Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2001 9:38:15 AM EDT
Does anyone have anything fun ot do with strike anywhere matches? I was grocery shopping the other day and bought three boxes. I hadn't seen these in years so I said" What the hell."Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#1]
maybe not so fun, but if you dip the heads in melted wax, they make great survival matches!

for fun stuff, please refer to the "poor man's james bond" manual - AND DON'T BLOW YOUR HEAD OFF!! (or if you do, at least film it!) [:)]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Cut the strike anywhere portion of the tip off and re-arm primers.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Cut all the heads off the matches, take a tennis ball, cut a 1" slit in it.  Take match heads and pour into tennis ball thru slit until packed hard.  To detonate, throw at hard surface.

These are good fun when studied for academic use only.  My friends and I would never have done this back in our 15 yr old retard phase.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Take two of them and tape them together, so the heads are touching.  Take a firecracker, lay the fuse between the two heads, and tape together. Fashion a crude tailfin and insert between the matches and firecracker, opposite of the heads.  now you have a firecracker projectile.  Just throw it at any hard surface, when the heads hit, it set off the firecracker.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cut all the heads off the matches, take a tennis ball, cut a 1" slit in it.  Take match heads and pour into tennis ball thru slit until packed hard.  To detonate, throw at hard surface.

These are good fun when studied for academic use only.  My friends and I would never have done this back in our 15 yr old retard phase.
View Quote

Wow, that's a great idea.  We only dumped the match heads in a glass jar and lit it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Shouldn't these dangerous "Assault Matches" be banned ??

(take a Foodsaver and vacuum seal the small boxes -- they should last a lifetime)
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Drop the matches "tail first" down the barrel of your Daisy Red Ryder.  When you shoot the match out and hit the fence, side of the house, your sister's tight jeaned butt, etc., it pops and burns.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I still have scars from 1964 when I made a "rocket" out of a CO2 cartridge filled with those.  It turned out to be more of a bomb.  The Doc was picking match head out of my chest & arm for an hour, or so it seemed.

Norm
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey TOPCREST, you *******!

I read an article the other day about a guy's dog finding and picking up one of those tennis balls, biting down on it and exploding in the Lab's mouth.

I hope your not leaving them around so kids or animals find them, you dumb ****.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoot them out of a bb gun onto a brick wall. Makes a nice snapping sound when the head hits.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#12]
try this website:

[url]http://mrockets.hypermart.net/build.html[/url]

don't ask me how I found it, but it's been in my favorites for a while...
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Make a "Match Thrower"

Ran out of web space for the images. Sorry
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Norm G:
I still have scars from 1964 when I made a "rocket" out of a CO2 cartridge filled with those.  It turned out to be more of a bomb.  The Doc was picking match head out of my chest & arm for an hour, or so it seemed.

Norm
View Quote

Don't use strike anywhere. I used to do that with regular match heads using good cannon fuse to light it so I could drop it in a pipe and get a safe distance away.  My friend and I could get them to shoot a good 150 yards.  Even tried with stabalizing fins in a 5" PVC pipe. Usually ripped the fins off, but when it flew it was damn cool.

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 12:51:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I had fun playing with matches that I found when I was 9 or so, then Mom and Dad found out, man that's when the fun ended and the pain and screaming began. I'd do the same thing to my kids though, let's just say they made an impression on me to the hazards of kids playing with fire(you get burned in more ways than one).
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 1:15:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I read an article the other day about a guy's dog finding and picking up one of those tennis balls, biting down on it and exploding in the Lab's mouth.

I hope your not leaving them around so kids or animals find them, you dumb ****.
View Quote

kingfish,
Did I leave that teniis ball bomb there?  NO!
Did you even bother to ask me if I leave them lying around?  NO!
Did I ask for your opinion or input?  NO!
Would you please think before you post?  Only you can answer that one.
And oh yeah, was the dog on a leash?  It should've been.  It's irresponsible pet owners like your buddy that makes owning them more and more of a hassle.

Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

kingfish,I usually don't do this, but this is an exception! This was totally uncalled for!

You engaged your mouth (fingers?), without a single bit of thought! If I hear of someone in MD, that has done something dumb, should I jump on you and refer to you in the manner you did to Topcrest?

You could have easily made you point about the danger of these, without singling out anyone and the name calling. My .02
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:55:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#19]
AR...

When you see a guys "hunting buddy", his best friend, his yellow lab, lying in a pool of blood, breathing with difficulty because its jaw has been ripped off by some little f*ck who got careless with a BOMB, you might think differently.  Those tennis ball bombs arent the same as "fused" explosives.  Fused explosives are lit and, 99% of the time explode.  End odf story.

The tennis ball bombs are thrown by kids and when they dont explode, are many times, lost in the woods or wherever.  Just like planting a booby trap on a toy (as an animal would see it).
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#20]
We used to make the CO2 cartridge rockets too. Regular match heads and NO fuse, just held a match to the open end! Living dangerously. Never got hurt enough to make us stop. Fly surprisingly well! Never had a launch pad explosion!

Could grind up match heads (yeah, I know, not real smart, but never got hurt) and put it into a pipe with a capped end. The cap had a small hole drilled in it, that was the touch hole. Put a marble in the pipe and viola, home made mortar ( that's what we called 'em as kids).

Dang, after reading what I just wrote I guess I'm just lucky to be alive!
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#21]
We used to take our personally owned pistols out in the woods or the seashore at night, off post, and sip beer and fire tracers and "exploding" rounds. Much fun, your own fireworks show.
Those exploding bullets only worked about 10% of the time when shot into tree trunks, but the tracers usually worked (99%), and were great. It was cool to bounce them off the trees or water.

(Marine Corps and beer=childhood, right?)
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't have a license to buy matches!  They took away that right because of all of the drive by match flickings in my state.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 2:28:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like we have a few future contestants for the TV  show Jack-Ass.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
AR...

When you see a guys "hunting buddy", his best friend, his yellow lab, lying in a pool of blood, breathing with difficulty because its jaw has been ripped off by some little f*ck who got careless with a BOMB, you might think differently.  Those tennis ball bombs arent the same as "fused" explosives.  Fused explosives are lit and, 99% of the time explode.  End odf story.

The tennis ball bombs are thrown by kids and when they dont explode, are many times, lost in the woods or wherever.  Just like planting a booby trap on a toy (as an animal would see it).
View Quote

Kingfish>> Not trying to flame you, but take it easy. I hear wear your coming from. I have 4 dogs of my own. Last year one of the kids on my street tried pushing one of my dogs into an electric fence. Won't go into details, but called his father, have not seen the kid since.

My point hear is, your taking out your anger ON the members hear. Try using this forum to VENT your anger instead.

Just my .02!
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
AR...

View Quote

SSSSIIIIIGGGGHHHHHHHHH,

kingfish, you are missing the point here. You out-and-out attacked someone, that was not responsibe for your hunting buddies dog's injury!

I have never flamed anyone on this board, but here again you are going to prove the exception. You appearently lack maturity and need to consider your words, before engaging your mouth. I might add, that it appears to be a foul mouth, did it make you feel tough, to assail someone who was innoccent of said situation, with your name-calling? [rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top