Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 12:01:25 PM EDT
A few friends and I were talking about it the other day. We know quite a few people, in many area's and many socio and economic groups. Yet not one of us knows someone, or even someone that knows some one that gets to rate the tv shows we watch.
out of all of arfcom, surley there must be one here that does it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I filled out a two week Nielsen diary once.  I think they paid me $10 for my trouble.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I've done it. I think I did it for a week, and they sent me $5 for it. Just doin' my part to help Fox News kick everyone else's ass.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I did it for about 2 1/2 years.   This was about 6-7 years ago.  During that time, I went through a divorce, living alone, living with  roomates and thn a girlfriend.  They saw just about all demographics.  I got picked by some guy walking door to door.  

Nielson used a dialer box that compiled the data from all TV's, VCR's and game systems.  The dialer box would dial in the data around 2AM - 5AM every night.  The box was hooked up to the TV's etc by wires soldered directly into the tuners.  Kind of sucked when you wanted to move a TV.  The wires to each room were run under the carpet.  It paid a little money every now and then.  No diary's to fill out.

I don't know if they use the same methods to monitor what your watching now or not.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I filled out a two week Nielsen diary once.  I think they paid me $10 for my trouble.

Me too - one time only, though I only got $5.  They sent it in cash - crisp $1 bills.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too - one time only, though I only got $5.  They sent it in cash - crisp $1 bills.

Did you claim that on you income tax that year?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out the name!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
They called me for a short term monitoring once. I told them I didn't have a TV (I didn't and don't). The caller was somewhat surprised. I guess that doesn't happen very often.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Did it for radio once. I think it was for a month. Probably for sweeps, but I don't know if radio stations have sweeps months.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I've done it three times in the last 15 years. Twice I filled out the diaries and once was a box that hooked up to the TV and a phone line.

Funny thing is none of the shows we were watching seemed to make the cut.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I did it once also. Filled in the little questionaire and sent it in. They gave $5 for my troubles. The company picks new people everyweek for their surveys.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#11]
With the help of some if not most cable companies they can monitire what you watch through the cable box.

2 + 2 = 5
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#13]
They called last week to get me to do this. I said thanks but no thanks and the lady couldn't believe it. They called three more times after that still trying to talk me into it. What up with that?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks. Proves they aren't a myth then. Always wondered, and figured it was the same set of families each time. Guess they must have a bit of both.
Still amazes me that a show has a huge following, but doesn't get good ratings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top