Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2004 9:00:51 AM EDT
Went to the local Octoberfest at the county fairgrounds last night. At the entrance people were being searched and wanded next to a large sign that read:

"Pursuant to provisions of the Patriot Act, no weapons OF ANY KIND are allowed in areas of large gatherings".

WTF? Maybe it's one of those little gems buried in the fine print of the Patriot Act, but this is a new one to me! What the hell else is "hidden" in the damn thing?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Um, how about they fact they can tape your isp and phone provider with out a warrant and then make it illegal for either service provider to tell you.

Sounds like a fun new era. CW2 here we come, only this time its the gov afraid of the civis.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Went to the local Octoberfest at the county fairgrounds last night. At the entrance people were being searched and wanded next to a large sign that read:

"Pursuant to provisions of the Patriot Act, no weapons OF ANY KIND are allowed in areas of large gatherings".

WTF? Maybe it's one of those little gems buried in the fine print of the Patriot Act, but this is a new one to me! What the hell else is "hidden" in the damn thing?

Should have asked them to point out the provision. Somone gives me that shit they better prove it to me or they ain't getting me to give up my gun(put it in the car).
Though being an Octoberfest thing I'm sure that since beer is being served you wouldn't be allowed to pack anything anyway. I know we are not allowed to take a gun into any place the serves beer and other similar beverages. Don;t know about TN though, but still.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:06:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Why do you think some podunk security group is telling the truth about their authority to search visitors?
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Should have asked them to point out the provision. Somone gives me that shit they better prove it to me or they ain't getting me to give up my gun(put it in the car).
Though being an Octoberfest thing I'm sure that since beer is being served you wouldn't be allowed to pack anything anyway. I know we are not allowed to take a gun into any place the serves beer and other similar beverages. Don;t know about TN though, but still.

Yeah, beer was served (had a few Warsteiners myself!), and if that was the reason I'm not surprised---you know, the whole alcohol and guns thing. But that apparently was not the reason. They specifically referenced the Patriot Act.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Look on a bill next time, you may notice the patriot act on it some where.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Possibly the lackey who was directed to make the sign was unable to find the TN (or county-level) law that covers weapons at such events, and just substituted the PA for its intimidation factor and uncomplicated spelling.  Five minutes on Packing.org and I found this:

Linky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top