Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2004 7:15:06 AM EDT
I will be moving into a new apartment the end of this month, and was considering getting rid of my land line, and just using my cell phone.  Any of you guys do this?  I don't use my land line all that much, and would rather have the $45/month for other stuff.  Any disadvantages that I'm over looking?  Any of you guys that just have cell phone ever get tele-marketing calls?  

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Its common with the college kids I know. Even those that live off campus.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:16:28 AM EDT
[#2]
you don't need a phone line for dsl, so if you have a good rate plane, just use the cell
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#3]
My g.f and I live together, we each have cell phones.

We have two lines with a VoIP service over our broadband cable.  The only reason we have a landline is for 911.

Billing is much easier and most ppl call my cell, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Its common with the college kids I know. Even those that live off campus.

VERY true! I only have a land line because it comes with my DSL package with sprint...That land line money can be saved or used to upgrade the minutes on your cell phone....
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I just have a cell in my home.  We got the house in may and I was only useing my cell so me and the misses decided it doesn't make sence to get a land line until the kid gets older.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I only have cell phones for the family. I didn't see the need for a land line until I got an alarm system for the house.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I had only a cell phone for two years, in fact I just got my land line hooked up and cell phone turned off last month.

The problem with only having a cell phone is of course no internet conection unless you go cable.  Also when you use your cell as the primary phone, you must charge constantly, every other day in our situation.  Lastly we felt as if we were getting shafted every month by cingular, true we would go over our minutes occasssionally, but every bill we got was twice as much as what the basic bill was supposed to be.

As far as being able to communicate, I did love the portablity of the cell.

I now have only a land line and interenet, and could not be happier.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:23:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Ditched the land line in 2000. I have a cell phone for voice and cable for internet and TV.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:37:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been cell-only for a while. The voice quality is a bit more variable, but I think it's worth it to ditch the land line. Be sure you have spare batteries in case a battery goes bad, and keep it charged.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been cell only for a couple of years.  Folks can always get in touch with me.  I use cable for internet so there is no use for a phone line.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I hate cell phones.  Wife got me an extra phone for free when she signed up for her service. Will have been sitting in the kitchen unused for two years now this upcoming November.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:48:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Cell only. Cable for internet and Dish for cable (That sounds kionda hokey)
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#13]
i tried just using a cell for a couple of months, didn't like it, mainly b/c my cell gets poor reception in my apartment.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#14]
100% CELL SINCE  1999 ..

internet and TV are provided by cable.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Yep, just cell phone.  Well, the house has a land line but it is only used by my roommate.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been thinking of doing the same thing.  I think even if you don't have phone service, 911 will still work from your land line.

I currently have cell, land line with a bunch of options, DSL and Dish network. I'm thinking of changing to cable for the tv & computer and ditching the land line.  Nextel has a free incoming minutes plan that should worlk great for this.

The only thing I worry about is that you'd now have to give your cell # to your credit cards & such.  When they sell that number off, you're going to be getting solicitation calls all day at work.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Cell only x2 years.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#18]
me too, cell only for 1.75 years, cable modem for internet access, who needs a land line? Not me!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got cell for my voice com and cable modem for my internet and e-mail.  A land line is a waste, when you consider how cheap a cell is and then add in all the features (protection from telemarketers, free voice mail and long distance, the convenience of checking VM anywhere) a land line makes no sense.  I got tired of coming home and sitting through 15 minutes of adds and hang-ups on my answering machine.  I'll never have a land line again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Ditched the land line in 2000. I have a cell phone for voice and cable for internet and TV.

+1

2000 was a good year!  (Except for my Uncle)

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I use my cell as my primary and only have a land line because of DSL.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:15:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The only thing I worry about is that you'd now have to give your cell # to your credit cards & such.  When they sell that number off, you're going to be getting solicitation calls all day at work.

That's what I'm worried about.  They don't call my landline, except for the occasional service call, but I loath the idea of getting anything other than personal calls on my cell.  

Can I just tell them that I don't have a phone?  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Just a cell phone. Have cable modem for internet.

Never saw a need for a cell phone. Didn't have much use for one. If I was away from a phone, though. But once I went back to school full time at night, still working during the day full time, I was never home. Only time I could make calls or return calls was during the weekend.

Bought a cell phone and ditched the land line. Very few people have the number so it's still used very litle but it is extremely nice to have every once in a while.

Only complaint is that the line quality can be questionable every once in a while.

edited to add. Most of the time I keep mine off. I'll power it on once in a while to check messages to see if anyone called, but my time is my own and I hate interuptions.

I hate to see people walking around telling someone else how bored they are or exactly what they are doing at any particular moment, especially in grocery stores trying to compile a list of things they need, lol, "do we need ???, can you check?"
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I've got cell for my voice com and cable modem for my internet and e-mail.  A land line is a waste, when you consider how cheap a cell is and then add in all the features (protection from telemarketers, free voice mail and long distance, the convenience of checking VM anywhere) a land line makes no sense.  I got tired of coming home and sitting through 15 minutes of adds and hang-ups on my answering machine.  I'll never have a land line again.

How do you get that?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you get that?

+1...I'm interested even more now...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#26]
When a telemarketer calls my cell phone of it pisses me off.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Where I live I have real bad cell service.  I eather have to stand in the kitchen corner by the stove or in the livingroom by the front door to even get a connection.  If I move I drop the call.  I have to have a land line.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Cell only since 2000, DirecTV for TV, and a digital dedicated radio link for internet. I'm thinking about swtiching to DSL, now that it's available in my area.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:14:21 PM EDT
[#29]
We have a land line for incoming and local calls-no long distance service.  For LD we use the cell phones.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#31]
We don't pay for cable, have a land line and use it for local calls and DSL. Long distance is taken care of using my father-in-laws cell phone. (free long distance on weekends)
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do you get that?

IIRC, it is illegal to make unsolicited
calls to a cellular phone. Therefore, when
I get a telemarketer, I tell them it is a
cellphone. They always apologize
profusely and take my name off the list.

Of course, I'm not willing to go through
the hassle, so I just don't answer my cell
if I don't know who the caller is...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Both.

Mobile for the wife, mobile for myself, plus a land line.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#34]
As a service business we seem to have more and more customers using cell phones as contact points as opposed to home phones. Problem is we FILE using home phone numbers. Customers will ONLY give us cell numbers so what happens is that when they are in a bad reception area or if they want us to pull up a file on them and they change numbers (which happens more often than you think) then THEY GET MAD AT US when we cannot find their file. When we locate the file and tell them "Oh it is under the phone number of (987) 654-3210" They get all angry and say "WELL THATS MY OLD CELL NUMBER!!!" WTF do they expect... thats what they gave us.

Even though our house phone usage has decreased DRAMATICALLY with the introduction of the cell phones, there are too many important reasons to keep the land lines around.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

IIRC, it is illegal to make unsolicited
calls to a cellular phone. Therefore, when
I get a telemarketer, I tell them it is a
cellphone. They always apologize
profusely and take my name off the list.

Of course, I'm not willing to go through
the hassle, so I just don't answer my cell
if I don't know who the caller is...

Unfortunately I don't have that luxury.  I give my cell phone # out all the time for work, and lots of people call it from numbers I don't know.  I suppose I could just let everyone go to voicemail, but that gets annoying.  I need to look like I'm reachable.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#36]
no option for sat phone and cell phone only...  but that would be me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I dropped my land line last year.  My wireless phone has excellent coverage, so it hasn't been a problem.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Cell phone only for me for the last 5 months. When we moved into a new house I did not want it setup because we did not have the extra money, we put it towards cable internet and I have not been happier. My friends, family, and work all call me on my cell anyway, so the only thing I am missing is telemarketer calls, which was reduced dramatically with the beginning of the no call lists. So I figured why pay $35 a month for something that does not get used. I get great reception with my cell and have only found a few spots that I have travelled to in the last 5 years that did not get a good signal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
no option for sat phone and cell phone only...  but that would be me.

Which Sat phone do you have, and how much does it run you?  I couldn't include all options, as the poll is limited to 5 choices...BAH.  

I'd like a Sat phone, but right now, it would just be pure novelty for me.  I don't usually go anywhere my cell phone doesn't get service, so it would be like owner a Hummer in the city.  

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I have work landlines, but haven't had a personal land line in years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top