Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2004 7:33:23 AM EDT
I have a '99 Caddy that last year had the ignition switch go bad (tamper resistance anti theft type) not allowing the engine to start so I took it to the dealer and got it R/R'd.  Yesterday the switch appears to have done the same thing, what I'm wanting to know is there a way to bypass the anti tamper device in the switch to allow me to start the engine?   BTW the first time this happened the mileage was 60K excatly the same as my '99 Grand Am when its switch went on the blink, kinda strange huh????
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#1]
damn fetzer valves...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The anti tamper device kills power to the ignition via the computer on these newer cars so I do not believe this is the remedy I'm looking for but thanks anyhow.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Try and run a  wire from the switch that will stay hot  when its in the on position out to the distributor, and make sure it will stay hot when you are cranking the engine over as well,use a test light to check it , you might have something else wrong besides the switch ??  

Quoted:
I have a '99 Caddy that last year had the ignition switch go bad (tamper resistance anti theft type) not allowing the engine to start so I took it to the dealer and got it R/R'd.  Yesterday the switch appears to have done the same thing, what I'm wanting to know is there a way to bypass the anti tamper device in the switch to allow me to start the engine?   BTW the first time this happened the mileage was 60K excatly the same as my '99 Grand Am when its switch went on the blink, kinda strange huh????

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Try and run a  wire from the switch that will stay hot  when its in the on position out to the distributor, and make sure it will stay hot when you are cranking the engine over as well,use a test light to check it , you might have something else wrong besides the switch ??  

Thats funny, most cars have not had distributors for over ten years.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
TTT  for the night crew...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that IS funny !

Ignition System

How Stuff Works
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]
On GM cars the actual ignition switch used to be moutned down near the bottom of the steering column. The part where the key goes is only the steering column lock, but has a "receiver" for the chip in the key ( I'm assuming you have a key with a chip in it ). Did they replace the steering column lock, or the ignition switch? You didn't say exactly what the symptoms were other than "my car wouldn't start". That covers a lot of ground. More info is needed really to give a good answer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 1:54:01 AM EDT
[#9]
The ignition switch was bad, not the reciever.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Apparently you havent looked under the hood of many cars or trucks lately or you would see there are still many engines that have distributors in them , was just trying to help you with your problem and all you care about is being a comedian, have worked on automobiles for over 30 years, and have forgot more about them than you will ever learn, or you would not be here asking for Help to fix your starting problem, I wish you  Good Luck   !!!!!  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I am just trying to find out if GM has programed asystem into teh car to defeat teh antitheft device in the event of a failure of said device?  I have heard of some vehicles that have this type of system similar to the '95 Isuzu Rodeo I had that was dsigned to not start unless you first activated the left turn signal.

BTW Ken, I  realize that you are probably just bating me but I challenge you to find one vehicle legal for sale in the US and made after 1996 that has a mechanical distributor installed by the OEM manufacture.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top