAL AIR WAYBILL AND COMMERCIAL INVOICE FOR ALL U.S. IMPORT SHIPMENTS. The EIN or SSN must be on file with the U.S. Customs Service. Any changes to a company name, address or the EIN/SSN should be provided to FedEx for system updating.

Shipments which arrive in the U.S. that do not have the correct EIN or SSN may be detained until that information can be obtained from the recipient or otherwise determined.

This U.S. Customs Service requirement applies to U.S. import shipments with a declared value for customs in excess of US $2,000* and for the following commodities regardless of value: textiles or textile products, leather or leather products, or other goods that are restricted or controlled requiring a formal entry by the U.S. Customs Service, and shipments processed electronically through the Automated Broker Interface/Automated Commercial System (ABI/ACS).

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Isn't this a violation of NAFTA, and all those other free trade agreements that are bleeding this country of our manufacturing jobs?

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Egyptian cotton jacket?

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Egyptian cotton jacket?

www.crookedbrook.com/Women's-Chef's-Jackets/Sheree_3017.JPG

I WISH - more like this:

Sorry, thelastgunslinger I'm 6'3' and 220, so if it's too big for me, it's definitely too big for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top