Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2004 8:43:56 PM EDT
How much of it do you watch or listen to?

This just isn't for the Mormons.

I have made it to Priesthood so far.  Way to tired to watch it on TV.  Would of fallen asleep anyways.  Try better tomorrow.

BTW:" I dont expect this to get tomany replys.  Just did it to get my post count up, no I mean I was just wondering.  Yea thats it
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#1]
SPECTRE said I'm prohibited from responding to any LDS threads...

I'm grounded....
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'm grounded....

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Normally all 4 general sessions. But today I sinned and went mountain byking with my brother who also sinned and a non member friend. I guess I could have invited my friend and counted that as missionary work!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Normally all

But my new job has me working 56 hours a week, and one of the shifts is on Saturday, so i will only get to watch tomorrows.....

ah well, the life we lead
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
como?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Can someone post a map of all the LDS houses in the neighborhood. I want to know which houses to raid for food, guns and white women when the SHTF.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can someone post a map of all the LDS houses in the neighborhood. I want to know which houses to raid for food, guns and white women when the SHTF.

Do your own recon!

If SPECTRE asks, you never saw me
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Buddy you wouldn't make it past the first one...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Az_Redneck,

Thanks for the map. i won't tell SPECTRE where it came from.

Panzerwolf,

You're right. I'm sure they're all high speed operators.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Az_Redneck,

Panzerwolf,

Oh GREAT! Now I'm gonna have 2 clean cut bikers at my door next saturday! Thanks alot I_B!

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#12]
For you LDS people out in the Mesa area, I'm looking for a school bud that I had lost track of, but I do know he lives in and works for the city(?) of Mesa. Name in Tom Hollobaugh. Any help?
Borg
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Az_Redneck,

Panzerwolf,

I hit what  I aim for!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Az_Redneck,

Panzerwolf,

I'll tell ya what...I'll give ya a  map to my ward and bus fare one way...

Here's a pic of our Sat. Priesthood get together:

White women:

And our 14 yr old youth...

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:02:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Az_Redneck,

Panzerwolf,

www.xmission.com/~betta/111-1178_IMG.JPG

White women:

www.xmission.com/~betta/104_0429.JPG

www.xmission.com/~betta/104_0460.JPG

You need to come down here and organize an Elders Quorum social
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:06:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Az_Redneck,

Panzerwolf,

White women:

You need to come down here and organize an Elders Quorum social

My sis is down in mesa and she's a firearms and tactics instructor too...maybe she could do a joint social..relief society vs. elders...you bring the ammo.

Guarunteed she watched all of conference!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#17]
OMFG, let's hold a bake sale!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:13:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't have to around my neck of the woods.  None that I've met so far are particularly defense oriented.

Are you sure? that doesn't look like a priest in the white sweatshirt.

Why would a Gentile have any interest in the Conferences, it's not like it's a General Convention of the Episcopal Church where things get exciting, gays, politics, etc.  Not to be insulting but in most parts of the country the activities of the Mormon Church don't get noticed unless they swap missionaries or switch to mountain bikes..  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#19]
As I've told others: "If you come to ask, we help.  If you come to take, we shoot."

As for the original question, we catch the four main sessions on TV and try to get to preisthood at the Stake Center.

As for the range activities, last weekend, we took 41 people to the range for an Aaronic Priesthood Activity.  Had some young women join us.  Some families too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Is there a "why would i even bother with it" option?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Az_Redneck,

Panzerwolf,

White women:

Thanks for the pics!

Cool stuff!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:24:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Any of you boys know what channel Ican find it on?(comcast cable)

sst7
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Well I wish some of your bretheren were in my neck of the woods so that we could patrol together! Maybe then I would be be more active rather than in active
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wouldn't have to around my neck of the woods.  None that I've met so far are particularly defense oriented.

You would be so suprised!
Are you sure? that doesn't look like a priest in the white sweatshirt.

Trust us on this...

Why would a Gentile have any interest in the Conferences,it's not like it's a General Convention of the Episcopal Church where things get exciting, gays, politics, etc.  Not to be insulting but in most parts of the country the activities of the Mormon Church don't get noticed unless they swap missionaries or switch to mountain bikes..

Yes, but timeless positive messages that can if heeded, help in making the right decisions in one's life...  

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Normally all 4 general sessions. But today I sinned and went mountain byking with my brother who also sinned and a non member friend. I guess I could have invited my friend and counted that as missionary work!

If you were being a good example to your friend, and he knows what faith you are, it is missionary work - in any church. So you get an official ecumenical pass.

ETA: I assume the General Conference is, as someone suggested, a church-wide convention. Is there an obligation (or strong encouragement) for LDS to watch it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#26]
there should be a "rabbit with pancake on its head" option in this poll
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I'm grounded....

OK, THATS IT !!!
I'm giving your name and address to the Scientologists and Jehovas Witnesses !!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#28]
What on earth is the LDS General Conference, so far all I can tell is that its a gathering or mormons with guns
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you were being a good example to your friend, and he knows what faith you are, it is missionary work - in any church. So you get an official ecumenical pass.

ETA: I assume the General Conference is, as someone suggested, a church-wide convention. Is there an obligation (or strong encouragement) for LDS to watch it?

I saw all 5 sessions, though I admit to napping a little during the last (seems to happen every time).  Gets a little hard to pay attention through 10 hours of meetings in two days.

FLAL1A,

Yes, you could compare it to a church-wide convention of sorts.  It is strongly encouraged to watch as many sessions as one can.  Of course, anyone here could go to LDS.org and watch the video footage from any of the sessions.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What on earth is the LDS General Conference, so far all I can tell is that its a gathering or mormons with guns

No, Conference has nothing to do with guns.

I think the gun comments came about when someone threatened to raid the homes of LDS families.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I saw all 5 sessions, though I admit to napping a little during the last (seems to happen every time).  Gets a little hard to pay attention through 10 hours of meetings in two days.

FLAL1A,

Yes, you could compare it to a church-wide convention of sorts.  It is strongly encouraged to watch as many sessions as one can.  Of course, anyone here could go to LDS.org and watch the video footage from any of the sessions.

Yeeeeeaaaaah. Nothing quite as exciting as a meeting - of any group, on any subject. Maybe the idea is that watching is a sort of group penance - or maybe knowing they won't be able to get the Conference (darn!) encourages people to sign up for missionary work in Africa and Asia.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:36:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FLAL1A,

Yeeeeeaaaaah. Nothing quite as exciting as a meeting - of any group, on any subject. Maybe the idea is that watching is a sort of group penance - or maybe knowing they won't be able to get the Conference (darn!) encourages people to sign up for missionary work in Africa and Asia.

LDS missionaries don't choose where they serve.  Older couple missionaries have some say, but the approx. 50,000 19-25 year olds don't choose.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#33]
FLAL1A,

It's really not a penance.  It's an opportunity to hear the words of a living Prophet, Apostles, and other general authorities of the Church.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
FLAL1A,

It's really not a penance.  It's an opportunity to hear the words of a living Prophet, Apostles, and other general authorities of the Church.

I can see where that would be a thrilling thing for a believer. I was imagining televised budget committee meetings, powerpoint presentations from the Building & Grounds Committee, et c.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FLAL1A,

I can see where that would be a thrilling thing for a believer. I was imagining televised budget committee meetings, powerpoint presentations from the Building & Grounds Committee, et c.

Woah...that would indeed be very tedious.

Imagine St. Paul or St. Peter addressing church members via live broadcast (in a modern setting).  That's effectively what it is.

Yes, for a believer it can be very exciting.  For example, two new Apostles (from the Quorum of the 12) were called and sustained to fill vacancies left by two who recently passed away.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Az_Redneck,

Panzerwolf,

White women:

1. mjrowley - You my friend are a post whore . - j/k  (btw, i'll meet you back at the usual thread )

2. Direct TV 374, didn't need to go anywhere to watch, nice

3. Panzerwolf - next time I'm in town for BrainDead Brainshare  I'll look you guys up.  Looks like fun.

4.  Btw, I believe I can carry when I'm in town but can't take it to sacrament
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I've got a lot of respect for the members of the Church of Latter Day Saints. The Church really looks out for its people & all of the LDS  missionaries I've spoken with really believed in what they were doing
Having said that,  I'd like to ask a question of the LDS members. Why is it that non- LDS Christians are not permitted to use LDS Canneries? I've tried numerous times to try and make arrangements to use the local cannery all to no avail. I've offered to volunteer whilst NOT canning my supplies, bring all my own stuff in, appt 6 mos in advance, etc.

Shouldn’t a fellow Christian be admitted? Why the prejudice? I'd understand if my use of the facilities would adversly affect a LDS member, but I dont see how it could, when I'm willing to work with whatever restrictions they would place on me

Anyone care to explain?

echo6
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm grounded....

OK, THATS IT !!!
I'm giving your name and address to the Scientologists and Jehovas Witnesses !!

Now, now, play nice, SPECTRE
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I've got a lot of respect for the members of the Church of Latter Day Saints. The Church really looks out for its people & all of the LDS  missionaries I've spoken with really believed in what they were doing
Having said that,  I'd like to ask a question of the LDS members. Why is it that non- LDS Christians are not permitted to use LDS Canneries? I've tried numerous times to try and make arrangements to use the local cannery all to no avail. I've offered to volunteer whilst NOT canning my supplies, bring all my own stuff in, appt 6 mos in advance, etc.

Shouldn’t a fellow Christian be admitted? Why the prejudice? I'd understand if my use of the facilities would adversly affect a LDS member, but I dont see how it could, when I'm willing to work with whatever restrictions they would place on me

Anyone care to explain?

echo6

Hey Echo6,

I'm sure if you hook up with one of  the Florida AR15 Member who's also a member of the chuch, they would be more than happy to help you out.   I just spoke to someone from our area, and they said anyone is welcome, as long as they are with a member, they don't see anything wrong.   Your offer to volunteer would be greatly appreciated.  Plus you can go shooting afterwards.

If you want more help, IM me  I'll try and point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:26:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Anyone care to explain?

echo6

Echo6,

Fair enough question.  I really don't know.

I'm going to venture a guess.  LDS Canneries are a part of the Church's welfare program, and their usage is funded by fast offering funds that are considered sacred (mismanaging Church funds is a quick way to get a person excommunicated).  Because of the sacred funding, I think the LDS Church is especially strict about how the facilities are used.

Have you emailed a representative to get an official reason?  I would be interested to know what they'd say.

As a side note, the LDS Church regularly provides aid to people and countries that have nothing to do with the Church itself, so I doubt it is really a matter of predudice.  It's more likely an administrative thing.  I can appreciate your desire to use the facilities.  I've helped in a local cannery, and they have impressive equipment.  They also run a very tight ship.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Sterling18,

I talked with a neighbor about the CCW thing.  We're guessing that it's a liability issue.  The chances of a negligent discharge are probably greater than the chances that the CCW will be needed.  Has anyone here sent a letter or email to Church headquarters asking them about it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Sterling18,

I talked with a neighbor about the CCW thing.  We're guessing that it's a liability issue.  The chances of a negligent discharge are probably greater than the chances that the CCW will be needed.  Has anyone here sent a letter or email to Church headquarters asking them about it?

Spoke to my bishop.  Said it's only a Utah thing for now, since the Stake hasn't pass anything like that  along.

Then again, I can't CCW in NY due to my libby judge in my county.  Nice to see Utah accept both my NY and PA license thought.  Sweet.

Our guess is a liability issue too.  You know how many kids are playing by their parents during  sacrament?  I know my boys do.  Imagine a ND.  Nobody want's any part of that one.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Patrolling??? Is that Church approved?  What do you patrol for?  

Hmm Defensive, no you don't live across the street from somebody for  18 years without being able to come up with a fair idea of their defensive capabilities. Which is none.  their only activities along that line are to pretty much fill up the local city Amateur Radio Emergency group.

Trust you on this?  Are you saying the female is a Priest?  or just a participant in the activity?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I've taken other church members shooting a few times.  One time I linked up with another friend who brought some full auto fun.  It's been awhile...probably time for that again...hehe.

I watched about 1/2 of conference this time, but I PVR'd it all.  On an interesting note, one of the new apostles is from Germany.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I've taken other church members shooting a few times.  One time I linked up with another friend who brought some full auto fun.  It's been awhile...probably time for that again...hehe.

I watched about 1/2 of conference this time, but I PVR'd it all.  On an interesting note, one of the new apostles is from Germany.

I noticed that.  Spoke very well.  The other was quite young.  Not even a gray hair.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Anyone care to explain?

echo6

I didn't know that! The local cannery is managed by the town and the Church. I think that anyone may use it with an appointment. I know that doesn't help you all the way out there in Florida.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top