Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 2:44:05 PM EDT
I am just wondering because I have a question. I have had some hearing loss since I was very young. I do pretty well in hearing tests but I definetly have some loss. I was wondering what the requirements are in general for a police officer. Would I be allowed to wear hearing aids if they were the ones that go down in my ears? I don't have any now and I have went years without them but I would definetly get a set if it would help me get a job as an officer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Generally speaking, you can have some hearing loss in the high frequency range and still be ok.  This is not the area of speech, so it doesn't cause a communication problem.

Hearing aids?  I've seen some old  time officers have 'em, but I think it raises issues with ADA that would cause departments to shy away from hiring those folks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
No LEOs, just JBTs...................................................
Some of the finest to ever wear the badge, I might add.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Huh?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#6]
My department sees that like vision problems... If it is "correctable" it is acceptable. Hey! I made a funny!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am just wondering because I have a question. I have had some hearing loss since I was very young. I do pretty well in hearing tests but I definetly have some loss. I was wondering what the requirements are in general for a police officer. Would I be allowed to wear hearing aids if they were the ones that go down in my ears? I don't have any now and I have went years without them but I would definetly get a set if it would help me get a job as an officer.

YOU HAVE HAIR LOSS??!!??

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH HAVING HAIR LOSS??

I THOUGHT MOST POLICE OFFICERS CUT THEIR HAIR SHORT ANYWAY.

WHY WOULD IT BE A PROBLEM TO HAVE HAIR LOSS??!!??
Oh.  Never mind.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:32:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I was just worried that I'll go through the test and physical and pass but then fail the hearing part. But then again I don't want to go to my local department and ask or whatever because then I would probably be discriminated against if I do try to join. I guess I will take the test and see what happens./
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I suspect it varies greatly per department.  Unfortunately, I also suspect the smaller and/or less well paying outfits are the one’s most likely to accept you.

Someone in the PD’s human resources department should be able to give you the standards.

OTOH, they might be more likely to give you a pass (or a legitimate waiver, if allowed) if they’ve already started the hiring process with you.

Just as a quick reference point, here’s ATF’s hearing standard for new Special Agents (from their website):

Hearing loss, as measured by an audiometer, must not exceed 30 decibels at 500, 1000, and 2000 HZ levels

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Our departments here are pretty small and don't pay that well. Over in proctorville OH they have an officer with a crippled hand. I am not sure if he got it on the job or what but he is definetly handicapped. My hearing isn't to great but I think I could do fine as an officer. I need to look into it and see how bad it can be and still pass. If it makes a difference noone that I meet thinks I have one at first...they just think I am an asshole lol. Which I am but that isn't the point. I am going to give it a shot and see how it goes. Worse that happens is that I am out a few days of my time for doing the tests. I know for a fact the written test comes first...then the physical test then everything else.

I am 100% confident that I can easily pass both of those. I suspect the better I do the better chances I have even with my bad hearing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
not in MI.

i'm pretty sure its the same across the board. ya gots to have ears dude. i was really worried when i went for my hearing test. i was in a band for 10 years and had constant ringing for 3 years before i took my LE physical.

i had great high tone hearing, low range was ok, mid tones i barely made it.

GET A TEST DONE BEFORE GOING THROUGH ALL THE CRAP.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I have had many tests done. Everytime they tell me my hearing isn't that bad. I need to go to my hearing doctor and see if I can get a copy of my test. And see if I even have a chance. I may have to call about that tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I do not recall taking a hearing test as part of the recruiting & hiring process.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#15]
When I first got into law enforcement in WV as a deputy Hearing was not an issue. But when I transferred into federal law enforcement hearing was an issue they told me that I had some hearing loss in my left ear thanks to all that shooting! But I dont know how bad it was I never looked at my records
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#16]
If you have hearing loss, they put you on the complaints desk.

Kidding aside, unless it's major loss of hearing I don't think it's a issue.
I can't recall ever having a test for hearing in my 20+ years.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#17]
High freq hearing loss was a concern whin I hired on,  I did take a test.  It seems to me they were a lot more concerned about HOW I lost it.  (disease or exposure)  I did see folks fail the hearing test but still get hired because of having something else desirable in a cadet.  2nd languages for example.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:41:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My department sees that like vision problems... If it is "correctable" it is acceptable. Hey! I made a funny!

Thanks Jackie!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top