Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2004 1:21:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Where is he sleeping? Can have alot to do with it at that age.

Edit: I could be wrong I would check first but I think baby asprin is what you want. So dicks going to tell you a bullet is what you want. We already know this.

Also I would feed it a few good meals, not just dog food. But something like beef. get it some strenght.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:25:49 AM EDT
[#2]
ya could try childrens non asprin ive used that on my best friend fritz (RIP) the giant snouser he had hip displasia too.

ya know a good meal isnt a bad idea either you know he deserves it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:30:22 AM EDT
[#3]
i wish i could remember everything i used to know...but yeah, you can give them certain kinds of human medicines..you might want to search online.  the dosage depends on the wt of the dog.

fwiw, i have a blk lab with not so great legs..i'm not looking forward to dealing with it years down the line.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:36:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Give him a couple asprin with some penut butter probably wont help a lot but may help a little
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:38:01 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for baby asprin, plus make sure he doesn't have to walk across tile or any other semi slippery surface.
When my old man (Bear) was having trouble, I would lay towels down so he wouldn't slip on the flooring.
A hot water bottle was a good friend to him on those really bad days.
I'd take a empty two liter bottle, fill it with really hot water, and wrap it in a towel.
Then cover his hips with a blanket, and put hot bottle underneath.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:41:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a Golden that suffered from hip dysplasia .

There are studies that support the use of Aspirin , glucosamine and chondroitin for degenerative joint disease in both dogs and humans.

When an older dog is exhibiting signs of pain associated with this condition it is often possible to help them through simple steps like providing a warm bed or warm spot to rest during the day. Regular exercise can be very helpful and weight loss is also recommended if your pup is paunchy .
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:48:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Our Lab mix is 12 years old and has osteoarthritis in both hips...painful to stand and walk. Took her to the vet, who put her on Duralactin. Now she acts like a puppy, running, playing, a whole new dog!

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:05:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:14:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Rimadyl can work as well, but a cautionary note: I have seen many old work dogs that did not lose their drive to chase or bite, etc. even at 10-12 or more years. If he is a ball crazy fool (the best Labs are, ya know!) Get the doseage to the point that he is comfortable, but not so completely ache-free that he thinks he is two again because this sort of activity level will ultimately make the problem worse. Good Luck.

www.rimadyl.com/display.asp?country=US&lang=EN&drug=RC&species=CN&sec=000
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a 150+ lb Neo Mastiff that was a great gaurd dog until he got hip displacia. Poor guy started to get irritable and couldn't be trusted around kids, even though it wasn't like him to do things like that when he was younger. Ended up dieing at 4 1/2 years old, which is really young even for really big dogs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:49:36 AM EDT
[#11]
DON'T give him ibuprofin.  Apparently it's toxic for dogs.  At least that's what someone was telling me recently when I was having noise problems with a neighbor's dogs -- his suggestion was to poison them with powdered ibuprofin in some sausage.  (Oh, just for the record, the guy suggesting this is an American.)

A quick Google search says that acetaminophen (Tylenol) is also dangerous for them.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pets/msg0918124912082.html :

Acetaminophen, for example, has been associated with liver damage in dogs. And Ibuprophen has been reported to cause gastro-intestinal bleeding.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:53:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I had a 150+ lb Neo Mastiff that was a great gaurd dog until he got hip displacia. Poor guy started to get irritable and couldn't be trusted around kids, even though it wasn't like him to do things like that when he was younger. Ended up dieing at 4 1/2 years old, which is really young even for really big dogs.

Same thing here with a Shepard, she snapped at the kids one day -- and she use to love them so.

When they are in that much pain it is time to "let them go".
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:01:38 AM EDT
[#13]
My pit/english mix has hip displasia.  I feed her Eukanuba brand large breed dog food because it has glucosamine in it.  Recently she was limping so I took her to the vet and they gave her Deramaxx which has worked great.  It can cause liver problems though so they test every so often for liver function.  I found it online for half the price the vet was charging, and when the vet found this out he matched the online price.  I went from giving her a half a pill with every meal, to every other meal, and now I give it to her every couple of days.

By the way, that hardwood floor you have in the pic isn't helping.  If you don't have throw rugs & such all over the house you should.  It's hard for dogs to walk on smooth surfaces like that because they slide and it puts stress on their hips.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:04:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:22:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for your concern. But that pic is at my mothers house when we were visiting. I keep rugs down here at home for better traction.

Good deal.  My place is all tile, so I have to do the same thing.  I just buy the $20 ones at Walmart & throw 'em out every few months to a year because they get so clogged with dog hair.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:33:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Right now I am in my den and I can hear him lying in bed with my GF groaning.

Bad wording.   Sorry to hear about the pooch. childrens asprin is safe for large breeds.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#17]
My dog (German Shepard / Shar Pei mix) also has problems with her hips now and again.  Our vet told us to give her a medicine call Ascriptin (it's asprin coated with Maalox).  It's an over the counter type of pain reliever that we found at Walgreen's and seems to work.

M590man
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Keeshound that has arthritis in her rear legs/hips. We treated her with Chondro-Chips (Chondroitin and something else), plus vet meds. She started off on Rimadyl, but that stopped working for her (good thing too, as there have been a bunch of dead animals from it), and switched her to Dermamax. She still is a bit creaky, but she gets around alright, and even does short walks (1 mile or less). And she's 15. Most Keeshounds barely make 12 years old, according to my vet.

Also, make sure the dog is slim, any extra weight makes it much harder for them when they have joint pain.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry to hear about your lab having health problems!  Hopefully the Vet can help him out with some meds so he doesn't hurt so bad . Best of luck!

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:01:38 AM EDT
[#20]
The vet hospital I work at will usually dispense Ascriptin for minor pain. For a lab sized dog, I believe 1/2 tab twice daily would be a good bet. As far as long term help, Rimadyl seems to be a popular choice to help dogs with arthritis/hip dysplasia
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:16:44 AM EDT
[#21]
A friend of mine had a Lab with hip displasia. The vet was giving it some sort of steriod shot once a month and it helped Brows a lot.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Acetomenophin (tylenol) is okay in small quantities. Aspirin is much better.

Just make sure it's coated or it can cause ulcers.

As far as a long term solution, he can live with this condition and have a high-quality of life as well.

1. Keep weight down. Feed him carrots or zuchini in place of regular food. It is 100% fiber for dogs. Some dogs will also eat grapes, but avoid too many as it can cause liver problems.

2. Inquire about glycosimine. It is used to treat arthritis and cartilage problems in both people and dogs. The canine presciption medication is "Glyco-Flex"

3. Inqire about canine health insurance. Both my dogs are covered by their own HMO (with much better service than any "human" HMO I may add. Cost is about $300 / yr with $10-$20 co-pay. They even covered my younger one getting spayed in addition to $1800 surgery when she was 3. We paid a little under $100 total for the procedures including the special food during recovery. AMAZING service.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:25:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Rimadyl is what I gave my goldens they lived to be 12 and 13, before they had to be put down.

Bad hips from birth, the male "Ace" was born with no ball on one of his hips that goes in the socket.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Got told about 1/2 a baby asprin every 2-3 days for a 20 lb. cat w/ arthritis.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#26]
I think ours was getting aspirin until the end
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:08:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:10:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry to hear about your buddy.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry to hear that, M4.  I know exactly what you're going through.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#32]
RIP buddy...your job is over and you can play like a pup once again.

Ever notice that dogs make the best people?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bump and a

This has not been a good year for our pups.

Yeah, very true.

Sorry M4.    Wish I didn't have to welcome you to "the club".  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Very sad, that is on reason I dont want to get a dog they dont last to long with there age. but there is all way new puppies being born every second. RIP
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I am sorry for your loss.  I also have a 12 year old lab, and lately I have had to help him down the stairs    so he won't fall down them.

Dogs in general are great friends, but it seems labs really go great with guns and hunting.

I buried my last lab overlooking the last lake he swam in.

I hope to find him one day waiting for me at the rainbow bridge, I am sure yours will be there too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:40:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Very sorry to hear this...  not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but  it is very powerful.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in the world is more grateful for kindness than my loving heart.

Do not break my spirit with a stick for though I would lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me things you would have me know.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music to me, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ears.

When it is cold and wet please take me inside for I am now a domestic animal no longer used to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Though you had no home, i would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I would not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well to romp and play and do your biding, walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should yours be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to take my health or sight, do not turn me away from you.

Rather, hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest,

...and I will always leave you knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was ever safe in your hands.

-- author unknown
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I had to put down my 7 year old Chow Chow due to bad hips.  Poor guy couldn't get with pain.  I stayed with him to the end, so the last thing he felt was me scratching his ears.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Very sorry for your loss.  Glad you were there to give him such a good life though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top