Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2004 7:25:50 AM EDT
From The High Road.com

Tim Leatherman endorses Kerry. http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/040914/145916_1.html

No more Leatherman products for me, thank you.

Go to www.leatherman.com and share your opinion.
Phone: (503) 253-7826
Toll Free: (800) 847-8665
Fax: (503) 253-7830
Warranty E-mail:
[email protected]
General E-mail:
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Dupe - but good advice
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]
No.

What am I supposed to do, do a background check on every product I ever buy to make sure that the person/company/entity that made it has the exact same political ideals as me?

Guarantee half the stuff in your house was made in Communist China.

This "if you like ______ then I don't like you" crap is getting stupid. What is this , Third Grade?

Just ate a nice big pile of FRENCH Fries smothered with HEINZ Ketchup for lunch.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No.

What am I supposed to do, do a background check on every product I ever buy to make sure that the person/company/entity that made it has the exact same political ideals as me?

This "if you like ______ then I don't like you" crap is getting stupid. What is this , Third Grade?

Just ate a nice big pile of FRENCH Fries smothered with HEINZ Ketchup for lunch.

QFT +++++++++
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:59:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Some of my closest friends plan on voting for Kerry. Am I supposed to 'boycott' them too?

"Think exactly like me, or I'll shun you!"
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:01:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Joan Keller, president, Le Travel Store (San Diego, CA)

Le American supporting kerry and wishing to be more french. In CA no less... Shocking
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Some of my closest friends plan on voting for Kerry. Am I supposed to 'boycott' them too?

Tim Leatherman isn't my friend.
He is a businessman who has decided to endorse Kerry.
I'll take my money elsewhere (please note I have a leatherman wave on my belt right now)
I'll continue to use it, but i won't buy another leatherman again.  I  have owned probably 8 leathermans since they first came out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I have two Leathermans - both issued from the mil.  One is silver, the other black.  Fortunately, I didn't pay for them.

And I won't ever pay for one.  Not after the Hanoi Kerry endorsement.  We each do what we can.

[I've heard - and am checking into this - that the Gerber is a much stronger tool (pliers).]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#11]
My current Leatherman is my last Leatherman.  While some posters are decrying a de-facto boycott of Leatherman products with a "WTF am I supposed to do? Screen all my purchases/friends?" rationale, the fact is that Leatherman is a perfect target for a boycott due to their pervasiveness, easy identification, and good selection of alternative products.

It's damn-near impossible to "screen" ALL our purchases as others have pointed out.  However, Leatherman is a perfect  target for the above reasons.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#12]
i'll continue to get letherman

i'll never eat/ buy hienze products again(they be rich enough)
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I have two of the Gerber multi tools.  I like the Gerber brand stuff.(except babyfood, wise asses!)
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I too have many of Tim Leatherman's tools, I've got  2 Waves, 1 PSTII, 2 PSTs, 2 Mini-tools, 1 Crunch, 1 Supertool in my collection. But no more.

Cascade Designs, Inc. is also in this, they have the following product lines:
MSR®
Therm-a-Rest®
Platypus®
SealLine®
Tracks®
Camp K-9
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:24:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If they hunt or have guns you should set them straight, by the way I have no friends voting for cari.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:28:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Gerber tools are MUCH better, they also make alot of multi-tools for the military EOD community.

We're opening up a larger shop and several of the companies on the above list (Leatherman, Outdoor Research and Cascade Designes) have been lobbying to get floor space.  Rest assured, they will not (reguardless of how cute the OR saleswoman is, how much beer she buys me or how much she flirts!).  

In fact, soon MOST of the  tactical gear we will be selling will be MADE IN AMERICA and by people who DO NOT support Kerry..  We're not there yet, but wait until December.

Thanks for the Gerber quality info.  Good for you guys with the Made in America attitude.

EDIT: That kills me.  Folks want to sell items in a gun shop, but will support Kerry who is so adamantly against guns

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
From The High Road.com

Warranty E-mail:
[email protected]
General E-mail:
[email protected]

Thanks for the info , I'm in the market for a multi-tool and there's no way in hell I will buy a leatherman now. Looks like I'll pick up one of the nice Gerbers  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll keep mine just for the sentimental value; the black one has been around...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Gerber tools are MUCH better, they also make alot of multi-tools for the military EOD community.

I looked yesterday at my LMB for that EOD tool, but they didn't have it.  I'd like to check it out.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I doubt that everyone who backs Kerry does so because of the gun issue. I also don't see the benfit behind getting all worked up over someone who doesn't like guns. On the contrary, at least at the neighborhood level, it can be an opportunity to "break the ice" & let someone experience 1st-hand what the shooting hobby is all about. I don't disagree w/ everything Kerry believes in, but I happen disagree w/ him on specific issues which I value most, gun laws being chief among them. If he broke that mold, I'd scritinize him more concertedly.

My wife is very pro-gun, but she doesn't like GWB. Think I should divorce her? You see, she's a RN, & the Bush admin. supported a law that would've removed the OT pay labor law for RN's. This, in an industry that is already experiencing a nursing shortage, & where conditions are deleterious to the point of putting an RN's license in jeopardy due to the great potential for unintentional errors (owed to high patient-staff ratios, mandatory OT, etc.). Luckily, it didn't pass, but she was pissed nonetheless. As it stands, she's probably not going to vote, as she doesn't like either of them, & doesn't see that she has any real choice.

Bush has my vote, but, IMO, he's shown to be less than friendly towards the middle-class for supporting such labor laws. Support for technical sector offshoring, to the point that it could jeopardize the long-term outlook for certain professional sectors - computer science currently being chief among them - won't do this country any good if the practice doesn't abate. I'm no longer a believer in the "leadership" of the business executive class; short-term thinking &, to hell w/ the future. Letting companies have their cake (offshore engineering) & eat it too (no import taxes paid on foreign-produced goods) is boolsh!t. The legislature is no less guilty on this issue, but Bush could put it to them if he chose.

Other than possibly the war, this is an area where Kerry has his greatest #'s of supporters, or at least, potential swing votes. If it resonates strongly enough, it could lose him the election, & it's probably his greatest weakness, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Nope. Non-union since she's been in the field for +14 years now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#24]
It's my money and I'll spend it how and where I want.
To me, that means no more leathermans.
I hope leatherman goes under.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
i'll continue to get letherman

Remember the current Mrs John Kerry, was married to a John Heinz, who was killed in a plane crash, and was very pro-Republican and pro-gun. He was the real Heinz, not this witch who acquired the Heinz name by MARRIAGE into the Heinz family.

That is your proragative if you wish to support a man who has picture taken with the likes of zealot anti-gunners such as Sens Diane Feinstein, Chuck Schumer, & Ted Kennedy.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought 1000 micro tools and had them engraved with the company name as a give away to our employees as a surprise gift.  Next time it will Gerber that gets my business.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#28]
This is what I love about America. Everyone can make their own choices [no sarcasm intended].

My wife an I had this discussion after the debates and W will get my vote because of 'my' priorities.

1. Who will strike harder and faster at our enemies (since we can expect more trouble in the short term)?

2. Who will be less encumbered by foreign influence (UN)?

3. As a backup plan: who is more likely to allow avg. citizens to remain armed?

There are issues that I don't like W's stance on (border secutity first and foremost), but for right now these three are most important to my children and they trump everything else. Medicare, employment law, social security, etc. are very important issues and once we don't have to worry daily about an attack on our soil they will get more weight in my decisions.

What if clinton had taken UBL's declaration of war and first attacks more seriously in the 90's? What if carter had punked iran in '79? Presidents DO have major influence over things.

We all know this here, but our .gov aint perfect, but its the best thing out there and we can change what we don't like if we try.

Quoted:
I doubt that everyone who backs Kerry does so because of the gun issue. I also don't see the benfit behind getting all worked up over someone who doesn't like guns. On the contrary, at least at the neighborhood level, it can be an opportunity to "break the ice" & let someone experience 1st-hand what the shooting hobby is all about. I don't disagree w/ everything Kerry believes in, but I happen disagree w/ him on specific issues which I value most, gun laws being chief among them. If he broke that mold, I'd scritinize him more concertedly.

My wife is very pro-gun, but she doesn't like GWB. Think I should divorce her? You see, she's a RN, & the Bush admin. supported a law that would've removed the OT pay labor law for RN's. This, in an industry that is already experiencing a nursing shortage, & where conditions are deleterious to the point of putting an RN's license in jeopardy due to the great potential for unintentional errors (owed to high patient-staff ratios, mandatory OT, etc.). Luckily, it didn't pass, but she was pissed nonetheless. As it stands, she's probably not going to vote, as she doesn't like either of them, & doesn't see that she has any real choice.

Bush has my vote, but, IMO, he's shown to be less than friendly towards the middle-class for supporting such labor laws. Support for technical sector offshoring, to the point that it could jeopardize the long-term outlook for certain professional sectors - computer science currently being chief among them - won't do this country any good if the practice doesn't abate. I'm no longer a believer in the "leadership" of the business executive class; short-term thinking &, to hell w/ the future. Letting companies have their cake (offshore engineering) & eat it too (no import taxes paid on foreign-produced goods) is boolsh!t. The legislature is no less guilty on this issue, but Bush could put it to them if he chose.

Other than possibly the war, this is an area where Kerry has his greatest #'s of supporters, or at least, potential swing votes. If it resonates strongly enough, it could lose him the election, & it's probably his greatest weakness, IMO.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I think it is silly that corporations are "endorsing" a candidate.

I can understand governors endorsing a candidate for a state
then unions started
now companies themselves are

Welcome to Pan Galactic Commerce

There's hitting the nail on the head.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#30]
brasspile: The last I remember, the USA is still a free country. Those folks can endorse whomever they feel like.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:37:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
No.

No you fucker.  It's voting with the almighty dollar.

Nuff said.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#34]
brasspile: Yep, you're right. Government regulations has evolved to the point where the businesses have to get into politics in order to protect their interests.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Nuff said.

Very civilized ... thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nuff said.

You expected civilized after the implications in your post? What a dumbass.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

HA HA, you hang out with a bunch of hippies!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
From The High Road.com

Warranty E-mail:
[email protected]
General E-mail:
[email protected]

That's fucking ridiculous. I'm supposed to boycott a product because the CEO/Owner ACTUALLY HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN ME?

Jesus christ, man, it's not like he threw guns into the Hudson... He just has an opinion.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
You expected civilized after the implications in your post? hat

Oh OK I'll play ... No YOU'RE a dumbass ... poopyhead
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From The High Road.com

Warranty E-mail:
[email protected]
General E-mail:
[email protected]

That's fucking ridiculous. I'm supposed to boycott a product because the CEO/Owner ACTUALLY HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN ME?

Jesus christ, man, it's not like he threw guns into the Hudson... He just has an opinion.

And as has been pointed out here, he has every right to voice his opinion.  
However, he chose to voice it in the name of his company which makes them fair game.
He has his opinion and I have mine and I'll vote with my dollars.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh OK I'll play ... No YOU'RE a dumbass ... poopyhead

hahaha whatever fuckstain.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quite a shame.
IMO, Gerber multi-tools suck ass.

Never had a tool hold up to working on tanks like my Super-Tool.  I broke most of the tools off two Gerbers over a period of one year, and they NEVER fixed them, despite months of shipping back and forth.  After finally giving up on them, I bought a Super-Tool shortly after they came out and only broke one tool off of it in the rest of my tour of duty.  I sent it to them, and they had it back to me in two weeks with a "thank you for buying from us" letter.

Kinda sucks that it turns out their CEO is a "super-TOOL".  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Respectfully,

The first thing that happens when you socialize medicine is to slash the staff down to the absolute bare minimum because the system simply can't afford it.  She may think she has seniority, but she would be the first to go in favor of lower-paid recent graduates.  It isn't limited to support staff either:  in 1992, the Ontario gov't slashed the number of medical school spots by 50%.  The less physicians you have, the less 'expense' they generate by ordering tests.  While there is a lot that needs to be done to fix the nursing shortage, she is doing herself a disservice by not voting for Bush.  I'm a physician and my wife is a nurse as well.  I've seen and heard it all myself.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
No.

I would rather support a Communist state than an American who supports a traitor.  Have you ever heard of voting with your money?  Most of the companes listed have their products made in one of the low labor cost Asian nations.

I'm not as extreme as some, I'm not going to bang my Leatherman up and send it in with a nastygram (I allready sent the nastygram).  I'm going to take my couple of old leathermans and put them in with the BOB gear, or in a tool box.  When there is a choice I will buy something else (I like SOG tools almost as much.) As far as Columbia goes, I have lots of them.  I'm not going to buy anymore.  Amgellan clothes from Academy are sust as good, and cost about a third as much.  When a resteraunt only has Heinz products (very common) I'm not going to go without, but I won't have them in my home.  I have a long list of Franch companies I do not buy from.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Master Blaster...

Ask your wife, and her coworkers, if socialized medicine would be better for them.  That's where it will go if Kerry is elected.

Tommy...

Better you than me, I can't stand talking to them.  I have a few "aquatances" that are liberal.  The more intleigent ones I enjoy debates with.  The idiots I just can't stand to talk with.  I have had to leave a dinner because the host wouldn't stop spouting anti Bush stuff, and I didn't want to be rude.  I personally have darn few people I concider friends, and they all have similar hobbies, personal histories, and levels of rational to me.  This by nature makes them either Libertarians in philosophy and Bush supporters by default.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
1. Who will strike harder and faster at our enemies (since we can expect more trouble in the short term)?

2. Who will be less encumbered by foreign influence (UN)?

3. As a backup plan: who is more likely to allow avg. citizens to remain armed?

Exactly!  These are the three, highest priority reasons I will vote for Bush.  Everything else pales in relation to our safety and security.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:59:32 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:i'll continue to get letherman

You've got that exactly opposite.  Heinz Corporation has endorsed GWB for president.  Leatherman has endorsed Kerry.  Terresa has nothing to do with the Heinz Corporation other then her last name and a relatively small stock holding.

I did not know that but it is really good to hear because I love Heinz Ketchup best.

I don't own a leatherman tool and now I never will. Thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Gotta answer before it gets locked with those vicious "Poopyhead" remarks.

Look, Ive said this when it pertains to actors and I will say SAME RULES APPLY TO CORPORATIONS. If you want to PUBLICLY support your choice for President, thats fine. but DO NOT be surprised when people who differ in their opinions lash back. Whether it is not buying movie tickets or CD's or products that you manufacture.

What people are forgetting is that you act upon your gut feelings, there are consequences.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nuff said.

+1 .............more du trolls I see
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#50]
BTT.

BTW, anyone that wants to get rid of their Leatherman, I need a multi-tool. Will pay for shipping.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top