Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2004 8:54:04 PM EDT
California: San Francisco Moves To Ban All 50 Caliber Guns and Ammunition
San Francisco is near completion of a local ordinance to ban all .50-caliber rifles and handguns -- along with their ammunition. San Francisco would be the first city in the nation to ban the sale of .50 caliber ammunition for sniper rifles or big-bore handguns. The city action would expand a new state law that simply restricts .50 caliber sniper rifles – the law was backed by the Brady Campaign united with the Million Mom March and a large coalition of gun violence prevention advocates. The city action is partially in response to a huge new .50 caliber handgun launched by Smith & Wesson, which claimed the gun was intended for “big game hunting” while it markets the weapon in urban areas.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I'm sure theres a gang banger out there with a S&W .50
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#2]
A San Francisco supervisor has quietly introduced a proposal to join growing efforts to ban the sale or transfer of high-powered sniper rifles, prompting gun lobbyists to threaten a lawsuit against The City.

Supervisor Matt Gonzalez's plan is part of a growing legal pressure against the military-style .50-caliber weapons that are capable of penetrating armor and striking targets up to four miles away. A gun-lobby lawsuit is proceeding against Contra Costa County for its recent ban of the rifles in unincorporated areas of that East Bay region.

U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein has worked for years to curb the .50-caliber's prevalence, and a spokesman from her office said she would be supportive of a local effort.

"We've tried to limit them on a national level and we haven't been able to get that through," said Howard Gantman of Feinstein's office.

Contra Costa supervisors passed a ban on the rifles this spring, arguing that they might be used for terrorist attacks on local refineries. The City of Los Angeles has a similar ban, and these efforts to restrict the guns are now working their way through state and federal legislatures.

The guns are popular among hobbyists who use them for target practice, but are not common in San Francisco.

Gonzalez on Tuesday introduced legislation to clean up local gun laws that conflict with state law and recent court decisions and to add the ban on the sale and transfer of .50-caliber rifles in San Francisco.

Gun-lobby attorney Chuck Michel called the San Francisco effort "premature" and said that, depending on the outcome of the current Contra Costa suit, he might press a case against The City if legislators pass a .50-caliber ban.

"I don't know why they would want to get involved in litigation," he said.

The sniper rifles, available easily over the Internet for a few thousand dollars, have "never been used in a crime," Michel said, adding that efforts to ban them buy into a new argument that they are "simply too big. The problem is there is no such thing as a gun that is 'just right' ... in the mind of the gun-ban lobby."

A San Francisco ban on the rifles might help fuel a national crackdown, but local law enforcement officials said they don't see their use in gun crimes here.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol, they think its a big deal that they sell a big game hunting gun in urban areas! Hell, I know lots of people who live in the city and hunt elsewheree. Africa even.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Lol, they think its a big deal that they sell a big game hunting gun in urban areas! Hell, I know lots of people who live in the city and hunt elsewheree. Africa even.

They have to live in the city to make the cash.

I wonder if anyone ever tells these asshats how many crimes are committed with 50 cals?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
SF only has one gun shop apparently.

Anybody have any details on this shop? What does it sell?

CRC
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I lived there for 4 years. Never again will I go back. Fuck that city, and CA. I didnt even think they had a gun shop.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#7]
What criminals use .50 handguns or rifles to commit crimes??? You definitely have to watch out for those gang bangers and their barret .50 snipin ya from 1.5 miles away.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By CRC

Supervisor Matt Gonzalez's plan is part of a growing legal pressure against the military-style .50-caliber weapons that are capable of penetrating armor and striking targets up to four miles away.

Wholly cow!  Going thru armor at 4 miles away.  I am suprised they didn't just say it was capable or reaching the moon.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]
4 miles? I wish I could shoot anything from 4 miles away. Its not like this .50 cal rifle is a fucking 120mm cannon....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
SF only has one gun shop apparently.

Anybody have any details on this shop? What does it sell?

CRC

I'm pretty sure there was at least two at one time, both of which are out of buisness. Cali sucks, these freakin attention whores need to get a clue.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:52:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There are days where I wish we had liberated California instead of Iraq...

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That ain't no shit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:14:32 AM EDT
[#14]
A perfect solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:52:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Preach on Lumpy ... Preach on.

I broke free of the tyranny of Kommie-fornia earlier this year.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:56:41 AM EDT
[#16]
They might as well go after shotgun slugs if they want to ban everything .50cal and bigger.

Marketing in urban areas?  Well city folk hunt too! Sheshhh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top