Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/4/2004 2:14:44 AM EDT
What is up with these people?  I went out over the weekend to watch a football game with some friends.  When I got there they were all sitting together and there was this cute brunette sitting with them.  I check her out, scan for the ring, nothing.  Finally I ask one of my buddies about her and they're like "Oh her? She's 'John's' wife".  WTF is that?  Eventually her hubby shows up and he has no ring either.  As they're sitting there together guys are checking her out and I noticed several of them looking for the ring too.

Why on earth would someone get married and not wear a wedding ring?  If you work somewhere dangerous & take it off rather than lose a finger that's one thing, but when out sitting at a bar you had sure better get a ring on that finger.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:18:35 AM EDT
[#1]
My ring is on my key ring. I don't care who's looking. I'm not straying.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:28:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:30:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been happily married 7 years;

I don't wear a ring most of the time at work, and yes, it has caused some awkward moments here and there. Nothing a gentle response and friendly wink couldn't fix, though. :) It is nice to occasionally get a hit that way, I must admit. However, it's a line that will never be crossed.  

In social settings and on administrative-only days, I will wear my ring.  

My reasons? My ring fits correctly, but I find it affects my typing, and where I work I run a marathon on the keyboard everyday. Also, I really don't like reaching into computers with a nice conductor made of gold, as I occasionally work on hardware that has hotswappable components that must be hotswapped. My wife refuses to let me wear my ring on a necklace or my namebadge lanyard. :)
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
My husband does not wear a wedding ring for the fact that he fixes computers for a living. I don't wear one most of the time,since I have incidents where it almost took my finger off. I do wear one in social situations,I have been married 20 years and it does not bother either one of us,and neither would stray.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:44:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I tried to wear one all the time for the wife -- it pleasured her

I can't stand it , I smashed it down on my finger - had to get it rounded out again.

I caught it on a shopping cart handle as I gave it a mighty heave into the return slot, and bruised my finger bad.

During various times in my life when working with my hands  -- they will swell slightly and the ring was tight -- uncomfortable

finally  wife said "she understood" haven't had it on in years --------- but still have it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:52:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Started working the flightline at 19yr's old. Never wore any rings/jewelry----bugs the hell out of me. Married 23yr's---still don't wear any rings/jewelry.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:02:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I would wear my wedding band, but I've gained some weight, and it fits too tight on my finger.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I wore my ring for months after our separation.....

I guess that was wishful thinking.....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:19:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Wife wears hers, I don't wear mine except if we are going out to dinner or something like that. Can't work with it on, not worth losing a finger over and I have friends who have.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:24:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Started working the flightline at 19yr's old. Never wore any rings/jewelry----bugs the hell out of me. Married 23yr's---still don't wear any rings/jewelry.

Same here, working aviation for 20 years, no rings or watches. But I just started wearing my ring again recently.

If you look for a ring on my wifes left hand you won't find one either. That's because it's on her right hand! She's German and over there in Europe they wear their wedding rings on the right hand!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:30:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I almost lost my finger because of a wedding band injury.  A little bit of conective tissue saved it from falling off.  I will never wear one again because of that, not to mention they are uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:33:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I work with my hands.  Tried to wear the ring for the first month, damaged  the ring, nearly lost a finger.  Haven't worn it since, that has been more than 8 years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:42:45 AM EDT
[#13]
been married 11 years nov. took mine off the same day i got married.don't wear jewerley or watches.
guess i picked it up from the army,can't stand to wear it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:45:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Some people just aren't "jewelry people".
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:54:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Ever work around electric powered items with a ring? It can hurt.  Been married over 30 years and have not worn the ring since my wedding day.  If my wife cares she has gotten over it.  It resides in my safety deposit box (with her engagement ring) and she can send me to my maker with it.

The only jewerly I ever wore daily was dog tags.  Still got them, have not worn them since March 26, 1970.  Yeah, I also wear cheap digital watches with countdown features for sailboat racing (the starts require perfect timing).
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:54:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I never wear mine. I don't like jewelry. The wife doesn't have a problem with it.  She trusts me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:07:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:08:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I went years without a ring.

Very dabgerous to wear when you make a living working on cars.

Plus I hate the way they feel.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:11:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I went years without a ring.

Very dabgerous to wear when you make a living working on cars.

Plus I hate the way they feel.

Sgatr15

Dangerous even

But yeah , same here . Working on cars and rings don't mix .
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:12:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What is up with these people?  .

Carpal Tunnel.  I can't wear a watch either.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:17:23 AM EDT
[#21]
It's right there through my nose were it belongs

Nah, my job in telco switching makes it a problem....electronics & conductivity do not mix.  I haven't been able to even get it on my finger in years.  My dear wife plenty of prettys for her fingers & I don't need a ring to remind me I'm hopelessly helplessly happily married to a wonderful lady (quote shamelessly stolen from M*A*S*H*)
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:17:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Wifes cousins are Seventh Day Adventist's.  They don't wear rings.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Some people just aren't "jewelry people".

Bingo!
Same here.
Thought I'm not married, so I don't "have" to wear one anyway.
If I were though, I probably wouldn't wear it. i'm not a jewelry person. Necklaces, rings, watches, etc. It all bugs the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:37:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Been married 25 yrs. Neither my Wife or I wear rings.  Thw Mrs and I trust each other. I work with electronic equipment and it's a safety issue. Besides I don't like jewelry don't even wear a watch.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:38:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Some of our client facilities expressly prohibit the wearing of any jewelry because of safety reasons.  Recently while working at Certainteed in Kansas City, KS I had to have the nurse yank my ring off.  Its easier most of the time not to wear it since being a contractor you have to follow the plant's rules first.   Many facilities I work at have gone to jewelry bans because some idiot stuck his hand in a machine, got the ring caught, and lost his finger.  

I've got fat joints on my fingers so getting the ring on and off is a big pain.  I usually keep it on my key ring or somewhere else on my person.  Same with my watch which is also a no-no to wear in some plants.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:45:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My husband does not wear a wedding ring for the fact that he fixes computers for a living. I don't wear one most of the time,since I have incidents where it almost took my finger off. I do wear one in social situations,I have been married 20 years and it does not bother either one of us,and neither would stray.

His is the stupidest excuse I have ever heard.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:47:58 AM EDT
[#27]

I don't even know where mine is.  I don't wear any jewlery.  Never have.  Married 23 years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
we don't wear ours either. rings bug the shit out of me.

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#29]
My wife and I have alwys worn ours. I work with computers, machinery and chemicals for a living and haven't ever felt the need to take my ring off. All those people making excuses.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:05:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I always wore a wedding band in my bar hopping days.  It was great for picking up chicks that wanted to score without chance of attachment.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:06:01 AM EDT
[#31]
I guess for me the "it's uncomfortable" excuse is kind of lame.  You can't be uncomfortable for a week or two while you get used to it?

I don't wear a watch or any other jewelry either, but if I was married you can bet your bippy that I'd be wearing the ring and so would she.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Married for 19 years and neither the wife nor I own a ring.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:11:59 AM EDT
[#33]
ya know my wife asked me the same thing, why dont you wear your wedding ring?
i responded back and said, how am i supposed to pick up chicks with a wedding ring on
(just kiddin, well she didn't find it so funny either) it is a safety isue with me with work.

meat
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#34]
My wife's brother doesn't wear his, because he works with horses all day, everyday.  Not a good situation for any type of jewelry.

I work with my hands, and tools, alot.  Not a good situation for rings or jewelry.  Plus, evryday I work with firearms....don't need any extra dings there.

That being said, I DO wear mine everyday.  It's just sometime sa big PITA.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:17:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:25:07 AM EDT
[#37]
We stopped wearing ours about 10 yrs ago.  Safety issue for me,  too tight for the Princess after having kids.  We are married, we know it, and act accordingly.  Ops
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#38]
My wife and I have been married for 4 years and She wears hers all the time unless its getting cleaned.  I only wear mine if we go out somewhere nice to eat or something.  I cant stand wearing rings.  And she is fine with that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:39:32 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't wear a ring.  Alomost lost it a few times then I lost a log of weight and it became really loose.  If I wanted to attrack girlies I'd wear the ring.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:43:39 AM EDT
[#40]

Why on earth would someone get married and not wear a wedding ring?  If you work somewhere dangerous & take it off rather than lose a finger that's one thing, but when out sitting at a bar you had sure better get a ring on that finger.

Who put you in charge??  

Husband dosen't even have a ring, he claims they are "gay", and my 3 yr old son demanded I remove mine about a year ago because when he sneak attacks me, he usually gets scratched.  Haven't worn it since.  I had to remove all my jewelry for him, yet I trudge forward.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

His is the stupidest excuse I have ever heard.

Not stupid just handy somebody who does not know any better might believe a ring could damage a computer…

There is no reason to remove rings when working on computers.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:02:10 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I guess for me the "it's uncomfortable" excuse is kind of lame.  You can't be uncomfortable for a week or two while you get used to it?

I don't wear a watch or any other jewelry either, but if I was married you can bet your bippy that I'd be wearing the ring and so would she.

That's your choice.  Rings don't keep people commited or faithful to each other.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:04:10 AM EDT
[#43]
I work with sheet steel, and run a press brake. I never wear a ring. too easy to get cought on something and loose a finger
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#44]
I haven't worn mine in 14 years. I just don't like rings.

My wife wears a band at work and has a nicer one for when we go out, or she is off work.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:17:31 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a stub for a ring finger on my left hand.  It's called tissue evulsion and involves the stripping of the skin from the bone.  Wedding band got caught on some metal shelving when I was falling I grabbed for support.  The ring got caught and stripped the skin from the bone.  Plastic surgeon who saved what was left said it is a common injury and occures often from garage door handles.  Wedding band nice reminder of vows but can't count to a full ten, just 9 and 1/3rd!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I have a stub for a ring finger on my left hand.  It's called tissue evulsion and involves the stripping of the skin from the bone.  Wedding band got caught on some metal shelving when I was falling I grabbed for support.  The ring got caught and stripped the skin from the bone.  Plastic surgeon who saved what was left said it is a common injury and occures often from garage door handles.  Wedding band nice reminder of vows but can't count to a full ten, just 9 and 1/3rd!

I don't wear mine.  There are plenty of stories like Voodoo's...a local cop fell out of a tree stand last year and snagged his ring on a branch on the way down...TORE HIS FINGER COMPLETELY OFF.

I hate rings anyway, so.... it's unsafe, and uncomfortable.  Fuck it.  My wife doesn't care.  She wears hers...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:34:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I feel naked without it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:47:22 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm not a jewelry person, but I do wear my wedding band.  I made sure it fit well and is low profile.  Now I don't even notice I'm wearing it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:47:36 AM EDT
[#49]
I sold my wedding band for mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Why does someone have to wear a wedding band because it annoys you while you're out on the prowl?  Don't like it? Go for the really ugly chicks, they're usually single.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top