Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 8:12:31 PM EDT
...and changed the fuel pump?

I have removed the fuel tank from my 4wd 1997 Tahoe, and have replaced the fuel pump. We have been trying for 5 hours to get the tank back with no luck whatsoever. It seems like the tank is too long - we tried pushing the front of the tank up first, and also the back of the tank.

When the back of the tank is against the rear axle, we still need about 2 inches to get the tank past the front crossmember. Have we gone completely mad or is there some deep dark secret to this? When we removed the tank, we removed the front first and had to use a prybar to get it out.

Jacking the axle up OR down seems to make no difference.

The crossmember is riveted in, not bolted. At this point I am ready to pull the rear axle. The way the front of the tank is constructed precludes "prying" it back in because the tank will begin to buckle.

All the options are what confuse me - in other words if I KNEW that the front had to go in forst for instance, and that the axle had to be down, then at least I wouldn't be going crazy trying all these different methods.

No, I'm not a moron.  I realize that it should be able to fit back in, but this defies logic.  I have pulled engines, transmissions, and crazy hard-to-get-to stuff before, but this takes the prize as the #1 pain in the ass job I've ever done.  ANY help is GREATLY appeciated, as I am ready to set this damn thing on fire.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.chevytalk.org/threads/ubbthreads.php    

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/

http://www.automotiveforums.com/f1108.html

Best I can do. I own one but haven't had to mess with the fuel pump yet. There are a couple of GM Certified mechs on those forums who can help you out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
If you do ever have to change it, follow the advice in the Chevy Forums and cut the floorboard, under the rear seat.  It's a 8x8 inch hump.  If I had done that the job would have taken an hour, if that.

Thanks for the other links, I had Chevy Talk, and the King of Tahoe / Sub forums:
forums.vmag.com/suvsuburban0103/index.html
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you do ever have to change it, follow the advice in the Chevy Forums and cut the floorboard, under the rear seat.  It's a 8x8 inch hump.  If I had done that the job would have taken an hour, if that.

Thanks for the other links, I had Chevy Talk, and the King of Tahoe / Sub forums:
forums.vmag.com/suvsuburban0103/index.html

Do you have a two door or a four door and would it have made a difference?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 4 door.  There must be a different tank in the 2 door.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top