Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 10:30:09 PM EDT
So, a good friend of mine wants to keep tabs on her husband. She thinks hes cheating on her, and she wants to find out where hes going all the time throughout the week.

Does anyone know of good simple tracking systems that can be installed into the husbands car? And that will store information for where he's gone during the day?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh forgot to add, some investigator offered to install one for 1 week that provides addresses and time spent there, for 1200 dollars. Worth it?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:46:05 AM EDT
[#2]
The gear is relatively expensive, to the point that generally only LE and some of your private investigator types can afford it. It generally requires a court order to install in most places (Grand Jury Subpoena or Warrant), although, in a community property state, a spouse probably could grant permission to install one.

From the sound of it, they are offering a "position logger" GPS tracker, which does not work in real time, for the most part, but periodically downloads an log of where the vehicle has been to the operators. $1200? Seems steep, but then I have never spied on anyone for fun and profit; the fun was just a fringe benefit.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:52:51 AM EDT
[#3]
RIP OFF !!

Our company trucks have a GPS transmitter like UPS or FEDEX would use. They know where we are at all times and even pages our boss if we go over 65 mph. And that is what Qwest Communications is doing today. Oh yea, the info goes back thru SPRINT cell towers to our master computor. And no one uses the system except to bust guys hanging out at coffee shops too long! Wish I had that kind of screw off time there!
Each truck cost $400 to equip. So go figure it out for yourself.

Just tell your friend to dump the bastard and save the $$$ for a nice trip to the islands!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:20:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Some new cell phones will show where someone is on a map if they are within 50 miles of you..

could get 2 and plant one in his car where it would get a signal..
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#5]

So, a good friend of mine wants to keep tabs on her husband. She thinks hes cheating on her, and she wants to find out where hes going all the time throughout the week.

I know it doesnt really answer the question. But, if she can honestly believe that he is doing this then there is something desperatly wrong anyways that wont be solved regardless of how much money she spends...
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:54:26 AM EDT
[#6]
just use a small gps with a tracking log, then download it periodically

also - check the local laws, as it is ILLEGAL in some places
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks, thats what i figure.  asimple GPS device would work then right? And just translate the coordinates...

Well, shes using it as ammunition to justify her reasons to divorce. Looks like things are going down hill quickly, and it gives her more ground to confront him with it.

He wont divorce out of pride, plain and simple..

Can anyone recommend some good GPS brands that can work from lets say the trunk of the car? I heard the antenna usually needs to have a clear line of sight with the open sky, but obviously this doohickey needs to remain hidden.

Thanks, yea i figure 1200 is a rip off..

Any links are appreciated
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Rino 130. It has a "breadcrumb" feature, where it logs positions at certain time intervals. When you overlay that with the map it shows where you've been.  The low-tech way to do this would be to switch one on and dump one in the back seat. The only problem would be battery life; mines runs something like 10 or 12 hours on one set of batteries. The reception might also be iffy, so check it out to make sure it works. Other GPSs probably have the same feature and longer battery life. My Rino cost something like a couple hundred bucks, but you can probably get something cheaper than that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F010%5F004%5F002%5F003&product%5Fid=49%2D1050

249.99 Brand: RadioShack
Catalog #: 49-1050
(Pricing and Availability may vary outside
the contiguous 48 United States.)
Where to Buy
On-line In Stock
1-800-THE-SHACK (1-800-843-7422) In Stock
Check your local store for availability:  
Product Documents for this product. Search for Support Documents
Click here
Enhanced emergency roadside assistance service with all of the great benefits of roadside assistance plus real-time vehicle tracking.

PRODUCT FEATURES
• Operators can pinpoint your exact location to alert police, fire, ambulance or roadside assistance
• You are covered by emergency roadside assistance accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week with the push of a button
• Services include towing, jump starts, fuel delivery, flat tire repair, winching/stuck-vehicle service, lock-out service plus reimbursement for expenses up to $500
• Using the track option, you can locate your vehicle real-time on a secure website—www.roadsidecompanion.com
• GPS device can be moved between multiple vehicles and requires no installation
• Includes 12-volt outlet power adapter
• Roadside Companion service not available in all areas

and the sunday paper insert for Radio shack says you can go to a website to see where the car is at anytime,,,

this usefull.?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Holy Crap

Cluster i think you've found the golden egg.
Ill look further into this doohickey. Thanks for all the help gents.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
thanks, thats what i figure.  asimple GPS device would work then right? And just translate the coordinates...

Well, shes using it as ammunition to justify her reasons to divorce. Looks like things are going down hill quickly, and it gives her more ground to confront him with it.

He wont divorce out of pride, plain and simple..

Can anyone recommend some good GPS brands that can work from lets say the trunk of the car? I heard the antenna usually needs to have a clear line of sight with the open sky, but obviously this doohickey needs to remain hidden.

Thanks, yea i figure 1200 is a rip off..

Any links are appreciated

Isn't CA a no fault divorce state? If so all she has to do is file for divorce, all that needs to be listed as a reason is "I don't want to be married no more".
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#13]
the simple gps will work so long as the batteries (or 12V adapter) work AND you have good satellite reception (an external antenna is possible, but shove it in a kleenex box and put it by the rear window of the car and it should pick up so long as there is no tree or buildings blocking the satellites....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top