Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2004 9:45:12 AM EDT
I want a semi auto rifle in .308 that can be used for both patrol and sharpshooter duty.  My choices are FN FAL, HK 91, and Springfield M1A.  Im leaning towards the HK 91 due to the availability of PSG1 upgrades and the HK collapsing stock, but I want to get the rifle with the best comprimise between accuracy, durability, reliability, and maintenance.  This may very well be my next deer stalking rifle also.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:53:51 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds good to me, I also like the M1a and the M1a socom looks really fun.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
A nice DSA FAL will fill the bill.
Good quality, comperably priced, magazines are available, and all sorts of configurations/after market parts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thew SOCOM has gotten some very worthy reviews by many!  In American Rifleman the reviewer stated that the muzzle break was so effective it seemed as though the barrel actually went down when it was fired.  I'm getting one very soon!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]
My personal opinion, I'd go with the FN. A buddy of mine built a heavy barreled version fron a imbel reciever, chrome lined metric steyr heavy barrel, new in wrap metric lower and all the internals. Cost him about $900 to build he says. It's a tad heavy but it's reliable as hell and shoots like a dream. Now I hate my standard barreled one, whoas me I wish I had the $$ to get a heavy barreled one with a built in bipod (full auto too!!) Well, I can dream can't I??
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#5]
nf9648: Be aware that genuine HK parts is going to be very expensive. I bought a HK 1200 meter sight for $100, today I think it was $200.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#6]
simply for simplicity. I say m1a, gonna be the best I think for all around.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Patrol and sharpshooter duty?
Go with the M1A, better sights, damn good accuracy, especially with Black Hills Match.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the M1A and the H&K 91. I would say the M1A, better support on accesories and now good M1A magazines are only $20.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#9]
You planning on putting glass...real glass...on this thing, or not? None of the three is extremely glass-friendly as far as scopes go, although they certainly can be scoped...the AR10 is a better platform for that, I think. For use of an optical sight like the Aimpoint, I would look hard at the M1A Scout. Handy, ready to go with base for the optic in place, good adjustable irons, excellent trigger, even when in stock form, and mags are pretty available. The package is fairly light, handy and fast-handling, especially if used with the 'glass stock. I also think the SOCOM would be fun, but it ain't what I would choose for an all 'round patrol rifle in 7.62x51. JMO
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought about the M1A models, also noticed a stock on impactguns for the M1A's that they call the SOPMOD stock.  A little pricey, but would make a nice evil rifle out of a M1A SOCOM or Scout model.  Im not looking at any big glass for the gun, 4x will be more than enough unless I buy a model with full length barrel.  Ill be shooting at things of a decent size (possibly for coyotes too) so any more magnification for me would be overkill.  Too bad I cant afford a M21.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
nf9648: Be aware that genuine HK parts is going to be very expensive. I bought a HK 1200 meter sight for $100, today I think it was $200.

Just a PSG1 trigger and buttstock would cost upwards of $1000.  I think a M1A is going to be my choice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#13]
HK all the way.  The M1A's are nice, but you can't scope them as relieably as the HK's.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want a really nice 308 that will do right, get a Fulton Armory M1A. They are hand built with love out of all GI parts and will give you no problems.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I would go with a HK91 or FAL - be sure to check out the forums in THE ARMORY re: these rifles!

I dont think Ive ever been to the armory section of this forum, that wouldve helped a lot about 3 hours ago before I made this thread...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#17]
The AR-10 is a far better rifle than any of those...

So unless those are the only 3 authorized, GET AN AR-10
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I have to push the HK91 because it is my favorite rifle. Simple, reliable, accurate, and mean.
The mags are cheap now, I bought 6 factory 20 round mags for $24. The Claw mount allows you to take scopes on and off with no change. The PSG-1 Trigger is nice...but spendy $430 in my last HK price list. I have a Williams Set trigger which lets off at 2 pounds and it was $185 for the trigger job.
The HK91 is my deer hunting rifle. I have a ARMS scope mount and a Leupold 3X9. What I love about a HK is that rain, snow, mud it will never jam...and that is important to me for deer hunting.

FAL is another good choice. Cheap mags, and it is not too spendy $1100 to $1500 for a DSA. I have a DSA 16" carbine and it is a very nice rifle and shoots great. My Father also has a DSA with a 3X9 Trijicon Scope for Deer Hunting.

I have a M1A and I am not a fan. It shoots good and has a good trigger. But it is heavy and really long. I do not like the over size wood stock, with a scope it needs a cheek rest.
I have a slight dislike for the M1A because it did jam on me when I was deer hunting

I don't have a AR-10 yet. I think I am going to get a DPMS LR.308 18" The are well built and cost a lot less then a Armalite AR10.

But trust me the HK 91 is a great deer rifle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A nice DSA FAL will fill the bill.
Good quality, comperably priced, magazines are available, and all sorts of configurations/after market parts.

+1
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I thought about the M1A models, also noticed a stock on impactguns for the M1A's that they call the SOPMOD stock.  A little pricey, but would make a nice evil rifle out of a M1A SOCOM or Scout model.  Im not looking at any big glass for the gun, 4x will be more than enough unless I buy a model with full length barrel.  Ill be shooting at things of a decent size (possibly for coyotes too) so any more magnification for me would be overkill.  Too bad I cant afford a M21.

Choate is bringing back their folding stock for the M1A, so with a Socom, you would have a very small and useful .308. Many have had problems with the recent Springfield cast internal parts, so you might want to look into getting a USGI bolt and trigger group if you go the M1A route.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#21]
M            1               A
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
M            1               A

+1
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Ive visited about 5 forums on this topicand have decided to buy all 3, not at the same time of course.  The first will be the HK, although not really a HK.  Impactguns.com sells a PTR-91 that is a american made HK91, and supposedly it is the best clone out there, at a good price too.  It is in my budget to make it here in time for deer season to start, otherwise Ill be stuck with the WASR-10 this winter.  Thanks all for the input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top