Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 10:39:14 AM EDT
I picked up 9 turkey legs on sale and decided I was going to try them in my smoker.  Right now I have them in a brine solution of salt, onion, garlic, and sugar.  All the receipes that I've seen say to let them soak for 24 hours.  Is that really necessary?  Other receipes don't use the brine and just coat the legs with vegetable oil and a rub, then recoat it every hour.

Has anyone here done this?  Any comments on your receipe?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#1]
when I smoke turkey legs, I go 'bareback'

nothin' on 'em but smoke
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#2]
There should be some brown sugar in the brine!!!  I do mine plain and smoke em with mesquite.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#3]
HMMMM good eats, love smoke turkey and chicken.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Just bought a smoker yesterday, gonna try some cornish hens next weekend, any tips for a rookie?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I smoke them all the time and brine is the way to go, you won't regret it.
My usual brine recipie is simular to yours with the addition of Morton Tender quick. Before you put them in the smoker take them out of the brine and let the surface dry, it will form a film called a pellicum I believe. It will help seal in the moisture and make the skin a little crispy. I do this with a whole turkey as well. After that I like to oil them up or coat with mustard and then roll in my rub of the day.  Four hours at 180 seems to be just right for me. When I fire up the smoker I always throw in a half dozen for Dad, he can't seem to get enough of them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]
good, specially at a county fair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top