Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 2:37:54 PM EDT
I was reading a Boston book and he advises people to get body armor.
It seems pretty expensive to me, what do people recommend?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Best place to ask is in the Brothers of the Shield forum, they mostly have body armor.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally use ABA, American Body Armor.  can't tell you how well it works, Thank God.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If you’re talking about soft body armor, a Second Chance Monarch vest would be my first choice.  

Admittedly, I am seriously angered with Second Chance over their handling of their Zylon vests (sold under their Ultima trademark) – which, incidentally, you absolutely do not want either from them or anyone else.

Keep in mind that soft body armor by itself will not even come close to stopping most rifle rounds.

I’ve never dealt with this firm, but they have decent (but not great) prices for surplused police vests:  www.bulletproofme.com
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The question you have to ask is, "how much is your life worth to you?"

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You may wan to look in the survival forum too.  I used to frequent it and it was an often brought up topic.  I can personally recommend a Safariland Zero-G Gold as the one I wear on duty.  It's a good vest, very comfortable, lightweight, and flexable.  It's a level II vest, but if possible I would recommend a level 3A.  Very pricey though.  A standard military frag vest will usually provide level I or IIA, though theyre not designed for concealment.  Either way, don't expect a soft vest to stop a rifle, but it will stop a pistol, buck shot, or frag.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Level 3A.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, surplus though.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Armor isn't cheap, neither is a coffin. Figure a $500 mid-grade vest, keep it 5 years, replace. $100/year, less than 35cents a day. Cheap, considering what intensive care costs, or a dirt nap.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I wear Under Armour
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top