Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2004 4:14:37 PM EDT
How can I verify the credentials of a man claiming to be a former member of the US army special forces?

(As of right now I have reason to doubt this claim.)
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How can I verify the credentials of a man claiming to be a former member of the US army special forces?

(As of right now I have to reason to doubt this claim.)

I will call

I have never met a special forces guy that actually told me he was in special forces.

Guys like that just dont brag about it.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
ask to see a copy of his DD214
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

(As of right now I have to reason to doubt this claim.)

Ask him kindly for a photocopy of his DD214.  That should outline all of his positions while in the Army.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Ask him what color the boathouse at Hererford is....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Try asking on SOCNET I know they do alot of verifications there :

www.socnetcentral.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=99cbefb3e10fc19e2d76b39ac6948b92&forumid=38
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

but then, would you trust a guy that does not know how to pronounce it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I work with a man that was a Green Beret; he is open about it with me after I found out when doing security clearance updates.

Seems like after he got to know me he opened up and we chat about the military days often as we can. To add that I was not Army and he loves to tease me about Marines and he is a very upstanding individual.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would a Green Beret know something that I am guessing is a part of a Navy course?

That is a SEAL reference isn't it? Being neither a Green Beret or a SEAL I really dont know.

It is a joke.

On aside, just let the guy talk. If he is fake, he will do himself in. Guy at work bragged about his service, nothing out of the ordinary, then one day talked about when he was at sniper school and was doing 5000 yard head shots on a moving vehicle. Yeah right. Confirmed it by asking if it was with New, M-57 sniper rifle. He said yes, yes that is a sweet rifle he told me. Obviously he never saw the original "Manchurian Candidate" either.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ask him what color the boathouse at Hererford is.... hr

Why would a Green Beret know something that I am guessing is a part of a Navy course?

That is a SEAL reference isn't it? Being neither a Green Beret or a SEAL I really dont know.

It's a reference to the movie Ronin.  If you haven't seen it yet, it's on the must-see list.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it is a line from a very bad movie... given to test if a guy was really SAS.

The funny part is that the guy asking the question (deniro?) did not pronounce the name of the town correctly and refered to the unit in an improper way...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
all save you the trouble his DD214 probably  was destroyed because his missions were so top secret.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#15]
find some reason to mention your may be going to Spring Lake NC for some reason... say someone owes you money there and you may have to go collect.

Ask him if he ahs ever heard of it.

Won't confirm if he is SF, but will tell you if he has ever been stationed at Bragg. If he knows Spring Lake, ask about Troy............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top