Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 11:46:10 PM EDT
So last summer I played an online game for about 2 weeks.. it sucked so I just forgot all about it, never played it again.

Between then and now I've been commuting 1.5 hours each way every day up until this week, so naturally I've been racking up alot of gas bills on my credit card.  My online statement only shows like the last 10 or so charges so up until now I didn't notice that those bastards at EA.com have been billing me every month for the past 3 months!!!

rgghhh...  I distinctly remember sigining up for 1 freaking month ONLY!  
I guess I'm gonna have to go through a big fight to get them to credit the 40 bucks they owe me back to my Visa.  I hate EA.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Two words: Credit Dispute.

Works every time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Most places keep charging you unless you specifically cancel the membership.  If you agreed to the licensing (most likely did), there's probably a provision for that in it somewhere.

It sucks, but you're probably SOL.  Sorry.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
well, the thing is it had different options on signup like for 1 month, 6 months, or 1 year.  I chose 1 month.   And they billed my card for the 1 month price.

Then they decided to keep billing it once a month even though I hadn't logged into the game a single time since the first month...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, its called a subscription.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:55:22 PM EDT
[#5]
That's pretty standard. If you had a picked the six month option, for example, they would have billed you for a six month chunk and at the end of that period if you had not cancelled  they would have billed another six months. The advantage to picking one of the longer terms is you get a lower price.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:56:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
well, the thing is it had different options on signup like for 1 month, 6 months, or 1 year.  I chose 1 month.   And they billed my card for the 1 month price.

Then they decided to keep billing it once a month even though I hadn't logged into the game a single time since the first month...

Yep, that's how they work.  You're choosing the billing option, not the entirety of your subscription.  

At least you caught it after 3 months, just think if you had chosen 1 year and then forgotten about it.  Next year they would bill you for another whole year.

Try and fight it, anyway.  You might get lucky.  Most of the time they just tell you where to stick it, though.  Punks.  

edited for stupid spelling
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
yeah, its called a subscription.  

Damn the inescapable logic!!!

o well.  If EA won't cough it up I'll just dispute the charge with Visa...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:00:27 AM EDT
[#8]
This is the one reason you shouldn't play subscription games.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Tell your credit card company you are being charged for services you have not requested or received.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This is the one reason you shouldn't play subscription games.  

At the end of the 2 weeks I think I slightly resembled Jabba the Hut.

Yeah, I can dispute the latest charge maybe... but not the others because I already unwittingly paid them.  Damn me.  I am my own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Exactly, just make sure you "tell the story straight" and dispute it with your credit card company.
You will never have to deal with EA and, two months later, the credit card company will send you a pre-approved application.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Tell your credit card company you are being charged for services you have not requested or received.

At which point EA provides a copy of the subscription agreement he clicked 'YES' on, and the CC company rightfully tells him to pound sand.

If you're not willing to read the rules, don't play.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:09:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Always cancel, my cousin did the same thing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top