You know, Micro$oft?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You know, Micro$oft?

It wasn't MS  It was the software companies not adhereing to the win32 model.  This is the same faulty reasoning people use for system crashes.  The vast, vast majority of system crashes are due to sloppy 3rd party drivers.  SP2 works fine.  Apps written by vendors like Symantec who knew they were not releasing golden code got caught with their pants down.  But go ahead and bash away on MS, everyone else does...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
SP2 works on my pc without problems.... so far....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:35:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Why should I bother "acquiring" sp2?

Is there some huge virus out there thats gonna incapacitate my system if i don't?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Is there some huge virus out there thats gonna incapacitate my system if i don't?

It's more to set firewall settings and stuff.  Eventually you will have to when MS cumulative patches get to where you must have SP2
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's more to set firewall settings and stuff.  Eventually you will have to when MS cumulative patches get to where you must have SP2

It does fix a lot of issues, though.  I'd recommend installing it, unless there's some compelling reason not to (there usually isn't).

for some reason, MS thinks my copy of xp is pirated...
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Did you loan out your CD Key?  Is it legal?  You can run regedit and drill down to HKEY LM, SW, MS, Windows.  Somewhere in that area is the hive with the CD key, just ream it out and place anything you want
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:55:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Im gonna switch to cable internet sometime next week so d/l 250 mb won't be a biggie.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you loan out your CD Key?  Is it legal?  You can run regedit and drill down to HKEY LM, SW, MS, Windows.  Somewhere in that area is the hive with the CD key, just ream it out and place anything you want

Did you buy a retail copy? OEM? Or did you download it from some P2P site? Reason I ask is that I worked on a woman's computer recently, and could NOT update it via either Microsoft's site, nor the Security CD they sent me. It turned out to be a pirate copy, and what sucked even worse, was that the system builder (local guy, not a name brand) stuck a pirate copy on the system, but charged her for a OEM install. She had to get a legit copy before I could finish reinstalling the OS (which it needed anyways).
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:01:10 AM EDT
[#14]
order the XP SP2 CD, i tried down loading & got a virus, called my in home puter expert & he cleand up my HD & installed SP2 & AVG Anti Virus.........

in fact AVG is a freebie & one of the best anti virus progs on the net

www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:14:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been using SP2 on my desktop and this laptop at work ever since it came out.  I have seen no adverse affects.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top