Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2004 12:01:04 AM EDT
What kind of name is that?

They make some community change a road name because it was called Jap Road, but here's a whole town called White Settlement?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#1]
www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/m...politan/2827999

Oct. 3, 2004, 1:07AM

83-year-old woman arrested after allegedly wielding gun

Associated Press

WHITE SETTLEMENT - An 83-year-old woman was pushed to the ground by police and arrested after allegedly brandishing a handgun during a small-town parade.

Witnesses said the woman argued with parade-goers and threatened them.

``My mother and brother were screaming, 'She's got a gun,' `` Yvette Landwert of Fort Worth told KTVT-TV in Dallas. ``People were running behind buildings. There was panic for a little while.''

Landwert said she believes the woman, whose name was not released, was angry at parade watchers for sitting on a curb in front of her home.

The parade was halted, and police talked the woman out of surrendering the gun before an officer grabbed her, tripping her and pushing her to the grass. Another witness, Felipe Zamora, videotaped the incident.

Police said the woman was arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and would make an initial appearance before a judge Sunday.

``Anytime a person has a weapon, everyone's in danger,'' said White Settlement police spokesman John Clapp.

White Settlement is just west of Fort Worth.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like Heaven....(Wolfpack's Philipino wife smashes a plate over his head).

Yeah, but it may be predominantly Black and/or Hispanic. Wouldn't that be ironic.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I live near White Settlement.  The name originates from the original settlers...with the last name of White.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like Heaven....(Wolfpack's Philipino wife smashes a plate over his head).

Yeah, but it may be predominantly Black and/or Hispanic. Wouldn't that be ironic.

It is...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I live near White Settlement.  The name originates from the original settlers...with the last name of White.

My sister lives there, and Palo_Duro is correct.  It has nothing to do with skin color, nor has it ever.

That's hilarious - and rather disappointing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My sister lives there, and Palo_Duro is correct.  It has nothing to do with skin color, nor has it ever.

Nevertheless, just wait 'til Revs. Jackson and Sharpton hear about it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:16:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I call it White-trash Settlement. I can call it that. My in-laws live there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:20:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is...

I beg to differ, its mostly poor white trash, not that many minorities, not like hispanics on the north side or blacks on the east side. I travel through White Settlement daily. My inlaws live there and Im across the highway from White Settlement.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:29:06 AM EDT
[#11]
"Anytime a person has a weapon, everyone's in danger,'' said White Settlement police spokesman John Clapp.

Now, that's what I call a sweeping generalization. Incorrect also.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:38:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I beg to differ, its mostly poor white trash, not that many minorities, not like hispanics on the north side or blacks on the east side. I travel through White Settlement daily. My inlaws live there and Im across the highway from White Settlement.

Yer high.  Messkins dominate that place.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:43:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Race baiter!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:46:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, it SOUNDED too good to be true.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:57:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The world is never QUITE evil enough to satisfy most college students.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:07:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No it's not.  It's racist, and someone should call the ACLU!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
its mostly poor white trash, not that many minorities

It's my understanding that White people officially ARE a minority in Texas this year for the first time ever.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It's my understanding that White people officially ARE a minority in Texas this year for the first time ever.

Yep - came out in the news about 3 weeks ago.  

Surrounded by non-whites at lunch just after it was reported, I told the group they needed to buy me lunch because I was a minority and oppressed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Thread hijack -
I'm going to Pie Town, NM next year, just see the place.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#20]
My uncle lives there, he builds planes for GD.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#22]

``Anytime a person has a weapon, everyone's in danger,'' said White Settlement police spokesman John Clapp.

Well THAT'S just NICE how the WSPD views anyone who is armed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Not a thread hijack, but there's actually a town in Scotland called Nigg...

www.city-visitor.com/nigg
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey, at least Benbrook is still decent.  Only about 10 minutes from White Settlement.  My sister lives there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My uncle lives there, he builds planes for GD.

And according to moneyshot, he's probably just poor white trash.

Read my post again sir, I said MOSTLY white trash, not all, but mostly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:54:02 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Wrong,

My family lived there in the 40's to the 70's when it was still all-white and the name comes from when Fort Worth was built and 2 settlements came into being.  One populated by whites, the other by Native Americans.  

You can confirm the story by calling the Chamber of Commerce.

eta:  google rocks www.ci.white-settlement.tx.us/
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#27]
There is a small community here in Louisiana called French Settlement.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:07:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I just recently moved to louisiana from white settlement, and at least the far west side is still decent homes, with decent people living in them. Was starting to slip to the other side though, sadly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
its mostly poor white trash, not that many minorities

Haha, no shit. Im lucky I have some cool coworkers, its a pretty diverse work environment and everyone gets along very well.  After dropping my son off for his first day of school I walked into my job and said- "You know, the term minority is a relative term, relative to where you are, not who you are!" They laughed at that and agreed. My sons classroom is predominantly hispanic this year.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The name originates from the original settlers...with the last name of White.

Wrong,

Good job, Dino.  My purpose was trying to avoid shit from being stirred.  Do you feel better now?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#32]
I drove through White Settlement on the way to a funeral a few years ago and two little old women in a buick hit a road pylon and got freaked out and pulled over to see what the noise was under their car. No less than 4 cars had already stopped and were helping them before we could even turn around. Being poor has nothing to do with what kind of person you are.  I hope it wasn't one of them that went Dirty Harry on the parade

I think WS really got its population during the days of the Bomber Plant and the big days of Carswell AFB (SAC). Its pretty run down nowadays.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong,

Good job, Dino.  My purpose was trying to avoid shit from being stirred.  Do you feel better now?

Hey, I cant speak for Dino, but I'm not trying to start any shit here. When I saw this thread last night I just about fell out of my chair. There are alot of us here on this forum that represent a large country with hundreds of cities and thousands of communities all over. Never in a thousand years would I expect someone else to point out the very thing I think about everytime I drive through White Settlement. When we were driving to my in-laws one day, as we drove through White Settlement I asked my wife- "doesn't that sound kind of racist?" "Why is it called White Settlement?" I never gave much thought to the origins of the name, but even in this political/racial landscape, it could mean an entirely different thing, but still conjure up all kinds of assumptions (like the one I have) about it. I just found this thread too intriguing to pass up. My remarks about "white trash" are flippant and mostly for the enjoyment of my wifes ire since she grew up there. It gets a rise out of her and she jabs me pretty good when I say it. But even she agrees with my general assumption about the quality of life there. It seems, well..."white-trashy" when you drive through it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

French settlement? wouldn't that be White Flag Settlement? almost the same...

BTW, my uncle who lives there and builds planes is also an NRA member drives only fords and hunts doves when he can.
I know he has far more money they he needs or spends. I quess he must be from the good side of town.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

French settlement? wouldn't that be White Flag Settlement? almost the same...

BTW, my uncle who lives there and builds planes is also an NRA member drives only fords and hunts doves when he can.
I know he has far more money they he needs or spends. I quess he must be from the good side of town.

Good that you bring up this point, I was going to mention it, but started to feel long-winded in my previous post. We all have different opinions of what a good quality home is, I think that all the homes in White Settlement suck. I have a different set of standards for what I call a home, and everyone is different that way. Alot of people dont put much emphasis on the home but what they put inside the home or what they put in the driveway or put in the gun safe.

Alot of people want nothing but have everything- They may have run down homes, nothing of value, but have their family and God and thats all they need and they feel like kings. (they are the most fortunate ones IMO) I'm only describing things based on my own set of standards. Am I materialistic? Yes, and Im not proud of it either.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong,

I didn't see it as shit stirring, I saw it as asking an honest question that deserved an honest answer.  No different than if someone had asked how Uncertain, Texas got its name.

It sounds as if you knew your response was incorrect when you gave it.  How does that help to avoid shit stirring?  

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#37]
We have a member here that lives in White Settlement ,I sold him a Pre-ban DPMS!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yer high.  Messkins dominate that place.

You might as well have called us 'wetbacks.'  

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas... <- Lives in Frisco.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Honestly, it's nowhere near as good a name for a town as "Gun Barrel City," Texas. Now that's a town's name (south of Dallas) worth celebrating!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top