Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2001 8:17:56 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I am dying to get a nice Garand.  It looks like my choices come down to Miltech, Fulton Armory, or CMP.  Since CMP is so much cheaper it seems to be the way to go.

Now, since I have not shot anything beyond 100 yards. How hard it is to hit anything at these matches.  I can group pretty well at 50 and 100 yards.  Just want to know what to expect before I make a complete fool of myself.  Also, what is required to shoot these matches?  Can I do it with my AR?

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
When I shot the DCM, it was not required that you actually hit the target, just as long as you participated.  I believe they have lowered the requirement from 2 shoots down to 1 shoot.  And you had to belong to a sanctioned state-level shooting organization, such as Calif. Rifle & Pistol.  Have fun! you will get a Garand for the price that is head and shoulders above anything you find in the commercial market.
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Matt:

You already have the most important ingredient (desire).  Your AR is fine.  Depending on how it is set up, it will be either a match rifle or service rifle (no optics!!)  Reduced matches are held at 100 or 200 yds, so you'llbe fine.  Full course matches are shot at 200 (standing and sitting), 300 (prone) and 600 (prone).

You might post this question on the competition forum, lots of helpful of people.  Might also look at these sites: [url]www.mountainwebs.com/lrgc[/url] (click the highpower intro tab), and [url]http://arizona.rifleshooting.com[/url]

Welcome to the game!!

SRM
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#4]
MattS -

The "aiming black" at 200, 300 and 600 yards appears teh same size as it does at 100 yds.

The scoring rings get smaller (on reduced yardage ranges) but hitting the target is simply a matter of dialing in your sights, and then shooting as normal.

Get in the game - you'll love it!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Matt:  Hopefully, your AR doesn't have a muzzle brake on board.  Both CMP and NRA rules forbid the use of muzzle brakes.  Somebody next to you blasting away with muzzle brake can REALLY affect your scores with each one of their shots, as their expended gas ends up in your face...

USGI flash suppressors are OK.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#6]
It will be up to the person running the Garand clinic whether you are allowed to shoot an AR with a brake for the 50 "familiarization" rounds.  Some will - some won't.  My club has Garands, M1As and a BM DCM that we loan people for the clinic if they need them.  Maybe the club you find will, too.

In any event, once you complete the clinic you can't shoot a rifle with a brake in a sanctioned match.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Luckily, my AR does not have a brake on it, so I shouldn't have to worry.  Thanks again for the info.

Garandman, that makes me feel much better.  Can't wait until I get to try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top