Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2004 11:26:54 PM EDT
I'm curious...

I'm an organ donor, as per the back of my Driver's Licence.  I keep hearing that should I be in an accident, I'm less likely to get that above and beyond lifesaving care because of the fact that I gave permission for others to receive my organs.  

So, is it true that  surgeons get 'finder's fees' for slicing out someone's kidneys after a car accident?  or that they won't push as hard to save my life after a bad accident if I've signed the back of the DL?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard the same but I am still a donor.  I wish more would be.  When your dead, your dead.  Might as well give another person a better life or a life at all.  But I don't like the notion of an EMS saying fuck it here a donor!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard the same thing but I've also heard that if you are not a donor docs think you are greedy and say fuck him.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]
No sir.  My background allows me to say with authority, that is indeed, false.  You will receive equal treatment.  The people who respond to an accident scene and the people who care for you in both the emergency dept. and O.R. want to save your life.

Please do not believe otherwise.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I still wouldn't post it, let your family know and they can let the hospital know your wishes in the event of you passing away.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I got out of a ticket once because I had my organ donor info signed and up to date.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have it, it also makes drivers license cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
pretty fucking sad when that's half of a person's incentives for doing so.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Doc's make plenty of money already. There is no need for them to kill folks for more.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have it, it also makes drivers license cheaper.

LMAO, $15 as it is, how much cheaper can it get.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
That's a load of bs, my mom is a pedi transplant coordinator and I hear alot about organ donation they'll do whatever they can to save someone. There's alot that they go through to match a potential donor and recipient. She does refer to motorcycles as donor cycles though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know about MI, but in IL you have to let your family know your decision, or they wont give your organs away.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#12]
If you come in that bashed up, we bust our humps trying to save you.  THEN we look at your license.  It's not uncommon to take care of "Trauma Male Doe" and not know name or other info for hours or even a day or two.  I've never heard of a "finder's fee" for surgeons, and financial incentives for organ procurement would be unethical if not illegal.  It's a very time and labor-intensive (read: expensive) process for which the donor family isn't charged.  Insurance covers some, and charitable contributions cover another portion.

FWIW I'm an organ donor, too.  Just keep  me away from those med students.  My family knows, and we are all donors.  Talk it over with your family before, b/c that's not the time for them to find out about your wishes.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I work for an OPO (Organ Procurement Organization) in the Midwest and I can tell you that  is utter B.S. In a trauma situation the LAST thing anyone will do is look at your DL first before treating you. In IL you have to have family permission for organ donation. However, before you even get to that step you have to be declared legally brain dead. The brain death decleration is done by both a physical examination and an apnea test/cerebral blood flow study/EEG. If any show a positive finding then no decleration can be made. Organ donation saves lives and if you want to be one the most important step is letting your family know it. As a side note I am getting out of the field. I am working on my teaching certificate starting in the Winter. I have a Doctorate and I just want to get out of the medical field
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top