Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2004 8:49:26 PM EDT
My current contract with Verison is up and I get a new phone with my renewal, I have a problem with keeping a phone in one piece for more that a year, it just seem that I destroy them with out even trying. I’ve had flip phones and regulars. All have perished at my hands.

Is there a “Armored” Cell phone out ? I have a Motorola VP something or other that has a metal cover , it now to is on it’s last leg, but seemed to out last the others. Please if you  know of a good phone , and it’s version compatible please let me know !
                        THANKS
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I had an old Motorola "brick phone" woth 30min battery life and a bad signal.  It could the thrown into walls though.  I dont think it would work well or you could get one.  

I got a Motorola flip phone now.  Its got a alumium case and takes being dropped alot.  The antenna brakes off but can be epoxied back on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say get a nextel... I've had them for work, and many times they got banged around, without a glitch.

Of course, they WERE originally designed for contractors, etc. But compared to other 'regular' phones I've had/used, Hands down, in my opinion, they are the most rugged phones you can get.  

Also nice, if you get them for family members, as you can usually use the 'walkie-talkie' function, instead of wasting minutes on your plan.  

JB
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Sanyo 4900 - pretty simple, full color screen w/speakerphone. Dropped it off of ladders, etc. finally washed it by accident. It still worked, but they replaced it, because they wouldn't guarantee it woul work.

Tried it the other day. It still does.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Get Nextel. Their phones are tough as hell. I dented the cab of my truck with one and it worked fine. Drops, dozens of drops, on pavement, a 4 level drop to a steel deck (Navy). It finally died when I was using it and washing my hands. After all that dropping it in the sink did it in.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I spend a majority of my time in the boonies while at work ( rural police officer )  and like you  mentioned Nextel just does not have the coverage ,   Verizon does , at least in my area. I like the Motorolas that were mentioned but to spend upwards of $200.00 on a phone that I will most likely kill is not what I want to do. If I stick with what version is offering then I get a better deal because of the contact package . I guess I need to pick the most rugged from  Verizon line up   www.vzwshop.com/
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:13:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am currently using a Nokia 3390, it is an old clunker, I got it at a pawn shop for twenty bucks and it has a damn Tigger cover on it. It is a true no frills unit, I got it because I needed a replacement for my Samsung that I smashed in a double time hurry, it is rugged and functional, not pretty doesn't have every gee whiz feature, and will be replaced as soon as I find a good deal on a used Motorola 720, but it is built like a Tank and get good reception.

I have a box of 3390's I'll never use again.  I can get you a normal cover unless you really like the Tigger cover you have now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top