Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 12:33:22 PM EDT
How do I save an animated Gif to my hard drive, then host it on a photo host and keep it animated?
It was just a still picture last time I tryed it. Help!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You already saved it. The thing is, you have to open them in Explorer or some other WEB browser. If you open them in PaintShop or a similar program, you only get the first frame.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I've always right clicked ---> Save picture as --->....then upload them to Photobucket.com.

When I've posted them they dance or do whatever. I don't think I haven't run into one that didn't.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've always right clicked ---> Save picture as --->....then upload them to Photobucket.com.

When I've posted them they dance or do whatever. I don't think I haven't run into one that didn't.

IE only lets me save it as a Bitmap image. I usually have open up my pics is "Microsoft Picture it" to change it to a Jpeg
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
taggedd
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]
If you right-click on the image, it should save as it is displayed, and as a GIF. JPG files cannot be animated.

Are you sure you're not accidentally changing the format on download? When you click "Save as", make sure the format selection is GIF.

ETA: I just tried it on my avatar, and it works......
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#6]
When I right click and save as. The window opens where you can name the file. Underneath that it says "Save as Type:" To right of that it only gives me an option of downloading it as a Bitmap
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
If the file is being saved as a bitmap, just go to the folder where the picture is and change the .BMP file extension to .gif.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I just did your avatar.

To the side of the box that says "Bitmap" should be a dropdown menu arrow. Hit it. It should give you an "Gif" option. Mine is set at gif with a bitmap option.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If the file is being saved as a bitmap, just go to the folder where the picture is and change the .BMP file extension to .gif.

Or, you can add ".gif" to the filename....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just did your avatar.

To the side of the box that says "Bitmap" should be a dropdown menu arrow. Hit it. It should give you an "Gif" option. Mine is set at gif with a bitmap option.

I hit the dropdown menu. It only offers a Bitmap option
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not working for me
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn. Now you got me.....

Have you tried copying the image and pasting it into your GIF editor? (It's all I can think of right now...)
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not working for me

Geez, for the millionth time...close all IE windows, right click the IE icon on the desktop, choose properties, Under 'Temp Internet Files' choose delete files. Reopen webpage and you should get the proper ext.

Glad to help.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not working for me

Geez, for the millionth time...close all IE windows, right click the IE icon on the desktop, choose properties, Under 'Temp Internet Files' choose delete files. Reopen webpage and you should get the proper ext.

Glad to help.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

I closed the windows down. Then right clicked on the icon and went to properties. There is no "Temp Internet Files" option
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#15]
What version of windows and IE are you running?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What version of windows and IE are you running?

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Windows XP
Version 6.0
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok, in an IE window choose Tools, Internet Options, middle of that 'window' Temporary Internet Files, click middle button 'Delete Files'.

How's that work for ya'?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ok, in an IE window choose Tools, Internet Options, middle of that 'window' Temporary Internet Files, click middle button 'Delete Files'.

How's that work for ya'?

ByteTheBullet  (-:

What he said
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I closed the windows down. Then right clicked on the icon and went to properties. There is no "Temp Internet Files" option

Regarding this, I bet your destop icon has a little arrow in the lower left corner...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

How's that work for ya'?

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Just did that and it still only offers the Bitmap option
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Can you send me the link to this elusive gif? I will try it and see what I get.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How's that work for ya'?

ByteTheBullet  (-:

Just did that and it still only offers the Bitmap option

Oh, did you close all the IE windows after clearing the cache?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Saving a .JPEG image as a .BMP file is known and document bug in MS IE any verision, and MS has not fixed the problem. Try using another browser such a Opera, Mozilla, Netscrape etc. I'm using Opera at the moment and I can save .GIF files.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Can you send me the link to this elusive gif? I will try it and see what I get.

ByteTheBullet  (-:

IM coming your way
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Got the IM, got the GIFS...woohoo, uhem, sorry. Reply IM sent.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top