Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2004 5:19:36 PM EDT
I am in the market for a good set, both standard and metric.

Most of my tools are Snap-on, Mac, Proto, Cornwell, and other professional grade tools, but that selection is one I have pieced together over the years a piece here and a few there found at bargain prices at flea markets, pawn shops, etc. Otherwise I don't have the $$ to buy em.

But now I need these, and need em pretty quick to take to Afganistan when I go. Craftsman almost always dissapoints me but I may go that route anyway. Or maybe I will give Husky or Kobalt a try

Who here has some, and are you happy with them? I would like to keep the cost of both sets to under $200.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used/owned many of the brands you stated.  I like them all and they all have their good points.

Seeing as how you want to go affordable, you will want to go either Craftsman or Kobalt.  They both are good tools and maybe by Danaher (MATCO) and Snap-On respectively.  I would go with the craftsman as I have yet to have any major problems with their tools, and they are relatively easy to warranty replace.

Stay away from the Husky.  Since their production has moved to China, their tools have become terrible, and the warranty replacements are damn near impossible to get done.  Took three weeks for them to replace my torque wrench - the store wouldn't replace it and I had to call husky!  Not cool.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
ahhh, I had no clue Husky switched production to China, that rules them out. I have a few older pieces and they seem ok.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Just my 2 cents but I would get 3 sets ,it would be more but if one broke you would have a back up and the 3 sets are for if one breaks you mail it back to the states to a friend and have him go and replace it and mail it back to you that way you have one to use and a back up while one is in the mail.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
ahhh, I had no clue Husky switched production to China, that rules them out. I have a few older pieces and they seem ok.

It's a damn shame too.  I loved their tools - about all I bought, till I discovered Matco - but that's another story.  You might want to check out the Matco or Cornwell truck tools.  You might be able to get a set like the one you are looking for at a little above $200 and they would serve you well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just my 2 cents but I would get 3 sets ,it would be more but if one broke you would have a back up and the 3 sets are for if one breaks you mail it back to the states to a friend and have him go and replace it and mail it back to you that way you have one to use and a back up while one is in the mail.

Only so much room in the connex, thats why I perfer good quality ones I won't need to send back.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:29:54 AM EDT
[#6]
DON'T BUY KOBALT!!!!!!!!!!

OK, sorry for the yelling.  I bought a 3/8" rachet from Lowe's, had to take it back after a year when the gears stripped.  The second one broke after about 3 months.  I took it back and they almost wouldn't give me my money back!  They said I had to have the reciept, this after about a year and half after buying the original one.

I got the manager and she finally relented, but she admonished me that they wouldn't do it again.  I made it clear it wasn't going to happen again since I would never buy another Kobalt tool.

My .02.

Merlin
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:32:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I used some that I got at Walmart but I was only taking on and off a few car doors.

I think the Kobalt at Lowes are the cheapest pricewise you can get
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:28:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
DON'T BUY KOBALT!!!!!!!!!!

OK, sorry for the yelling.  I bought a 3/8" rachet from Lowe's, had to take it back after a year when the gears stripped.  The second one broke after about 3 months.  I took it back and they almost wouldn't give me my money back!  They said I had to have the reciept, this after about a year and half after buying the original one.

I got the manager and she finally relented, but she admonished me that they wouldn't do it again.  I made it clear it wasn't going to happen again since I would never buy another Kobalt tool.

My .02.

Merlin

Is this company policy or that stores? I will have to call.

I may scratch it off my list anyway if you had two break that rapidly....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Is this company policy or that stores? I will have to call.

I may scratch it off my list anyway if you had two break that rapidly....

They told me it was because too many people were bringing in stolen tools for their "lifetime warranty" free replacement, then returning them for the $.

Dunno if it's Lowe's or just that store's policy, don't know and don't care since I won't be buying Kobalt anymore.

Merlin
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Kobalt tools were supposed to be made by Snap-on and sold at Lowes.

From what I remember the kobalt name was owned by J.H. Williams Tool Co. which is owned by Snap-On
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top