Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2004 11:24:12 AM EDT
Stopped into WallyWorld Sat. night to get a couple things. CD for daughter's b-day and an air filter for the car.

Had to pick up another box of .30-06 to finish sighting in the rifle before elk season. Lingered a bit too long in the sporting goods dept. I started looking at the guns.

Damn if they didn't have some marked down for clearance. Weatherby Vanguards. Two wood stocked, one in .270 the other in -06, and one with synthetic stock in .30-06. $400 for wood, $300 for the synthetic stocked gun w/matte blued finish.

Went back yesterday morning and got the synthetic stocked .30-06. There goes the money I was saving for a no-ban CAR-15. Bastards.

And now I have to sight in a new rifle before the 16th.

Oh well. At least the rifle is still a "black rifle."
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Last time I was at wal-mart, my friend wanted a .22 and it took more then 30 fucking minutes for someone in that dept to come to that area even after numerous employees said they would find someone who works that area.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Wal-Mart : unhappy customers

as

Glock : KB's

Yes, they happen, but there's such a volume that it's bound to happen.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#3]
There were three on duty when I stopped in Sunday morning. One was on break when we started the ordeal.

The gal did have to call twice for management to approve the sale. Finally shanghaied the Manager when he showed up at the paint counter. Then had two assistants show up too. Must be an all or nothing kind of thing.

Transaction went smoothly despite Wally's weird store policies added in.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#4]
That Vanguard is heavy but accurate.  I didn't care for the safety.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#5]
A gun from Wal-Mart, eh?

Not something I really want to venture into...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I just did my shopping at wal mart...it went fine and the employees were ok.

What I dont get is the fucking greeter. Their SOLE PURPOSE OF BEING AT THEIR SHIT JOB IS TO GREET YOU and I've only seen one do that.

Am I missing something? I thought they were like the wal-mart morale department
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#7]
My buddy and I went to Wal-mart last weekend to get an 870 for him.  The people were real knolegeable and helpful.  Turnes out he got a synthetic stocked 870 express for the same price as the wood stock version.  It did take a while to get the guns from "the back" but we had nothing better to do on a Friday afternoon.   All in all it went well.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That Vanguard is heavy but accurate.  I didn't care for the safety.

I don't mind the weight so much.

The synthetic stocked rifle is a bit front heavy. But the butt pad is screwed on and this winter I'll glue in some old wheel weights to balance it out and add that expandable foam in the cavaity do deaden out the hollow sound.

The trigger will get some work too. "Adjusts down to 3 lbs." Sure is a heavy, gritty 3#. I'll tear it apart this winter too. Fix it up real good. Then replace it with a Timney or something

I do like the 24" barrel. Most -06's have 22" barrels.

I'm pretty sure I'll like it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I only bought ammo there once.  It was on the shelf (not behind the counter) in the sporting goods section.  Since there was nobody around, I took it to the front checkout stands.  The face on the gal that was going to ring me up was priceless.  She was falling all over herself to figure out a reason to not ring up the sale.  Finally a manager type came over and basically told her to STFU and ring me up.

I don't understand what the prob is with those folks.

As for the greater thing, I believe they are supposed to help watch for shoplifters and make people check ing bags they bring in etc.  They never "great" anyone like they do on the commercials.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Guns from Wal-Mart? Just remember that you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#11]
That trigger is easily adjustable.  The one on my 7mm Mag wasn't bad.  I knocked it down almost as low as it would go.

My friend has a 300 Wby Mag that is a real straight shooter.

If I were on the market for another rifle, the wood stocked .270 would be very appealing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just did my shopping at wal mart...it went fine and the employees were ok.

What I dont get is the fucking greeter. Their SOLE PURPOSE OF BEING AT THEIR SHIT JOB IS TO GREET YOU and I've only seen one do that.

Am I missing something? I thought they were like the wal-mart morale department

I thought their superficial job is to greet and direct people who ask for department locations, but their real job is to use the phone on the wall next to their post to notify security to watch suspicious looking individuals.  I've seen the old guy at a Wal-Mart near me use get on the phone while looking at two home-boy looking shoppers as if describing them to security.

Could just be coincidence.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That trigger is easily adjustable.  The one on my 7mm Mag wasn't bad.  I knocked it down almost as low as it would go.

My friend has a 300 Wby Mag that is a real straight shooter.

If I were on the market for another rifle, the wood stocked .270 would be very appealing.

I've already got the trigger down as low as it'll go. Frankly after looking closely at it I don't think the adjusting screw is actually long enough to do anything. More like a placebo. Make you think you accomplished something by backing it out.

Okay guys...I've heard the story's for years. I've worked for a FFL dealer for several years to boot.

There is no such thing as "SECONDS" when it comes to firearms.

There is NO firearms maker going to release any gun that isn't safe or satisfactory. Especially in today's litigious climate.

WalMart has low prices solely because they purchase in large volumes. That's it. Nothing more sinister than that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:22:43 PM EDT
[#15]
My favorite person at walmart is the receipt nazi.  A couple of times, I have reached under the shirt like I am grabbing my pistol, only to have them turn around and walk away.  It's fun playing chicken and winning.  

Did they carry your rifle to the front of the store before they handed it to you?  Did the receipt nazi ask to see your receipt?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#16]
HEHEHEHE, I like to buy a rifle there every now and then, and have them walk me to my truck, while they hold the rifle, meanwhile, I have a Kimber .45 in my waistband, all thanks to Oklahomas CWL.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yes, I'm sure there's a such thing as the "Wal-Mart Weatherby Vanguard."  Probably even stamped that way.  :/

Gimme a break.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I'm sure there's a such thing as the "Wal-Mart Weatherby Vanguard."  Probably even stamped that way.  :/

Gimme a break.

Scott

Actually, the Vanguards that Wal Mart sells are made for them only.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:30:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah the asst. manager carried it to the front door. He showed the ticket to the door greeter who did whatever it is they do with it.

I live in a town of about 5000 of the most unfriendly people you'll ever find. Naturally the Wally door greeters aren't much better.

Now the next WalMart over, which we had to use for years, has some of the friendliest people for greeters. Just like the commercials.

Damn 1shott...now I got to get my CHL so I can do the same. That's rich!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:43:16 PM EDT
[#20]
The only difference I have found between a rifle from Walmart and from a dealer is that  when Walmart buys mass quantities, they cut deals with the manufacturer to bring the price down.  This means you may not get the same level of checkering (if any) on the grips or handguards, but that's about it.  It's mostly cosmetic stuff.  If I was to discover a poorly built gun or a "second," I wouldn't be mad at Walmart, I'd be mad at Ruger, Remington, or whoever else built the gun.  When gunshop dealers tell me that Walmart sells unreliable guns, I tell them I wouldn't buy the same gun from them either.  I knew a dealer that bought guns at Walmart that were cheaper than he could order from a distributor.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#21]

About eight years ago I bought a  Savage .22lr Stevens Model #62 from Wal-Mart  for my son.

Was like 79.00.  Anyway the extractor broke about a month after purchase. I took it back to Wal-Mart. They sent the rifle in under warranty and I picked it up at Wal-Mart about two weeks later. No Charge and No hassle.

The gun has shot great ever since then. I even took it out yesterday and put about 500 rounds through her. Fun gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#23]
l pay a little extra for guns at gun shops, because I know of a couple that have good service and their prices are within $10-$15 of WallyWorld. I have ONE gun from WW, a Mossberg 20ga that the GF bought and gave me for a B-day present.

AMMO is a whole 'nother world.

If the gun shops around me would handle something middle-of-the-road priced I'd buy from them. But all the gun shops around me sell 2 kinds of ammo: The absolute most expensive and the absolute cheapest.

I don't make enough money to shoot $17/box .357s or $15/box .45s or $10/box 9MMs, and I've spent good money on good firearms so I'm NOT inclined to shoot the cheap-shitest ammo out of them, either.

I get good results from Winchester white box and you CANNOT beat WallyWorld's prices on .40, .45, 9MM and .223.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#24]
the only reason I went to walmart to buy my 22 was the local shops didnt have anything in my budget at the time.

I only had a 100 dollers and wanted a 22 so I went to walmart and picked up a mossberg Plinkster it inst a 10/22 but I dont care I just wanted a cheap 22 to go plinking with. No problmen as far as service my only complaint was they called in a NIC's Check even thu I have a CCW but it wasnt that big of a deal another  5 minutes of waiting but for the price I dont care. Same with the walking you out to the door if you dont like it dont shop there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:57:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Every so often while in walmart I'd look at the rifles scoping for a  300WMR.  One day while I was looking a black female worker asked it I wanted to see one.  I told her that was ok as they didn't have what I wanted.  So she asked what I was looking for and I said one in a 300WMR.  I was amazed when she said they had one for a special order and the customer didn't want after all and although it was a good while back she didn't remember it ever being sold.  She said let me take a look.  About twenty minutes latter she came back with a Winchester Model 70  for $329.00 and it included a 3X9 Simmons scope.  I didn't have the cash at the time so I put it in layaway.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Stopped into WallyWorld Sat....

Yeah but did you get called a "honkey chicken farmer?"

HAHA!  Couldn't resist, man.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My favorite person at walmart is the receipt nazi.  A couple of times, I have reached under the shirt like I am grabbing my pistol, only to have them turn around and walk away.  It's fun playing chicken and winning.  

Did they carry your rifle to the front of the store before they handed it to you?  Did the receipt nazi ask to see your receipt?

playing chicken and winning
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top